64 Years OLD, Got Tired of Turkey Neck and Jowls - Montreal, QC

I decided that I wanted to freshen up my face...

I decided that I wanted to freshen up my face before I turned 65 so I went for it! It all went smoothly and I had next to no pain afterwards. Now it's been almost 3 weeks and the scar under my chin is garishly pink and puckered. I also have bruises around there. Been massaging it about 8 times a day. Does this look normal? Would appreciate comments. Thanks!!
Dr. Andreas

Dr. Andreas is a wonderful doctor and a fine surgeon. He is very encouraging and explains things well both before and after surgery.

Give it some time -- everyone does heal differently - if after 7 months you feel like not as expected -- just have laser done
interesting to read the above posts... I too had a neck lift Nov. 2013. The healing has been long and painful. i still have not been able to work out. the scar below my chin is very ugly not healing well at all. i think i was not hired for a job because of the scar still protruding; i could see the interviewee turn her head when i moved my head up and my chin was exposed ... ouch! i too am a slow healer i think it will take a year as my doctor told me to wait 1 year to analyze the results. best of luck!
How are we doing -- feeling more comfortable with surgery --- numbing I am almost 5 months and some areas still numb
I am now at week 7; I'm doing much better although some areas still numb and taut, but I know that's to be expected. Still have some red streakiness at the jawline and the scar under my chin has not completely smoothed out. Time will tell but I frankly don't think it ever will. Doc says to keep massaging to break up the scar tissue. I feel ok with makeup on but still too uneven in color to go bare-skinned. Will finally start working out again one week from now.Trying to find some makeup that stays on through exercise, as I perspire a lot; I just bought some Smashbox Studio Skin 15 hour foundation and will be trying that out. Hope you are all healing beautifully...
What are you putting on the scar? At this point, it's probably keloid scar tissue. Maybe speak to a dermatologist? I had it before & was prescribed Clobetasol Propionate. It dissolves scar tissue.
Thankfully my follow-up exam ruled out any keloid scar; it's not that thick or raised. The doc definitely said there is no need for silicone sheet at this time. I am not a fast healer and it's taking longer than some...
Try Dermablend makeup products. They stay on in water/sweat.
Try the Dermablend cosmetic line for your makeup. They make products that resist water.
Just keep up the massaging
Your neck looks better than mine does now & I am almost at 6 months post surgery. My bruising has gone away as I'm sure yours will soon, too.
Thanks for the encouragement! This week I went out in public, with some creative makeup and I'm pretty sure I looked normal to others. The good news: I ran into an old acquaintance at the mall and she exclaimed: "It's been a long time... wow! you look great and have changed a bit!!" So I guess I pulled it off... My upper neck near the ears and my jawline are still numb and feel as though someone is pulling them taut, but overall it's great. I was told that I should continue with the massages to the scar as it takes time to flatten out... sigh... I still wear my face compression thing at night, but I wear a gauze underneath at the ears, under my chin and under the back velcro. Also, I wear it backwards so that the seam doesn't push into my skin. Do you have photos of your neck posted here??
Have you looked into the silicone scar gel? It's for raised scars.
I have been using Biocorneum gel and silicon strips for 3-4 months now. I can't wear my hair pulled back as it is really scarred on my left side jaw & neck. thanks for your input
If you are that far along in your healing, ask the Dr for Clobetasol Propionate, it works great for softening & reducing keloid scar tissue.
Thanks, I will ask him about it. I went to see my dr. yesterday and he claims that I am just a "slow healer".
Are you taking any herbs to promote healing? Try adding 50mg zinc,. 3x/day. I'm also taking Arnica, Bromelain & Turmeric for bruising/swelling but you don't seem to have much of that at all. Also, at 2 weeks, my surgeon suggest suing a silicone scar healing cream. I bought it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AV14GTE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for your great advice. I had not heard that zinc helps promote healing... I raised the question about the silicone cream but was told that it will not be necessary and it's too soon to be using these creams and sheets. Keep massaging: that is my mantra... If I don't see better results by my next check-up I will be sure to bring it up again. I got the name of your suggested product, so thank you for that. How long after you used the cream did your scar shrink down??
My scars are barely visible at 17 days post surgery. I've only been using the gel for a for few days now.
Lucky youuuu!! Keep up the nice healing :-))
Thanks for posting on RealSelf! Your scar does look a bit raised. What does your surgeon say about it?