FTM (DI) Procedure with Dr. Tholen in Minneapolis, MN

I had a consult with Dr. Tholen after researching...

I had a consult with Dr. Tholen after researching several surgeons around the country - I chose to see him because of the good results I had seen from previous patients and also because his clinic was near family, giving me a place to stay while recovering. There was no one in my area who appealed to me. From the first time I called his office I felt comfortable and was treated very well. The consult was free and I was given pricing and scheduling information from Sarah L. - she is the patient care coordinator and was wonderful in providing me information while I was planning all of this out. Surgery day was exciting and scary - much of that fear was taken away by the staff at the clinic. It was so easy, I remember talking with the nurses about the ring I was wearing and then I was waking up in recovery. I had some issues with the pain meds prescribed but luckily was also prescribed some anti-nausea medicine that worked great. The office called to check on me that first night and they were always helpful when we would call with questions that came up with drains, medications, how I was feeling, etc. After recovering for a week, the week-one reveal was incredible - having the drains out was not the best experience, but Dr. Tholen made it quick and as easy as possible. It was great having them out and just being able to see my new chest. At my week two check we found a hematoma on my left side which is a complication that happens about 1% of the time - lucky me. It was immediately drained (140ccs) and I came in every day for nine days to have it checked and drained until it was gone/healed enough for me to return home. I was so impressed with Dr. Tholen's care and willingness to see me so often indefinitely until the problem was resolved. Having the hematoma will not affect my results. I had to wear the compression vest and extra padding on the left side for an extra week. I have now had it off a few days and it feels great. I am experiencing some swelling/soreness on that left side but that is to be expected. Even with the small detour, I could not be happier with my results and would do it all over again if I had to. I received top notch care at this clinic and would recommend it to everyone. It has been an amazing, life-changing experience that I will never fully be able to thank them for.
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Tholen was excellent. He came in before surgery, explained everything to me and my family and allowed us to ask questions of him. He marked me up for surgery and even circled and removed a couple moles I had in the area. At follow up appointments he was always ready to go when I arrived and had me in and out quickly while also being considerate and doing all that needed to be done. I was extremely squeamish throughout the check ups and he handled that very well. After the discovery of a hematoma at the week two check, Dr. Tholen saw me every day to drain the left side, even on the weekends. I have heard that other people who have had this issue were left to heal on their own, their doctor said it would reabsorb naturally, and this could take months. Dr. Tholen had a much more hands on approach which I appreciated. I went in everyday for nine days until there was nothing left to drain and I was given the okay to return home and be back to see him in six weeks. Even now I am able to communicate with him via email and send him pictures of my progress to receive his feedback that things are looking okay. Having to see him more often than most allowed me to get to know him a bit more and it only made better my opinion of him. I would definitely recommend him to friends and family if they were looking to have any plastic surgery.

Thanks Eva - things are going well. Compression vest is off. A little swelling on that left side at night, but goes down by morning. Back to work tomorrow, so maybe some more activity will work things out a bit.
I am so happy for you!! Your results are incredible, wow! It's great to hear that you found a doctor you connected with so well, that is so important when having any surgery. Sorry you had to experience the hematoma, it's great you received such amazing care to help you through that difficulty, glad it won't have any impact on your results.

How are you feeling today? Is the swelling starting to come down?