Pretty Bad So Far but Hopeful - Missouri, MO

Ok it has only been 12 hours but I didn't want to...

ok it has only been 12 hours but I didn't want to forget how bad it hurt.
which was really bad. I cried. I felt dumb but I cried. I made her stop to
give me breaks sometimes. I am always cold and I was sweating, it hurt so
much. I have had tattoos and I always tell people they don't hurt near as
much as people say. I have given birth I had a tumor cut out of my
uterus area the size of a large grapefruit, and I have broken a small bone
in my back. I am not a big baby this ranked right up there

Also I am bruised, swollen and welted more than I expected too. My
forehead has a small goose egg that looks and feels like I was hit in the
head with a baseball. My jowls look like I had my wisdom teeth removed. My
mouth feels like coming from the dentist after having a cavity filled, it
is hard to drink with out it dripping back out of my mouth. I have been
constantly changing out ice packs hoping that will help with the swelling
and bruising. I am not taking anything for the pain because I am afraid it
might thin my blood and make me bruise more. I cant imagine going to do
this on a lunch hour, that is plain ridiculous, not to mention I was there
3 1/2 hours by the time paperwork was filled out and photos were taken and
my face marked etc. I was so exhausted I slept pretty much 4 hours when I
got home. I am expecting good results I just didn't want to forget this
part.

I wrote that 4 days ago but decided to wait to post it I am not sure why, I think because I have never done this before and wasn't sure I wanted to be so open about it all. 4 days later the swelling is reduced but the bruising is worse. I notice the burn mark more and I still don't want to be seen in public. I don't have the mouth control back yet to drink out of a straw. And I guess it is a nerve thing that when I touch certain areas of my face it sends shooting tingles into my scalp. I will try to keep my post updated if I can figure out how it works.

It has been 3 weeks today, I should probably wait...

It has been 3 weeks today, I should probably wait a month but in case I forget next week and I have time today. I did want to say I was told ahead of the procedure that all this numbness, swelling and bruising would occur so I didn't want to leave the impression otherwise. Also I think I forgot to say they gave me a valium and a vicodin right before. I feel much better about it now. Although those pictures of me freak me out, it was pretty awful looking. I still have numbness and sensitivity along my jowl line up to the middle of my cheeks. I still cant drink out of a straw and I notice when I talk for a long time my face actually hurts. My mouth goes crooked when I talk and it is different on one side than the other. I also feel like it is hard to chew food, I need to take smaller bites or I feel like I am a loud chewer. Gross Right! Just trying to be detailed. I have 1 tiny bruise left. I feel like there may be improvement on one side of my nasal folds.

Well it has been 4 weeks now. I feel almost...

Well it has been 4 weeks now. I feel almost exactly like last week except all the bruising is gone. I still feel a bit swollen but not enough for anyone else to probably notice but I do, in the areas I wanted tightened they actually just seem puffier. My skin feels either tight or maybe just dry sometimes, I am not sure. It doesn't look tight. It is still very numb and a tiny bit sore. My mouth is still going crooked I tried to take a picture of that but it just looks weird. Also the area on my forehead where it had welted up is still slightly raised and bumpy almost like it caused clogged pores or something. Right now I really don't see any improvement but it is still early for what they say for noticing.

I am at my 2 month mark. I feel like I am pretty...

I am at my 2 month mark. I feel like I am pretty much back to normal. Although I am going to sound like negative Nelly because I still want to say ...I still have the spots on my forehead that I will have to ask them about if they don't go away at the end of 3 months because they don't seem to be fading. I am not sure if they are burn marks or scars from welts or what. My mouth is still crooked but I can drink out of a straw so I feel like it is getting better. Again my skin feels very dry almost like it could crack but I wonder if this is the tight feeling others talk about and I just don't think of it the same. (I know when I was pregnant it took me a long time to figure out that feeling was the baby kicking and not just food digesting feelings so maybe my brain doesn't associate feelings as well as other people) The way I would describe the feeling is when I first started using Differin and my skin got sensitive and flaky. It doesn't look tighter to me but again maybe when you look at yourself everyday you don't notice the subtle changes. The only part I still feel swollen is right under my chin, when I look down I feel like it makes a double chin area that if I had before I really don't remember. Almost all the pain and tingling is gone. And again I am going to wait to reserve my judgement until the 3 months have past. I will add new photos even though I think they will all just look the same. I am updating now mostly for myself because I want to remember how long things took.

HI, it is now 3 months. I honestly don't notice...

HI, it is now 3 months. I honestly don't notice much difference, I have an appointment to go back in and do the after photos and hope I can see a difference in them. I will post my at home shots. Everything does feel back to normal my mouth doesn't feel crooked anymore etc. I still see the forehead marks but less. My skin does still feel dry/tight almost like I have a tiny sunburn.

I had ultherapy almost 3 months ago ! Big difference ! I look five years younger at least! I'm a 48 yr old man. It was worth it! I do notice I don need to do some nore fillers in a few months to look even more better AND I plan to do another treatment on neck and forehead . Ultherapy plus fillers and maybe Pelleve I think will all work for me (Since Pelleve can get more near the eyes and mouth than Ultherapy (before they get the new wand that might get close like Pelleve. I will Do Ultherapy again! No bruising & minor swelling ...went to the supermarket after ! ( Fillers & Botox has more down time than Ultherapy ! WARNING! Ultherepy HURTS! More than I expected ! I could have been put under or out for the procedure but choose not too! Ouch! Pain = Beauty !.....No Scars! ...But It gave me an overall facelift and hit my Problem areas a good 60% fix! I just want more....Great alternative to surgery ....I'm too your for that! So they say...So these treatments....for 5 more years...and I'll squirrel away some funds for going under the knife in 10 years if I need! at least I'll look gr8 till then and have it payed for before i take the plunge! Yes this all will cost a lttle more that I thought ! Shop around!! It's doable!! ...;-)) I'm grateful !! And I look like I'm 38! not 48!
Had ultherapy one month ago. My smile was crooked next day! Now 1 month post treatment it has improved, but still not back to normal, hopefully soon!
My smile is crooked after ultherapy (now one month post treatment) getting better, but not completely back to normal. Hopefully soon it will be normal.
I had Ultherapy done last September and I love it. The first 3 weeks you can see that my eyelid opened up like I had botox. Going in again 1year 1 month later to do it again
You look great. I looked at your before pictures and now, you look younger and just very refresh. Definitely worth it. I think it is hard to tell since you look at yourself daily. You look fantastic=)
Don't expect any more results, I am so mad at myself for being so stupid and out $3,500 bucks
I feel ultherapy almost 2yrs ago made my jowls worse as it initially swells area so people think it improved them and then as that goes away it melted that fat in weird places and not always pleasing result. I am now considering a chin implant or small lift when initially that never would have been a thought!!! They really need to test these devices longer before touting their effectiveness and maybe offer trials free to willing women/men so they don't feel ripped off later or not have the money to fix any damage as a result of this or any procedure.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

So sorry you had this reaction! :( I had ultherapy in October (at board certified plastic surgeon's office by a technician) and didn't have any bruising but had headaches and pain (and "visual snow" now for six months after. It was extremely painful too when they did it (didn't cry and only had a little Tylenol- they gave me nothing else!) They let me come in to do a retouch on the neck since they learned going down further on the neck now can help with lines so I went in and felt nothing! (well very little) when she said "ok here we go" I said "I feel nothing, must not be working" She said they updated the software after complaints from pain and now somehow it's just as effective but comparing last time to a 10? this time was a 1 or 2. I thought gee, I wish they'd updated it BEFORE I got mine in October! (review coming soon) Again So sad to hear that you had to go through all this pain and bruising and hope it paid off! six months later? I still have visual snow/after images (you can google or wiki it- it's a problem w vision. Lovely eh? :-/
I think the warnings from Meredithrn and about not taking anti-coagulating foods, supplements or drugs posted recently really nail the problem. I had a large area of very dark bruising within 12 hrs. and was taking aspirin and Celebrex prior to Ultherapy. If the procedure is based on "thermal coagulation" as stated by the company, it would make sense that anticoagulants or blood thinners should not be taken prior to or after the procedure. I was not warned and only at 2.5 weeks post is the bruise starting to fade. I hope that I do get a positive result after all of this! I am also impressed that one person even had her eyelids done! As with all things, some providers look at the patient as a whole system and want their patients to have a good result. Others just turn on the machine and move the wand. Thanks for both of the posts about this!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Glad a provider responded as I had emphatically stated over a month ago that the "issues" people are reporting are not common and/or in my opinion ok. I have had full face (excluding nose and eyelids) it twice and except for some very minor jawline tenderness the first time (2 to 3 of 10), no other post treatment discomfort. I was told to go off all pain relievers and anti-inflammatory supplements and drugs except Tylenol for two weeks prior. I was given one Percocet (I have a low pain tolerance - even with Novocaine -so picked up prior with a prescription as physician cannot dispense in ID office) and they gave me a sedative when I arrived (took both about 45 minutes before procedure). Again, while I am sure there are some good treatment providers that are not a doctor, I can't emphasize enough that I personally have only been willing to let a board certified surgeon do my treatments (and at the very least a physician should be physically in the office where one has it done - so many med spas have a "Dr. Director" but he or she is seldom there (which state laws should not permit).
Can I ask for those those of you that had bruising were you taking any type of aspirin etc that would make you more prone to bruising? I intentionally didn't take any over the counter pain relievers a week before my ultherapy as I likely would have bruised. Thank you for all the postings.. Glad to know I'm not alone in the pain I experienced.
No, I did not take any type of Ibuprofen. I do bruise easily when getting fillers or occasionally Botox. But I never expected or was warned about bruising with this.
I was not taking aspirin or anything like that but I do think I bruise easily normally.
I am on no mess at all and I had horrible bruising! Not worth it
I really appreciate this review, great pictures and information and responses. It is so helpful. Thanks
Thanks for posting the 2 month pictures. I don't think your jowls look droopy at all Looking at your 4 week pictures and comparing, they look tighter.
I had Ultherapy 4 days ago. And I look like hell! I think everyone is different and you shouldn't let anyone make you feel bad about posting an honest review. I am super bruised on both sides of my face, swollen, and my forehead hurts. I came on here to see if anyone had the same side effects I did. Boy! I hope it was worth it!
Julie, I soaked my face in ice water multiple times daily for about a week after to help the swelling and drink lots of water. Also, take bromelain (a natural anti inflammatory) Good luck..please be patient and you'll see positive results. I did it 2 1/2 weeks ago and am just now seeing some positive results.
Julie, I had the same result as you when plus terrible, dark purple bruising and swelling on my jaws when I had Ultherapy two weeks ago. Now the bruising is getting better, but certainly not gone, the swelling is going down but my face is pitted. I took bromelain and used cool compresses too. My upper neck looked like someone strangled me. I sure hope the collagen comes along because I don't want to look like this. I wish they had warned me about how I would look. I had to cancel Easter plans because people were so shocked when they saw me. My face is still very tender to the touch.
Thanks for your encouragement. Still bruised, but far less swollen
Thanks so much for your encouragement. Still bruised, but far less swollen
Yep, I had no idea I would be so bruised. I expect it with needles, but not this.
Hi Carolina, I'm glad we all have this forum to talk about experiences, because I think everyone needs to know, this is no easy walk in the park. I will probably post my own review when I have more time. I don't think the immediate results of bruising and pain would have stopped me from doing it, but if I don't have spectacular results I will not be doing it again.