Braces Really Not for Anyone Over Age 45 - Minneapolis, MN

Here I am age 47 with my braces off for six months...

Here I am age 47 with my braces off for six months now, and my mouth still feels unnatural. I just didn't know what I was in for with constant difficulties from the braces and retainer. My teeth were crooked but solid prior to braces. Now my teeth are straight but weaker than heck. Probably never will get strength back. Older adults getting braces is a real trade-off. My money could have been spent better elsewhere.

I wish I would have read your post before getting mine. I got my braces off 6 months ago and my teeth are so loose because of root loss due to the doctor moving the braces too fast. Very sorry I did this. THanks for posting, maybe we can prevent some one else from having this.
I've had my braces off for about one and a half years now, and things are not any better. My Vitamin D levels are just fine, as are my calcium levels. Physician confirmed. This is not a funny issue. My $5,000 was wasted, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know how I will feel taking off my braces in my late 40's. Certainly no one discussed with me if older people might have bone-jaw issues. It might actually be a real issue since we experience bone loss as we age. I also know that the tooth root system gets stronger after breaking it down and having to rebuild itself. This takes over 90 days. Have you checked you vitamin D level?

Yes, I know that individual patient experiences can vary. This is a given with any procedure. However, I'm still upset over the limited information I was given, and how I was treated like an adolescent, mainly because that is what orthodontists are accustomed to. It is truly humiliating to go through heck with some procedures that was sold to you as "you won't even notice they are in after three months. . . ." Well, I've had my braces off for a 1 1/2 years, and they still feel like they are on! My mouth doesn't even remotely feel naturally. I know one orthodontist referred to patients having to get used to the "new geography" of their mouths. Well, there is yet another thing I was not informed of PRIOR to signing on the dotted line.
I’m 39 years old in two weeks I get my spacers put in. The following week I will get my braces. I don’t like pain at all I’m afraid I’m going to be this huge baby. Also afraid what I’m going to look like with braces. It can’t be any worse than how I feel now every time I smile I’m paranoid about my buck teeth.I love to smile I just don’t want no one to see my teeth crazy right? If you have any helpful tips please send me a message. Will the braces messed up my speech? By the way I’m getting the custom braces.I guess they will be white any tips on that?
Hello. I'll start out by saying that experiences can really vary. My experiences were not that great. Personally, I never minded how the braces looked. What I did mind was that they were not just a 'stroll in the park' like they were made out to be. But, your experiences may be just fine, and, in my opinion, especially if you haven't had much other teeth work done yet. I know experts say you can get braces at any age. But, think about it. . . . My teeth, for example, had been rooted in my mouth for almost 50 years. Moving them out of a 50-year-old position is going to be more difficult than moving them out of a 25 year-old position. Think of a tree trunk--the younger it is, the more easier it is to move and change the position. An older tree will have a much deeper and more established root system. Personally, I think that is a great analogy for manipulating teeth, and why I think it should be expected that the older you are, it will affect your experiences with braces. Take care, and best of luck.