It Works Body Wraps Review: Scam or Real? -Colorado

As a Community Manager at RealSelf I've pretty...

As a Community Manager at RealSelf I've pretty much seen it all. We've all been curious about the home-treatment body wraps so as the CM of Body Wraps I was given the opportunity to test and review the It Works brand wraps. In all honestly I do not believe they will work one bit, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

A little about me:

I'm a 33 year old active mom who is physically fit and I eat pretty clean. I love to trail run all summer, then ski all winter. I'm normally 5'8 and about 136-140 lbs (it fluctuates in that range) and a size 4 or 6. This spring I found out I had a hip injury and have been benched from all my favorite activities until I can have surgery this fall (long waitlist for my doctor). So I haven't been running or doing all my normal balls to the wall training. I've also been doing a little self-pity eating. As a result my weight has gone up to about 142-146 lbs and I feel less muscley and more doughy. Size 6+ I refuse to go buy clothes right now. Not cool. My saddle bags and the thuttocks (where the thigh meets the buttocks and bulges in that unholy way) aren't looking too hot, so perfect timing for a body wrap review! Hashtag silver lining!

Costs and ordering:

I ordered online and did NOT sign up for the auto-enroll "loyal customer program". They advertise the wraps to be $59 but that is if you sign up for said program. In reality this was the cost breakdown: 1 set of The Ultimate Body Applicator body wraps (4 total treatments): $99 Fab Wraps (green bandage material to hold the body wraps in place): $7 Shipping and taxes: $12 Total: $118

They shipped pretty quickly via USPS and I've never received an email from them so I guess I don't have to worry about constant "buy more" emails. Because It Works is a direct sales company you have to pick an It Works Distributor to buy from so they get a commission. I am in a moms Facebook group and knew of a woman who was a Distributor so I used her name. I haven't heard a peep from her so either she isn't that active of a seller or I'm about to (hoping for the former).

Delivery! Their delivery boxes are cute, I'll give them that. Although I felt like a tool walking home from the Post Office with a box that screamed It Works on it. I've added two pictures of what was in the box.

Time to Wrap:

As I mentioned I've chosen to test out my least favorite fatty area, which is my outer thigh/thuttocks. Since I have two legs (imagine!) that means I will get two total treatments, since each leg requires one wrap application and I have 4 total. The directions are really basic (choose area and clean, open wrap, apply wrap, wrap over with ace bandages/plastic wrap/fab wrap, leave on for 45 minutes minimum, remove and discard, rub remaining lotion into skin). Ummm okay. Then you can repeat in 72 hours.

First Treatment:

The whole process is pretty straight forward. Once my upper thighs were covered and secured with the fab wrap I put some loose PJ pants on and am currently just sitting back and writing this first part of my review. The wraps smell minty and feel like icy hot. The fab wrap material is environmentally reprehensible and is a thin plastic foam that rips very easily, but it was simple to put on. I think you would probably need to buy one every time you buy a Ultimate Body Applicator kit. But if I were going to do this on a regular basis I'd just pony up and buy two ace wraps and reuse them.

I've had the wraps on for about half and hour and feel fine- no skin reactions or anything. The directions just say a minimum of 45 minutes so I'll just wear them until I go to bed. I'm sitting and drinking water. I drink a lot of water in general so this isn't out of the ordinary.

My pre-wrap thigh measurement (where the saddlebag fat pocket is the biggest) is 22 inches.

Can't wait to see if anything happens, but like I said before I'm pretty skeptical of this whole industry.  I will take more pics of the application process with my next treatment, I was trying to get this done in the bathroom while my daughter was running around so I was a little rushed ;)

24 hour update

No change.  22 inches

I tried to wear them overnight because I read somewhere that you could do that, but they kept sliding down my legs a little and bugging me so I took them off in the middle of the night.  I had them on for about 5 hours.

I did have a dream that my legs went from 22 inches to 14 inches overnight and apparently that was a good thing (yikes- that would be so skinny that a Barbie doll would look heavy by comparison).  Maybe this is my subconscious telling me to stop worrying about "society's unrealistic expectations" of large thigh gaps and to embrace the saddle bags!

I'm still drinking lots of water.  Ate really clean today, haven't pigged out on s'mores even though I have all the ingredients in my pantry and they are calling to me (have you ever tried a nutella s'more?  Yeah, you're welcome).

48 Hours...drumroll......

Still no change.

Drinking lots of water, eating super clean as per usual.  I'm adding my belated before pics, too.  My phone and computer don't seem to be talking so of course one of the pictures won't cloud over to my computer so I'll add it when it does. Tomorrow I'll do the second treatment of the same area and take more pics.

Round 2- not the results I was expecting

I had a busy weekend and didn't have a chance to update my review, but I did do a second treatment on Saturday night.  This time I cut the wrap in half so that I have the opportunity to do a third treatment in a few days, and since half the wrap covers my saddle bag no prob.

I followed the directions, just like last time, and chose to wear the wraps overnight for 8 hours.  They moved around a bit because I toss when I sleep, but they kept my saddlebags covered no problem.  The next morning I had to take a shower to get ready for an event, so I just skipped the soap in an effort to keep as much of the wrap solution on my skin.

I've added some pictures to show what the wrap looks like when it is fully unwrapped, and some of the application process.  I wasn't able to take video- it was really awkward to get my phone to balance and actually show what I was doing so I gave up on that, but the whole process is super straight-forward.

I've noticed that the main It Works website has basically no information as far as how to get the best results, tips and tricks, etc.  However the independent distributor websites have a ton of tips for getting results.  So does that mean the main company does not endorse any of these tips but they let their sellers say whatever?  Also the main site says the wraps tighten, tone, firm and reduce the appearance of cellulite.  They don't mention rapid weight loss or losing inches.  Yet there are crazy before and after pics all over the internet that imply otherwise.

Results:

Oh and I should mention- I ate a ton of salt yesterday and my measurement today is 22.75!  WTF!  So I'm starting to think these multiple inches people lose after doing the wraps are really from them drinking lots of water and cutting out the salts.  Just my opinion.  I do think these wraps may serve as a catalyst for people to start living a healthier lifestyle, and they also sell green drinks and other more health conscious products so I get that these wraps could help people take the plunge and lose weight.  I've been pretty open about being skeptical about the efficacy of body wraps for weight loss, but I don't think this company is doing anything morally wrong or different than any other company out there (the weight loss industry is a multibillion dollar industry after all and their profits are on the rise at the same rate as obesity).

I'll do the final wrap on Tuesday and keep you posted in the meantime.

Status update!

I haven't updated in a while, life is a little nuts right now!  So thanks to my lady calendar, I opted to wait until Aunt Flow left the building to do the final wrap because I was bloated and didn't want to skew the results. Although now that I think about it maybe the wraps would have helped with the bloat!  Dang!

I have the final wraps on right now and am doing a video entry for the whole enchilada, stay tuned for that :)

Long awaited review videos!

It Works Body Wrap Video Part 1- Overview
It Works Body Wrap Video Part 2- Prep
It Works Body Wrap Video Part 3- Application
It Works Body Wrap Video Part 4- Post-Application
It Works Body Wrap Video Part 5- Treatment Phase
It Works Body Wrap Video Part 6- The Reveal and Results

I've been having trouble figuring out how to splice and video edit but I think I finally figured it out.  Here are the videos of my last wrap- because of their size I had to break it down into multiple videos instead of just 1 big one.

I'm labeling each video part 1, part 2, etc just in case they get jumbled up when they upload.  There are 6 total.

I measured my thigh multiple times after this wrap and saw no change.

n/a

I know when they wrap your broken limbs in a cast for a few weeks, you'll see a large amount of mass gone. But that's from muscle wasting. That's the only time I've seen anything relatively close make a change, but that's weeks of being in a cast, and ofcourse not taking it off.
These wraps are like one grade lower than the supplement scams, how low can they stoop
Just eat fish for your protein and watch your entire body especially your legs get shredded
Super informative videos! You definitely don't need any wraps, but it's fun to watch your process.
You look great!  You don't need those wraps anyway.  You have the figure I keep paying money to get!  But the doctors on here have said before that things like this can't work.  If it can destroy fat cells, it can destroy skin cells.  If it can shrink fat cells, it can shrink skin cells.  No one would want the results a topical would give if it actually worked the way it says it works.

When they start making targeted nanobots that can seep in through your epidermis and dermis, settle in your fat, and start getting rid of it, then a topical will work and you can sign me up for sure!  LOL!  Thank you so much for going through this for us!
Great videos! Thanks for showing the demonstration...by the way - you have great legs!!!
Your videos are SUPREMELY HELPFUL! Thank you so much for sharing!
I really wish these had worked for you...darn!
I bought some ace bandages and ingredients at the store and am going to try a homemade version just to see if I can get them to work.  I've found some recipes that sound sorta promising.  Maybe I should wrap my butt- waaaaay more fat to work with ha ha.
LOL...
I know! They don't work major rip off.
Write a review!
I'm wondering if this has the Placebo effect, where you believe its going to help and it does due to the power of one's mind.
Maybe so- I haven't personally met anyone that any wrap (any brand) has worked on.
Dying to see the video!!
They are loading as we speak!  Sorry for the delay
I did my first wrap and had definitely detoxed after. Not to be gross but I almost felt I did a good cleanse. I went to bed with the wrap and used plastic wrap and wrapped tight. I felt lighter and took photos. 72 hrs later and I did my second wrap, I definitely lost 2 inches since 1st wrap. We will see what wrap 3 brings in a few days…..
Well im evening dieting excersice and lots of water and nothing my tummy looks the same.
iam wearing a wrap rite now this is my second one on my tummy I have not seen results im 5'1 and weight 129 I have 2 kids csections and I gained a lot of weight and my tummys really stretched I think my only option is prob. a tummy tuck if I decide im too scared.. any luck girls with the tummy area
Curious if you've finally noticed any positive results. I'm thinking about doing a wrap tonight at their booth at the county fair. I am a very active 54 year old but due to fibromyalgia and the meds used to ease the chronic pain, I'm sure I've got some major toxicity going on : ( looking forward to your last photo. Thanks for sharing valuable Info!
None at all!  It was a waste of money for me.
Jill I love your curves. You have hips women are paying lots of money for, but who am I to talk. I find fault where ppl don't. Just letting you know you still look great.
Thanks so much!  That is really kind of you.
I do know the suggestion is to not do around your monthly cycle since it isn't as effective at that time so it probably was a good thing you didn't. If you had the gel you could use that during that time - just so you know.
Oh that is good to know- thanks :)