5 Stars & then Some!

Breast reconstruction due to bilateral...

Breast reconstruction due to bilateral prophylactic mastectomy which was performed because of breast cancer risk (family history, BRCA gene mutation).

Hey Megan. The procedure itself has been minimally "trying"... I would much rather undergo surgery than be faced with cancer. However, beyond the procedure itself, the most trying part was explaining to close family/friends why I was doing this. Awareness is everything & I'm thankful that many family with the same genetic predisposition to breast cancer have begun the process now... This procedure is 100% worth it; even if I do develop breast cancer one day, at least I can say I did my best to try to prevent it.

You certainly did, and you took a very brave & proactive approach to doing so!

That is wonderful you found such a caring doctor. Heading to the parking lot to check on you is definitely going the extra mile. Isn't it amazing how something that probably took him 10 minutes showed you his level of care? So glad you received that!

As for the procedure itself, do you mind me asking what you felt was the most trying part?

Nashville Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Wendel is above words. The care and consideration he has shown me during my breast reconstruction has been commendable. Dr. Wendel’s humble humility allows me to ask questions comfortably and be at ease during procedures. He is always attentive to my questions and makes me his priority during all appointments. Simple things, like sitting down when I have questions and remembering “me” outside of my medical record, makes him an admirable professional. Dr. Wendel realizes that his work is a reflection of himself, so I know to trust his judgment and expertise. I also appreciate that Dr. Wendel’s patient compassion goes beyond the bedside. I was eager to get home the morning after my surgery and was promptly discharged after seeing a member of his team. When Dr. Wendel arrived and inquired about my status, he realized he had just missed me but I might still be on-site (my husband was filling post-surgical prescriptions in the pharmacy), so Dr. Wendel came down to the hospital parking garage at the chance I was still there. I knew then, I had nothing to worry about. What a great feeling to know my surgeon cared as much about “me” as the surgical outcome. This care has been evident during all post-surgical visits. Words cannot express the true professionalism Dr. Wendel exudes every day while maintaining a very real, skilled and human approach to medicine. He is without doubt, the bar I will set for any future doctor.