Changed My Life After Weight Loss - Minneapolis, MN

After getting up to 300 pounds in high school,...

After getting up to 300 pounds in high school, then losing over 100 pounds in two years, I was left with what I called "pudding bags". Imagine if you'd taken a gallon bag, filled it with pudding, then nailed it to a board. That was my stomach. It was annoying, uncomfortable, unsightly, and a cruel reminder of my previous overweight body.

I first consulted with Dr. Gervais in 2009. The price was a bit high, but after researching other surgeons I found this clinic to be the best. So I saved up a few years so I could pay in cash, and I went back for another consultation in September 2011. Dr. Gervais said I'd be a great candidate for abdominoplasty with additional liposuction, and I scheduled the surgery for a month later.

The clinic prepared me well for the big day, and they gave my wife great instructions for taking care of me afterwards. I was nervous, but after getting in and meeting with the surgical staff my nerves fell away. The facilities are top notch--I was surprised to find that sophisticated of an OR in their building! I got a good scrubbing down, laid on the table, and then was out like a light. What seemed like seconds later I woke up, shuffled out to the car in a wheelchair, and was on my way home. I was a little surprised that it was an outpatient procedure, but looking back I'm astonished at how good of shape these guys send you home in. I was surprisingly mobile and comfortable. One recommendation--if you don't have any arm work, get a sleeveless compression vest. The ONLY bad part of this entire procedure was the discomfort in my armpits from the vest. That's it!

Dr. Gervais and his staff met with me regularly following the operation. Except for one occasion, the wait times were almost none. The visits were brief, but all of my concerns and questions got answered. I was allowed to come in often for ultrasound massage, too. Overall, the post-surgical experience went extremely well.

I'm writing this review 6 months after the surgery. If you're on the fence at ALL about this, please do it. (If you can afford it.) It changed my life just as much as losing weight in the first place did. I'm a new man, thanks to everyone at this clinic.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

thank you for posting this information. When I was in high school I was up to 310 pounds and then in college got all the way down to 160 pounds. I am now on the journey to remove the excess that does not respond to diet or exercise and having read your story, it has empowered me to further explore my options. thank you for that.
Thanks fort posting. My abscape procedure is scheduled for July 19, 2012 so I am devouring reviews on the procedure. Information posted by guys is strikingly different than what the ladies discuss in their reviews. It seems the entire experience is different in many ways for both genders; but I am under the impression the dude experience is a little less traumatic, at least in writing. Anyway, thank you for posting, it's helpful. I am now researching stuff on seromas, and probably over doing my info bank on the topic.

Welcome to RealSelf and thank you for sharing your experience.   I am very happy to hear you are loving your results.

We are happy to hear how pleased you are with your experience and your results. I will work harder to be on time with your appointments. I will also pass on your kind words to my staff. I'm very proud of how well they treat our patients. I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July.
Dr. G.
Believe me, it was not a big deal. I just wanted to find ANYTHING not positive to balance this review a little bit, because it was so positive overall.