Banded in 2008, F You Have to Move Alot, Not the Best Procedure - Montana, MT

In 2008 I had reached 280 lbs, and decided I had...

In 2008 I had reached 280 lbs, and decided I had to do something before i reached 300 lbs. I have 3 metabolic disorders, and no matter how hard I worked out and changed my diet, I couldn't lose more than 10-15 lbs...then would gain back an extra 5 at the slightest deviation. At about 3 yrs into it, the trouble began...I would get an adjustment, and there was never a happy medium, I was in pain and vomiting all the time. At this point, I had reached goal weight of 155 lbs. and was finally experiencing relief in my joints, etc..and was just about to get body contouring. Then, it just kept hurting worse and worse, vomiting more and more. I got so run-down nutritionally, I had no energy to do more than the minimal. I kept going back and nobody listened. this went on until I finally got fed up and moved to LA, thinking, "more doctors, more access". I now regret this huge life-changing attempt to survive. I got on with a world-renowned award winning surgeon and it took them 3 mos to get around to listening well enough to order an endoscopy to see if it slipped. After the endoscopy, no follow-up, and it was clear on the scope that it had slipped, maybe even eroded. I finally went to another surgeon, who was more than willing to help, worked me in in spite of the list he has, and now it has been 3 more months because my insurance companies (yes i have 2 policies!) refused to cover the repair procedure. The doctor emptied the band, to relieve the pain, which helped get me hydrated again, but in those 3 mos. even though I still cannot eat more than a half a cup total at a sitting, I have regained 30 lbs...cannot wear any of my clothing. I was forced to go up 2 sizes to cover myself. I am sure you can imagine after this long journey how depressing this is...still waiting, going on my 7th month here to repair this "pre-existing" condition...Finally my doc talked to my secondary insurance Tri Care and convinced them it was vitally necessary. My newer policy, BCBSIL still refuses to acknowledge this is necessary, I would like to tightly band the lot of them, and see if they still think that. So here i am nearly at Christmas, waiting, I have done pre-op, and still no date. We are retired military, and my husband still works in Afghanistan. It is sad to me that he is over there supporting our troops, worrying about whether I will be ok, here with my daughter, relying on insurance-2 insurance companies-who won't take care of his family.

This is just a warning to you if you cannot maintain a consistant medical situation, and are forced to move through employment, or government service, you may think long and hard about a lap band procedure. It would be better to do something that does not require a constant form of maintenance. I have been through 5 doctors now as a former military spouse. I have found that none of the doctors really want to take on someone else's lap band work, and so you are put way down on the priority list if problems occur...I wish I knew what a maintenance mess it would be before, and I also wish i had known more about the possible complications, they were not clearly explained to me, verbally or otherwise. It was wonderful to be at goal for that year, and i even got back into acting for awhile, but now I feel it would have been better to be bigger and have a heart attack, at least they would give me the attention I needed. Now I am just run-down and miserable.

Hi Dawn, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so sorry that you've had all of these complications, it seems like you've gone through quite a lot since having the band placed.

When you get the band out, will you be having any other type of bariatric surgery, or are you going to rely on diet/exercise to continue your weight loss?

Dale Mortenson

personal reference, no photos on this computer, sorry.