Best Decision I've Ever Made. No Regrets! -

My main motivation was to look in the mirror and...

My main motivation was to look in the mirror and see a lower face/neck that matched the rest of my body, energy level and zest for life. I feel young, stay physically active, am athletic and love to motivate myself and those around me to experience every day to the fullest. I got a lower face (SMAS) lift and am now on day four of recovery. I was awake during the entire procedure and felt,smelled and heard everything. Fortunately I was sedated , totally relaxed and carried on a 3.5 hour conversation with my ps the entire time. I liked her from the get-go. I just wanted my lower face lifted and did not want general anesthesia. I told her I probably will go for neck lift some day but did not want to have more than one procedure at a time. She reassured me that her procedure would entail a lifting and firming of the neck area so I wouldn't need to go for a second operation. At that particular moment I was sold. I am still healing but I am already ecstatic about the change under my chin and upper neck area. I can't wait until all the swelling goes down so I ca download more pictures. It was not a cake walk. I took the pain medication they gave me and the Valium for sleeping (and boy did I sleep to which I credit the quick recovery). Now Day four I'm just taking Xtra strength Tylenol and its working fine. The best part about this procedure is that she went under the skin and pulled up the facial muscles and reattached them so I will only look like myself 10 -12 years ago. That is all I wanted in the first place. I am adding some before and after pics just of my neck and jowl area because the rest is still very swollen. I will add the rest as the inflammation subsides considerably. I would recommend my doctor to anyone. She really listens to you and doesn't try to up-sell services. Her personality is also lovely which is a huge plus:) I
All this being said I don't want to downplay that this is a surgery that requires down time and a lot of rest. I slept A LOT for three days in a row, would get up to eat (preferably soup for meals and yogurt, ice cream or fruit smoothies for snacks and before taking meds). You want peace and quiet and ice religiously and wear your head wrap. Day four you begin to feel like yourself again but take it easy regardless of how good you feel. One last note, i know many want to do two procedures and get it over with, also save money etc. If you can though I truly suggest doing one at a time with local anesthesia. IMHO, the recovery is a lot faster and swift. Blessings to all who take the plunge!

Still loving my SMAS

Four plus months later
I am still so happy I did this for myself... I feel like the difficult past 10 years were just wiped from my face. I look like me but pre-suffering me . The wounds ended up healing well and all is well. If this is something you've been pondering about for a while don't doubt yourself!!!!
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Super professional, confident, great listener, honest, down to earth, lovely, just a great fit for me.

How is everything now, several months post op?? THIS is definitely my next procedure!!
Good on you for doing it! are the scars visible? are they in front of and behind your ears ? Im 42 and hate my loose chin/ jowel, but I am scared of people seeing the scars.
For not having anything done to your neck, it looks terrific, as does your jowl area! Being 6 months post, do you have any residual numbness or nerve sensations?
Im going to have to check your doctor out. The result is exactly what I need. Thanks so much for sharing and just truly wondering however if results lasted and if you are still happy? Regards-RD
Thank you, Lalu! You rock!
Did your incisions heal?  Your neck looks wonderful!!  Did you do this as an early preventative step?  You look very young.  I'm 46 and considering the same thing.
Hmmmm-it's on my mind....I think my Doc does facial reconstruction; THIS totally sounds right up his alley!---think...think...think... :0). Thank you again for sharing!!!
I think out in California and New York City the cost for this procedure can be more than double what you paid.. You look great.
Lalu, looks awesome!! Lalu, I have a couple questions -- I would only like 1 procedure, as well. I am being told that I should have neck lift & lower face, but I like the thought of just 1, of course. So, I want to ask you a few things to see if there is a reason I am being told I should have both. - The thing is..I don't want to look weird... and so I don't want to push something that is not recommended, but I may be just being upsold...? I am not over weight, but I am having the start of the jowl... ugg... -and I have the 2 bands in the neck showing. The bands do not bother me that bad. Yes, it would be great not to have them... but, the jowl is what I am wanting to get rid of. I was told the other day that the bands will only get worse and since they are cutting around there already it would be best to go ahead. ---but, who knows... maybe my bands won't get that bad...? - also want a chin implant, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference w/the ps's that I have had consultations with to want to do both lower fl and neck? So, from what you have learned from research..... what have you learned in the matter? you may not have the band issue in the neck.. that I have though.... x
Well I think my jowel area and upper neck looked horrible lol at the pics. I personally did NOT want to go under. I originally said I wanted the neck also but my surgeon was the one who suggested that If I didn't want general anesthesia I should just do lower face (with tightening of the muscle) and that this would also tighten upper neck all with just local and my answer was when an we do this? I am very happy as mentioned. I went to several surgeons and all others unsold this and that procedure. Personally I got exactly what I wanted. Quick recovery, low discomfort etc. I think you already know the answer to your question.
Looks beautiful, nice and smooth!
Awake the whole time ? Hmmm? Not sure about that part did it seem weird ? Did she just do LIPO on the jowls from like under your chin--or did she actually cut and re-sew stuff? It sounds like the second one, since you mentioned putting your hair in a ponytail. So the sutures are behind you ears? Trying to visualize --these Darn Jowls bother me too! Thx ---glad your recovery is going well!
It was jobs Of weird because I'm so squeamish yet I weighed being out under for an elective surgery and having to recover wake up etc. and dealing with the weirdness of feeling the entire thin ( no pain just as I explained feeling the cuts, tugs and sutures). I absolutely would choose local over and over again. Just my pet peeve. No liposuction under chin.
Ohh good to know--- so no LIPO- I just figured they would LIPO out the "far/jowls"- or whatever makes up jowls ??- so they just "tack/suture stuff down, tug real hard, and snip off the extra"--sorry-- the is so basic if an explanation --but something like that? I agree weighing the "potential complications of general vs local"--I see why local would be the way to go..--thanks! Looks great!!!
Sorry typos---"fat/jowls"
So well said!  And...looking good!  Can't wait to see more pics. :)

Thank you so much for sharing on RealSelf! Your result is amazing!