Didn't Do Much for Me; Photos Attached - New Iberia, Louisiana

Due to years of horrible acne, I've been left...

Due to years of horrible acne, I've been left with an awful texture and lots of scarring. Over the years, I've tried numerous procedures that offered minimal improvement. The only option now is laser resurfacing and hopefully, I'll have that performed within the next year. In the meantime, I decided to have dermal filler injections to the marionette lines. I was so tired of looking like a puppet!! And, I planned that by the time the filler was completely absorbed, I'd be ready for the laser.

After countless hours of research performed on Real Self, I made an appointment to have Radiesse injections by my trusted dermatologist. I have been seeing her for about eighteen months. She has numerous credentials and teaches at several universities. She is also considered one of the best in the state at laser resurfacing. Every procedure that she offers, she has had performed on herself. She explained that she does this so that she will be able to understand what her patients feel during and post-procedure and better explain to them each step along the way.

She had previously performed several subcisions as well as a TCA/Jessner Peel on me. Anyway, I went on for the injection on March 20, 2012. I was expecting that I would need several syringes for the marionette lines and cheek area. However, I was told the only area she would concentrate on would be the marionette lines. She stated, "I'd rather do one area extremely well instead of giving you not enough product in several areas". She did end up using two syringes (at $700.00 each) but only in my marionette lines.

About a week later, her nurse called to follow up with me and I mentioned that it looked like there was filler placed everywhere EXCEPT in the actual lines. I was advised to give it another week because it takes about 14 days for the filler to smooth out. On April 12, 2012, I was asked to submit before and after photos because they were 'excited' to see the final results. So, I did as asked and also included in the email that I was somewhat disappointed. There were several emails back and forth but my concern was never addressed. I requested several times that, if possible, for the physician to review the pre and post injection photos and let me know her thoughts on the outcome. Each time, I was only reassured that my results was great and let them know when I would be ready to schedule the laser procedure!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much improvement. I understand that each person is different and the results are never guaranteed. I would love to have some feedback from others here on RealSelf. For me, the results were not worth the $1,400.00. However, I do believe that Radiesse is a fabulous product that has helped numerous people.

Hi, Cynthia. But do you recommend Radiesse? Did it cause any sideeffects like in all the bad reviews here? Like allergies or something?
Hi Gerry. I had absolutely no bad side affects with the Radiesse. I had a little bruising but I don't consider that a reason not to get it. I feel that when used in the right hands and placed appropriately, Radiesse is an amazing product that can give amazing results. I hope this helps you in your decision making :). Take care.
I had 2 syringes of radiesse in my cheeks yesterday to give them volume. I paid the discounted rate of $2200 and was told by the doctor to come back in a few weeks for more radiesse filler in the cheeks as the body will absorb some of it. Has anyone been told this ?
Hi Todderik. I have heard that it's sometimes recommended to get a 'booster' a few weeks after the initial injection. How do you like your results so far? I hope it's everything you had hoped for :).
Thanks for the info :). I've done quite a bit of research on micro-needling and the reviews and results are very encouraging. Thanks for reminding of this option. Yay to you on your fabulous results!!
This doctor isn't in your area, but I will just wanted to show an alternative way to help your acne scars. I'm considering it myself. Maybe there is a doctor in your area that knows how to subsize acne scars

cynthia and vanr...i had similar scarring issues and tried fillers and laser resurfacing with minimal results that diminished rapidly. then i found microneedling, and now my skin is nearly evenly planed, NO MORE SCARS! i had the dermaroller technique twice, it has vastly improved my skin and confidence. though you can buy do-it-yourself rollers on the internet, please do not try this at home, on your own. to get a proper result, you need a cosmetician/technician to "roll" the area for you. basically, the needles go below the dermis and into the "deep" scarred pockets, where presently there is no circulation. (rub an ice cube over your face for a few minutes, and then look in the mirror, all the scarred areas will still be white, while the healthy areas will be red from blood flow beneath). after the needling procedure, the scarred areas are "opened up" to circulation, and this same icing will show there is blood flow beneath. now the scarred areas are encouraged to rebuild new collagen (what is missing in the scar depression). i had several laser treatments six weeks after the needling to encourage collagen production. i am thrilled with my results. believe me, up til this point i had tried everything. i have no affiliation with any micro needling product or supplier. i am just sharing this info because it worked brilliantly for me, and i have seen others in the same aesthetician's office where i had the procedure done with fantastic results also. make sure you get the original, german, derma roller and have a licensed professional work on you. you won't regret it!!!
What would you recommend for people with big pores? Do you think this procedure would help improve this type of issue as well, and also to just even out the texture of your skin? Thanks for sharing, your information was very informative!!!
Hi Sweetmamalove. I went to one in Baton Rouge. Next time, I'll stick closer to home :)
If a doctor isn't addressing your issue, it is time to seek out another doctor. I would also go as far as reporting them to BBB.
Also I'm a little familiar with area you live. Did you see a doctor in New Iberia or Lafayette?

I, too, have deep scars from acne. One on each side of my chin and one on my cheek. I had them filled. She used one vial at $800. She did a great job filling as the scars were almost flat. I had Botox on each chin site as well. However, it has been less than a week and the results are about gone. This was a complete ripoff.

Thanks AgeRebel. I'm sure you'll be fine. I think my issue is that the filler wasn't placed IN the marionette lines and that is something I asked about following the procedure when I realized it, but it wasn't addressed. In a smaller wrinkle where the filler WAS placed, the results were great!
I agree with Megan. I don't see much right now HOWEVER, I have read that Radiesse is the filler that is supposed to stimulate collagen production (right?). So maybe (hopefully) it will fill out later. I'm wondering if the type of filler matters as to why some are absorbed more quickly on different individuals than others. I am considering Radiesse because it's supposed to last longer, supposedly, than the others like Restylene and Juvederm with which I've had success however I can't afford to go in every six months for touch-ups. That's why Radiesse seems like either more bang for my buck in the long run, or, if I get dissatisfying results like you, a giant loss of money.

I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped. Bummerola.

Alright, as much as I wish it wasn't the case, I have to agree with you. I don't see any major changes - and that is beyond a bummer for $1400.

Isn't it strange how it seems for some people the filler just disappears? You would think 2 syringes would be so noticeable. Sorry you didn't see more results. :-/

Please keep us posted on how things are looking & feeling.