Flank Liposuction in Addition to Tummy Tuck, Extended

There were several procedures performed at the...

There were several procedures performed at the same time. I've broken them down for ease in searching and description. The Liposuction was performed along with the tummy tuck (click here to read my review) to get rid of FAT and make the hips and butt look uniform and feminine. You should know that Liposuction HURTS. They told me that but I wasn't prepared for the pain and the duration of discomfort. Bruising and swelling also occurred and it was difficult to sleep in a bed. In fact I'm still sleeping in a recliner. After almost 3 weeks I can finally bend over, reach and the bruising is gone. The tummy tuck pain was minimal due to a pain pump which was carried in a fanny pack, the tiny drip lines were stitched in right over my belly button. Most of the pain I experienced was due to the liposuction. Dr. Hasen prescribed pain meds; Nucynta. One day after surgery I went in for a post op and had to be taken off the Nucynta as I was overmedicated. Thereafter I took 4 ibuprofen 3 times a day for 4 days. Let me tell you that wasn't enough. Not having anything to reduce the pain really put me behind as far as recovery went in my mind. I wasn't able to tolerate much of anything until I finally asked the patient co-ordinator to see if Dr. Hasen would prescribe a pain med the following Saturday. He did and I usually took 1/2 table of Hydrocodone every 4 hours as needed. It wasn't long before that was gone. Then I started taking Tylenol as Ibuprofen doesn't agree with my stomach. Again, the pain was more than I could tolerate. Fatigue set in and when I should have been walking and getting around better, I was moaning and feeling sorry for myself. Finally I called in for more pain meds. Last night was the first time I felt like I might be coming around. I've been taking 1/2 tablet 3 times a day, it takes the edge off the pain so I can function. Tomorrow, Monday, March 30th I intend to start weaning myself off. My advice is not to wait as long as I did to get relief from pain. I thought I was tougher than I obviously am. You get no brownie points for putting up with pain. My age worked against me I think. Even 10 years ago I may have been able to handle this better. One more thing; my surgery was scheduled to 10 a.m., I didn't reach the recovery room till after 9 p.m. My husband was a wreck as we were told it would be a 6 hour surgery. It was a great deal of surgery, tummy tuck with flank liposuction, upper and lower eyelid surgery with lateral subcutaneous brow lift. One more recommendation...and this comes from my husband who was my caregiver. I stayed overnight at the clinic after surgery and hired a private nurse. Best thing for both of us. My husband thinks I should have arranged to have a nurse for at least one more day. I guess I was a handful.

Dr. Kent V. Hasen

Please see the review I submitted for the tummy tuck. It's all in there. Short but sweet...he's great.

Good luck with the healing. I can not imagine doing both procedures at once. You are one brave lady.
Thanks ColoradoMaiden, but really, I didn't know what I was in for. Glad it's over and so far it's very worth it!
Post picture when you are up to it. I love to see how beautiful all the ladies are afterwards.
Thanks for sharing on RealSelf.  How is the pain med wean going?
Hi Jill81. I'm not taking as many pills or as often as I was. But I still need to take 1/2 pill once in awhile, just to be able to function and get myself moving more. Had my 3 week check up yesterday, looking good so far. The only problem was a small dent above my belly button that was a bit red. The nurse said it was normal as the pressure from the swelling was pulling on the stitches. The doctor, however decided to put me on a weeks work of antibiotics as he felt there could be infection. Since taking them the dent has returned to normal skin color and looks like it may be getting smaller. This has really been a learning experience.
I'm glad that dent is getting better so you don't have to worry about it.  I've heard other people talk about that happening so I think it is normal too.  I hope you keep us posted on your continued healing!