Waited Long Enough - Mobile, AL

I lost weight 10 years ago, weighted 280 pounds....

I lost weight 10 years ago, weighted 280 pounds. Lost down to 145, gained 60 back. Just lost 50 pounds, and figured it's about time I got the TT I have always wanted. I think it has all been what I expected. Can't stress enough about how moving your legs up and down it pulls at your stomach. My goal is to wear a shirt tucked in!

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

So far so good, I just had it done on June 19th 2012

Hey, Rdy - seems to me there has been significant improvement in your TT results in the last month (imho). I know exactly what you mean about not looking like what you expected... I'm in the same boat... but your results have improved despite expectations to the contrary.

Heck, I don't think I even look as good as I did immediately postop - I'm not sure why... could be I'm not getting enough exercise (work has us doing extra hours - all sitting - plus it's still hot here) and not paying close enough attention to sodium intake (I am swelling more now than I did before I think)... but either way, I am trying to be patient, because no matter what, I know the body is still in a healing phase and I think it's going to continue to change, and I would not be surprised if yours continues as well.

I do think you are looking better now one month postop, I hope you see that as well. btw, my results are not symmetrical either. People with fantastic weight loss such as yours are more prone to this from what I've seen. And agree with MyGirls... exercise is going to be key for all of us. I haven't done much except walking, am hoping that once work slacks off and I can get active again my torso will get into some shape. I

I don't think any of us really knew what a long haul this was going to be for some of us. But I do hope you'll stick around and post a year out, will be interested to see if there is further change. :)
Hi there. How are you feeling? How's your result thus far?
I am 4 1/2 weeks po. Each day is a little better. But if someone would have told me after 5 week I would still be hurting and getting tired, I would have told them they were crazy. But guess I am the crazy one. I have come to realize I will never be flat. But at least it looks a lot better then it did. I posted pics last Monday, so that's the latest. How are you doing, and looking ?
I think you can have a flat tummy. It's a huge improvement from before, and I can see positive progress however, I think with some good core training and cardio I think your new tummy will respond nicely. Like you said before at least there isn't as much skin as before which definitely gives you more freedom for different activities and clothing. However, I think you deserve to look how you would be happiest. Does your dr. Offer revisions free of cost or at discount? I think he needs to make you happy and be willing to at least meet you half way. All that said, you look a lot better as time goes on. I'm currently experiencing awful swelling and it's making me go bonkers. I had visions of having 2 weeks recovery, and putting on skinny jeans....... Nope! Lol. Sometimes I feel like maybe I'm being overly critical of my body (perhaps you an relate?). That even though I look BETTER than before I still find discomfort in some of my contouring. Overall I'm happy but I need to get a grip because this is really taking a toll on me. All that said, you are looking better and I bet you are way more comfortable than you were pre surgery ! Keep us posted! Oh and don't be shy with your surgeon, maybe he'll be able to revise some of the contouring after you're fully healed and swelling is gone!
I want to thank you for sharing your experience. I can see why you were worried at first it looks like you had some pretty bad swelling. The last photo you posted looks a lot better. I have read some stories on here where swelling can last months or even years! Maybe you are experiencing that! Best of luck!
Bedurde, yeah, my dr keeps telling me the swelling will go down. But as long as I don't have the hanging skin that the infections can get under, I will be fine. I don't think I will ever have a flat stomach or a pretty one. But it's ok, I am just ready for this to be over and get back to where I can do things again without hurting and being tired. I miss walking every evening! I have come to the conclusion, I get what I get. I will try to post new pics every Monday. I hope some look at my pics and make sure that they ask their Dr's exactly what they should expect to look like after their surgery. I really expected better results :-(
Mine told me today I'm still swollen as well and that the belly will tighten (it feels a bit fatty to me right now, not that I'm complaining, in fact I didn't even mention it - he did - I'm not skinny anywhere else, why should this bit be tight?), so I'm sure you can continue to expect improvement as well. Just stay in contact with the doctor and see where the journey leads I guess. :)
The swelling has definitely gone down, that's good to see. It will continue to decrease and that's encouraging as well. It will be interesting to see where things land when healing is complete and what your PS has to say at that point.

btw, jealous of you driving already... going nuts here. lol.
Looking, Yeah, I am a little happier with it then I was a week ago. I am so ready for the itching and numbness to go away, it just feels so odd. As long as I don't have skin hanging on skin, I will be fine. Talking with you has surely helped me through this! I appreciate all your comments!
When I have questions or hard times, I like responses - but have to take them with a grain of salt because it's hard to tell what people mean or where they're coming from (easy to misunderstand things, I put things wrong all the time!). It's pretty easy here to say "Yay, you got everything you wanted!" but when things are not as expected it is too tempting to be quiet and hope somebody else says something. It happens everywhere, in real life too. Sometimes people don't know what to say, so they don't say anything at all. I'm not good with silence, sometimes that's good and sometimes not so much. :)
Looking4change, how are you doing? Are you able to drive yet? Hope you are healing great!
Haven't driven yet. Got a drain taken out today (yay!) and was thinking of trying a drive sometime today to find some scar lotion at a health food store nearby. Or something... anything. lol. :)
Your question to the realself docs was very well put. Now to be patient and wait. It may take them no time at all to respond, or it may take weeks. Since your doc is on this forum, it may be even touchier, but if these docs are honest (and most seem to be, I don't think they're getting paid to answer the questions) they should step up and give you some useful and encouraging information. :)
Looking4change, I will be patient. I took my shower tonight and some of the swelling has gone down. So it's looking a "little" bit flatter. Just worried about my belly button, it's so deep. But I think I picked the best Dr for the surgery. I went to a total of 4 and he was the one that impressed me the most.I just hope when I walk I don't have skin that jiggles and people can see it through my clothes. Thanks for your help!
Glad to see that somebody with pride in the profession and compassion for a patient has now responded to your plea... rather than somebody just covering up for a fellow physician like the first one seemed to be doing (I work in the field, it happens all the time) - and confirmed what you knew in your heart of hearts, things weren't quite right yet. What will you do with this information? Will you continue to work with your current PS and see if he can correct things after a period of healing if things still are not satisfactory to you by then?
If/when you post a question to the realself docs, it takes a while for the moderators to review the question and then they might edit it (I don't know why they do that but they always seem to)... then it takes a while for the docs to respond. The docs are usually hesitant to comment on another doctor's work but hopefully they can give you some idea of what is going on here. Maybe you are really really swollen. But I understand your frustration. Your before pics look like mine, would have expected the after pics to look the same as well. Your current results are an improvement over where you started, but if it's going to bother you there is no harm pressing the doctor precisely what he did and why the results are what they are instead of what you expected, as well as options for the next step if you are ultimately not pleased with the final result. You paid big bucks for this surgery, he owes you that. In the meantime, keep healing and taking care of yourself. Consider it all a learning experience. When I had LASIK, it took over a year to get my eyesight right. I do understand your frustration. {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}
This is what one of the surgeons on here reponded with. Before you read, I weigh 172 #'s and I am 5' 6" my BMI is 27.8. So I have no idea where he got his information from. I would think that my dr would have told me if he thought I wasn't a good candidate for this surgery. here it goes.

The short answer to your question is - I don't know. From the pictures provided your BMI was in the high 30's if not in the 40's and you were not a great candidate for a Tummy Tuck. The post operative result is reasonable considering the starting point. I suspect what you are seeing is some moderate surgical swelling affecting the significant amount of fat you appear to have had before surgery.

I would wait for it to resolve and embark on a strict regimen of excercise and a high protein low carb diet to get you into a BMI in the high 20's. At that point, you may benefit from a redo set of procedures to get you a MUCH nicer result.

But for the time being there does not appear to be anything out of the ordinary. A quick visit to your surgeon may confirm it.
That's one of the things I don't like about the questions to the surgeons - no way to respond to/correct their replies (not that I ever found anyway) and that answer was simply horse poo, based of course on not knowing the circumstances or the correct statistics (did information get edited out of your question like it did mine?). Wait for more opinions. Your BMI was close to mine. My surgeon lipo'd the upper abdomen to thin it before pulling the skin down, and I almost wonder if that might have something to do with why our results are different - *just a guess.* If you can resubmit the question to include your weight and height, go for it; see if Dr. Happyface changes their tune, lol.
I had a full tummy tuck mine is from hip to hip too. I just wish he would of went like 2 more inches on each side it would of got rid of the love handles. No have no pics don't know how to do it. I do have a bunch of pics on my phone tho.
I had a full tummy tuck, not a body lift when goes all the way around you. I am cut from hip to hip.Do you have pics on your profile?
Was wondering if you got a full tummy tuck or a mini? I had a full tummy tuck done and I feel my dr. Didn't go far enough around on me I still have extra skin on the sides praying that it will flatten out. I am 15 days out
Took pics of how my stomach looks, sure hope it changes ALOT! I am not happy with it right now. But I am going to do everything the DR says. Hopefully others peoples stomach looked this way right after and theirs looks better now. Would love to hear from anyone and their opinions. I was able to get up a lot more today, not hurting as bad. But still taking pain pills about twice a day, sometimes 3 times.
Day 7 PO, Went yesterday June 25, 2012 andIdrains taken out. Didn't hurt at all. It looks nothing like I was hopeing, a lot of loose skin still. But the Dr said it will tighten. He said it looked good. Sure hope he is right. He put me in a girdle garment, it's pretty tight. It takes some getting use to. I was in pain yesterday evening from it being so tight. But took a pain pill and it helped.