Braces Really Not for Anyone Over Age 45 - Minneapolis, MN

Here I am age 47 with my braces off for six months...

Here I am age 47 with my braces off for six months now, and my mouth still feels unnatural. I just didn't know what I was in for with constant difficulties from the braces and retainer. My teeth were crooked but solid prior to braces. Now my teeth are straight but weaker than heck. Probably never will get strength back. Older adults getting braces is a real trade-off. My money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Yes, I know that individual patient experiences can vary. This is a given with any procedure. However, I'm still upset over the limited information I was given, and how I was treated like an adolescent, mainly because that is what orthodontists are accustomed to. It is truly humiliating to go through heck with some procedures that was sold to you as "you won't even notice they are in after three months. . . ." Well, I've had my braces off for a 1 1/2 years, and they still feel like they are on! My mouth doesn't even remotely feel naturally. I know one orthodontist referred to patients having to get used to the "new geography" of their mouths. Well, there is yet another thing I was not informed of PRIOR to signing on the dotted line.

I’m 39 years old in two weeks I get my spacers put in. The following week I will get my braces. I don’t like pain at all I’m afraid I’m going to be this huge baby. Also afraid what I’m going to look like with braces. It can’t be any worse than how I feel now every time I smile I’m paranoid about my buck teeth.I love to smile I just don’t want no one to see my teeth crazy right? If you have any helpful tips please send me a message. Will the braces messed up my speech? By the way I’m getting the custom braces.I guess they will be white any tips on that?
Hello. I'll start out by saying that experiences can really vary. My experiences were not that great. Personally, I never minded how the braces looked. What I did mind was that they were not just a 'stroll in the park' like they were made out to be. But, your experiences may be just fine, and, in my opinion, especially if you haven't had much other teeth work done yet. I know experts say you can get braces at any age. But, think about it. . . . My teeth, for example, had been rooted in my mouth for almost 50 years. Moving them out of a 50-year-old position is going to be more difficult than moving them out of a 25 year-old position. Think of a tree trunk--the younger it is, the more easier it is to move and change the position. An older tree will have a much deeper and more established root system. Personally, I think that is a great analogy for manipulating teeth, and why I think it should be expected that the older you are, it will affect your experiences with braces. Take care, and best of luck.
I've had my braces off for about one and a half years now, and things are not any better. My Vitamin D levels are just fine, as are my calcium levels. Physician confirmed. This is not a funny issue. My $5,000 was wasted, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know how I will feel taking off my braces in my late 40's. Certainly no one discussed with me if older people might have bone-jaw issues. It might actually be a real issue since we experience bone loss as we age. I also know that the tooth root system gets stronger after breaking it down and having to rebuild itself. This takes over 90 days. Have you checked you vitamin D level?
Never mind. The doctors sewed my mouth back on But they did it upside down, so now I'm always frowning.
Pretty funny. I needed to laugh today.
I'm in my late 90's and just got braces on. The ortho people messed up though, and now my whole mouth is missing from my face. What should I do? Help me!
My ortho. clinic was not worried over my age, either. However, that certainly did not help me out. Let's say you have a 12 year old with basically virgin teeth, and a 50 year old with high blood pressure, menopausal, three crowns, two bridges, etc. Common sense would tell you these are two different patients that need to be treated differently. The ortho. industry is not doing anyone any favors by trying to pretend that they can be treated the same.
Well, I am in my late 40's and got Invisalign first and now wearing ceramic braces. I have never been warned of any complications of "older adults" having complications. My Ortho clinic is not worried over my age. I am only on my 2 wire fitting. I still have the entire year to finish then I'll let you know how my teeth feel. This might be individual to the pt.
Thank you everyone for your comments. Yes, I did express to my orthodontist that I was having issues. I told her, for example, that I couldn't wear my elastics (or rubber bands) at night because I would wake up gagging. My orthodontist was good, but usually when I made comments like that, my ortho. would scowl like I was being naughty or something, or maybe it was the frustration. I don't know. It was difficult for me. It was a really unique experience, and I didn't know what to expect.
I agree with you totally. I am in the same position, sounds simple and uncomplicated but I don't think it's worthwhile after 40's to have braces place. I myself is concern of how my teeth is so much more loose than before braces. i'm still under tx and not too satisfied. Wish I was more informed of the lifetime commitment. I started with relatively straight teeth, just wanted to correct an slight overbite..vanity at age 47.
Boy Mochi88,, you sound just like me. I too started with relatively straight teeth, and just wanted to correct a couple of really crooked ones on the bottom plus an overbite. People were shocked when I told them I was getting braces because appearance-wise, they thought my teeth looked just fine. But, I was going through menopause and things were starting to fall all over, so I thought I'd invest in at least a great smile. My bite is corrected and my bottom teeth are no longer as crooked, but my smile is really just as nice as it was before. All of the literature and that talks about getting braces for a great smile, etc. But, for me, anyway, and maybe for other older adults, the trade-off is teeth that are less functional. As an older adult, I'll take function over pretty any day. My main focus is on keeping my teeth, and I didn't realize that there was even remotely the possibility that braces could affect their integrity. I really, really think older adults, especially, should be more informed of the trade-offs and consequences.

How unfortunate that you aren't loving the way things look and feel now that you are done with your braces. :-/

You mentioned that your teeth feel weaker now. Do you mind me asking in what ways they feel weaker?

I think the best way to put it is that prior to braces, I had teeth that were strong enough to bite into an apple, eat carrots, munch on a full bag of chips, and not feel anything. Now, my teeth hurt if I munch on a couple of carrots, a handful of chips, and I haven't even dared to try to bite into an apple yet. Somewhere I remember reading that it can take up to two years for teeth to become solid again after braces, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. I really miss the old days when I could eat anything without having to think about it twice. Plus, I am having a hard time getting used to the "new geography" of my teeth and mouth. What really bothers me, is that maybe all of this stuff is to be expected with braces, but I was not given a heads-up on what a committment braces really took, at all. I had never had them before, so, for example, when someone said, "Oh, you'll have to wear the retainer every other night for life once you get your braces off," it didn't sink in what that really meant.
I had braces at 53 and the results have been great. I do hope it all settles down for you and that you get full use of your newly straight teeth. Wearing the retainer every night becomes automatic and no big deal - I'm sure you'll get there.
Sorry, but nothing has settlted down for me. I did not have a good experience. But, I'm sure some do. Retainer was just a big of issue for me as braces. In hindsight, I just think there are certain people who are not cut out for braces. They are too sensitive to going-ons in their mouths for whatever reason. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to predict until the braces are in and significant money has gone out. This is unfortunate. Maybe professionals could offer some sort of option? I mean, if it is not working out for you, this could be two years of anxiety and additional funds you'd have to go through?
I'm going to run this by some of my professional contacts (I write for Orthotown magazine and I run the Metal Mouth Media braces-resource website) and see if anyone will comment. It may take into the new year, but I'll let you know what I learn. Best wishes.

I agree that braces, like anything else, aren't right for every person. Every office has the ability to set their own policies, so it will probably vary from office to office, but many will stop treatment and refund a portion of the payment depending on what phase in treatment the patient is at. If they happen to be in a phase that would be detrimental to leave the patient in they would probably agree to bring them to a stable point with their bite, then discontinue. Did you express to your orthodontist that you were feeling this way?

Do you know that it takes a full 90 days for the bone to heal after the braces breakdown the original bone. I am in my late 40's and I currently have braces, but I know it will take time for my bone to heal after removal. In fact, most people say you MUST wear your retainer for one year while the bone is healing, otherwise your bone will never heal and the teeth will move back. Also how's your calcium? Or vitamin D level?
Wow! I'm glad you were told that. I know I sure wasn't. My calcium and Vitamin D levels are good, and they have been monitored over the last few years.
Thanks Pam, I commented earlier that I am in my late 40's wearing ceramic braces and have never been warned of any issues with older adults wearing braces. I think it's can be individual to the pt. I'm glad you didn't have problems, so far I have not.