Mixed Emotions on my Facelift

The pros consisted, for me, on the credentials of...

The pros consisted, for me, on the credentials of the doctors, the cons consist of their non-availability for patient follow ups.

I had two procedures done, my "turkey" neck and my jowls. Both were such a distraction and I felt and still do that by getting rid of them I will feel better about my body image.  This was not  done to make me look younger, let's face it, a 68 year old woman is just that, a 68 year old woman.

I have a goal, like a last ditch goal, to get my body in shape, lose a few pounds and  feel physically better. Wanted the face to go along with these improvements.  Nice being able to tie your shoes without cutting off your breath.

I will say there was/is more to these two procedures than I expected, mainly speaking about the healing time. Since this was done only two weeks ago I don't feel it's fair to give a complete opinion, after all, Not until all the swelling goes down and the reddness dissipates along with a few other issues, will I be able to truly say I love, or hated,  I did this.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

At this point I can't truthfully answer either of these questions yes or no.

Hi wayjo, I don't know if you still come on this site, but could you give us an update on how you are doing? I have pretty bad scarring from getting a facelift from Dr. Young, so I'm curious how your scars turned out. Thanks.
Man -- there is that name of surgeon again -- I think we should put out a mass page saying do not use this man -----
I agree, but would Realself.com allow us to do that?
Good question --- probably not but if we just keep mentioning his name as a "No" we could possibly save a few women.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

What's really sad is someone is most likely scheduled with him tomorrow.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thanks for being so supportive and helpful, Marathon Mom!! Are you a former patient of Dr. Young's as well?
No -- my surgeon is in Denver just when reading new posts everything was coming together -- most of the people who had problems were patients of dr young
Good for you -- it all begins with baby steps
I'm in too deep to back out of tomorrow's surgery, and will mention no names now. But good, bad or whatever degree between I WILL name the name after a month or so and all followups are done.
My goodness I've never seen anything like that before. I cannot imagine what type of procedure was followed to allow scarring like that. I will be anxious to view your healed look in about 6 months.
the swelling is not that bad , if you have ever had Jaw surgery you would know what swelling is and the Scar it will heal
When you're planning to lose weight, than that is what you should do first, and not after the face lift because I have had 2 lower facelifts, and each time it took really about 12 months before everything settled. You really should wait at least that long before getting upset. And I know how difficult that is ;-)
I agree, it takes awhile for everything to settle in but I never saw scars like that and I am planning to get 2nd after 20 years and NO SCARS UNDER CHIN BUT I NEVER LET IT GET BAD...I would not accept cut under chin. I am concerned that I had Radiense and Juvaderm filler 5 months ago. I see a surgeon tomorrow and afraid he will not know what i really look like.
A incision under the chin is very normal --- to really tighten all the muscles in the neck that years just took it's toll on --- the only problem I have is that this Doctor has been mentioned numerous times for "______ ups"
Lol Marathon mom. Your posts make me crack up ;)
I am at about the same stage that you are---full face and neck lift,performed on 12/30/08. My scar under chin is only about 3/4 of an inch long, so seeing yours suprises me!! I had mild bruising to neck, but was actually out in public end of first week! Right now, my eyes have some fluid underneath and are still puffy. Can also still feel much swelling in neck area, but looks good
Janis, I see your review from four years ago and wondering how happy you are with your results? The doctor I am planning to go to didn't recommend any cut under the chin and they didn't do that the first time but another doc recommended it as he says now that I'm older (65) I should have those muscles sewed together and then pulled would last longer? Is that what the doctor told you? I have very little loose skin so I'm not sure why it would be necessary. It's the SMAC that is important as far as I know.
Your incision does seem large in the photo. Perhaps the doc had his reasons and needed the access room to adequately resection the muscle under your chin and going down your neck. But it will heal and the scar will fade. It can take a year or more for the scar to get to its final healing point. But it will get there in time. because of where this incision is, it will be all but invisible unless you throw you head back and laugh uproariously with no restraint whatsoever. Some awful chins and neck areas need major work to get them to where they look human and stay that way for a decade or two. I personally had 168 sutures put in my neck and chin to re-support my neck and chin, after my 2nd facelift at about 47. And the best facelifts tend to look much better at 1 or 2 months after surgery. At the six month point, the results will be amazing and that much better still. Finally at a good solid year or a bit more after your surgery, the redness and swelling are gone. There is no touchiness to the areas under your ears, etc.
I believe a cut under the chin makes everything look so beautiful. Without I don't know how one would tighten the muscles - it would seem you would still have a loose neck?
A facelift before 47?

Dear Wayjo, When a patient places their trust and their face in the hands of a surgeon, it is the responsibility and obligation of the doctor to honor that trust and to be available for postoperative questions and issues. I hope your healing improves from what is seen in your photo to a point where you are happy.

Yea, well apparently this one has no right to be operating on faces -- let alone be called a plastic surgeon. Do you have any idea how many women used him and are now scarred for life --- any idea???