More Painful Than I Thought It Would Be..what a Relief Afterwards:-) First Day Though

Had my Mixto fractal CO2 laser today. OUCH what...

Had my Mixto fractal CO2 laser today. OUCH what was it painful. Not at the beginning, later and especially near the eyes and above the lip.

One thing I found very difficult to handle is when the cold air is blown up your nose, you get a panick feeling because you have difficulties breathing. The neck was a piece of cake as it was away from the face and the cold blast was not bothering me, it numbed the intense needle pinches of the laser.

My face is now a bit burning and tight, but no swelling whatsoever. Will see tomorrow how it looks like. And....................... be prepared for the smell of burned flesh...

I had co2 laser done in Oct 2010. I don't see much of a difference. As a matter of fact my skin was more clear before I had it done. Now I have redness and spots of red on my checks. My faces heats up and turns red very quickly if I laugh or get emotional or even with small exercises. My facial skin reacts quickly to turn red and feel very very hot. I have not seen my doctor about this yet, but I am going to this week as it is getting worse over time. I am wondering if anyone else who had Co2 laser is experiencing the same thing?
Samar1619, hopefully you've been getting in to see your doctor for regular follow-ups right? Don't get discouraged just yet. I can absolutely promise you that recovery from MixTo CO2 Microfractional laser can take a long, long time!

Unlike the poster gal pitch you'll see and hear about in the doc's office, this is typically NOT a 5-day recovery. The fact is, you've just gotten a 2nd degree burn on your skin, and with luck it will heal and the redness fade. But it could take MONTHS.

I am now over 6-months post MixTo, and I still have the same stubborn red areas on my face (under each eye and on my left eyelid). I don't anticipate that situation going away any time soon.

But my health issues from the staph infection I developed after the MixTo are largely behind me. I had one final bout of massive hair falling out that lasted 7 weeks.

Good luck to you in your continuing recovery. And YES, this kind of facial redness and sensitivity to heat (or even warm water, I find) is VERY common after laser procedures.
Just reading back, and read about the wrinkles under my eyes. These have gone now mostly but with an lower eyelid correction.
Hey Andrea 1234, Thanks SO much for the update! Turns out I went ahead and got the MixTo treatment in mid-May. Sad to say, but I seemed to have developed a toxic staph infection from the lasered skin (diagnosis given weeks later by a derm doc and my GP doc). It has been a long road to recovery. The staph infection completely derailed recovery from MixTo itself, and even after a 9-day course of antibiotics to kill the staph, I have lingering issues: the soles of my feet are peeling daily, leaving tender skin that's hard to walk or stand on; my lips are extremely tender, and I've had an outbreak of painful blisters around my mouth for almost 3 weeks now. My derm doc says the MixTo redness will likely take 3 months to fade away - so that's all summer long. I have to say for me, too, it was NOT worth it to get MixTo. I had a real health scare with the toxic staph infection (fever of 104F, vomiting, diarrhea, livid skin discoloration) that made me wish I had not had this procedure done.
Hello I do not go on here very often. Sorry, glad to hear though that my story was helpful to you. To be honest, I do not think it made a big difference or a difference at all. One day my skin looked like I was 20 years old again, but that only lasted one day. I would not do it again. My pores go smaller but that is down too another cleaning regime for my face. The lotion of Clinique helped with that. I did not get rid of the discolouration on my neck. He also did a test patch on my chest. It went pink en stood out almost whole last summer. You could see the freckles and sun damage still but a lot lighter. Now it has blended into my freckly sun damaged skin again :-) But hey thats me, a freckly person. I think it is expensive for the result that you get.
Andrea1234, It's been over a year since your MixTo treatment. Your daily diary was EXTREMELY helpful to me, as I am evaluating the MixTo for my face, neck, chest, hands. After reading your journey to recovery (not trivial!!) and the initial outcome (not much of a difference!) I am wondering if things improved? Did your skin tighten up, smooth out, look better in the weeks following? Would you recommend the MixTo?
hi, have you fully recovered? or still have problems with redness and sensitivity? Also, how high was the setting of the laser when you got it done? thank you.
Hi me again, really do not see a lot of difference to justify the amount of money you have to pay for it and the pain you have to endure.
Hi I am now further along the line and do not see a difference to be honest. Yes, I see a difference but in my wallet...Maybe you have to be very wrinkly to see results? Also I have bags under my eyes, which I first did not have. My face still is reddish. I hope that it will improve as promised. My skin reddens more quickly too which I never had a problem with. The other day I had a couple of strong cocktails and afterwards I became bright red with big red spots on my throat and my facial skin felt very hot and burning. Never never had this before. I had to go home because I looked like a traffic light.
Hello, How are you doing since your treatment?
o yes the few wrinkles I have under my eyes do not seem to have improved as the little wrinkles next to my inner eye corners...but again I will wait and see..
Hi its me again. The rash came and went. Most came off after cleaning the face with a mild soap in a hot shower. The skin on my face looked better and clearer two days after and I was very pleased. Now though I do not see much difference with how my skin was before the treatment. The melasma is still there but fainter though, my pore size has not been reduced, I have still red areas on my cheeks. So yes...bit disappointed but apparantly it will improve, so I will be patient...... If there is an interest I can post some photos of the different stages your skin is going through?
Hi Andrea I had co2 laser done in Oct 2010. I don't see much of a difference. As a matter of fact my skin was more clear before I had it done. Now I have redness and spots of red on my checks. My faces heats up and turns red very quickly if I laugh or get emotional or even with small exercises. My facial skin reacts quickly to turn red and feel very very hot. I have not seen my doctor about this yet, but I am going to this week as it is getting worse over time. I am wondering if you are experiencing the same thing?
Guess what, I have developed a rash on my forehead and cheeks. Little red dots with even smaller white dots on them...I never had acne before...
oh dear I just developed some bumps on my upper lip. It is new skin, no flakes but have now bumps....
By the way the cost is 1200 EURO (!) as it is in Europe.
Hello My 2nd day. I slept well. I have a bit of swelling under my eyes what already got less during the day. The neck is more sensitive to touch than the face. Some of my freckles have darkened. I am still bright red and you can see the laser raster still on my face. The skin feels like sand paper and I feel pinches and needles in my face, predominantly on my cheeks. Quite irritating. Every two-three hours I put biafine cream on my face. It does not look like that within 2 days the skin has recuperated itself mostly. We will see :-)