Bad Injection of Juvederm Causes Wrinkles and Lines. Yes, It Does - Minneapolis, MN

This is a little bit about juvederm and a little...

This is a little bit about juvederm and a little bit about avoiding wrinkles and creases.
Unfortunately I didn't do enough research before getting juvederm, however I did go to the clinic of a well known ps and one thats a top doc on here and has very insightful things to say on here and doesn't sugar coat it. Unfortunately I saw the nurse(who is advertised with lots of experience and their main injector). Apparently no one is aware that besides sleep lines and expression lines there is another huge cause of wrinkles. I'm 27 and can tell you this from personal experience, acne and bumps can cause lines which in turn into expression lines permanently, I had no permanent lines until I got a long lasting blemish which caused my skin to fold, especially if you sleep on it this can happen. Long story short I had it filled with juvederm and the area of my nl folds and it ended up a large blob about .5" wide, besides that I let the nurse add volume to the other side of my face(big mistake, because it used to be perfect) and ended up getting 2 small bumps and a ridge that gives me a nice new line. Needless to say its been a couple months and I'm already seeing lines along the bumps, she put it next my natural smile lines(nl folds), suppose normally she has an actually line to go by, but mine weren't visible if I'm not smiling. Also lines along the lump as well. At this point I could care less about the lump and bumps, but now this treatment is giving me permanent wrinkles that will only get worse.

Learn it docs, bumps cause wrinkles as well as misplaced filler, if they place it against your line it will deepen the line and may also cause new lines along the sides of the injection. So, I've basically traded one line for lumps and bumps and 3-4 new lines. Incase your wondering the ps was kind enough to give me wydase, not that it can help too much and he doesn't encourage its use because it does dissolve your own ha, can't get it in the small bumps either because they'll just be pits then. I would not recommend even thinking about this unless you have very noticeable deep lines as some of these injectors don't know the difference, or maybe it was just that bad. photo 1 day after, photo 2 2 months later, photo 3 3 months and small amount of wydase, the next photos show what the misplaced juvederm and bumps did to the other side 3 months later, you can see the lines are jagged from the bumps as well. I should mention everyone at the office including the nurse was very nice and the doctor offered wydase in increments, he used a little the first time and it's made a little difference, but I've read enough stories about that to think about more. I'll also mention I went with a friend and we both had filler and botox, the botox worked and my friends filler looked great, it was under their eyes and they were noticeably hollow before though. It seems this is a case of bad injection, not bad injectable. You never really know what your going to get it seems like, 34% of people on here think it's not worth it, wish I had known that. This is probably convoluted and rambling a bit, I just want you to have all the facts before you get your face filled.

It also took me 2 months to say something to the clinic, I'm not a big complainer, but It looked so bad right after she did it that I was in complete shock, I didn't know what to say, and was pretty freaked out that she thought it looked good. 2 months later the doctor and the rest of the staff didn't have a problem seeing a noticeable lump and again were all very nice. This is just my opinion, look at my pictures and make your own judgement. Luckily it's only really noticeable in certain lighting, hence the not great photos. Also I haven't told anyone and probably never will, far too embarrassed, not that they probably haven't thought what happened to my face.. I'm learning to sleep on my back... check out frownies or medical tape while you're young or have very fine lines yet and SLEEP ON YOUR BACK.

Tags:
nasal labial, laugh lines, filler, vitrase, hyaluronidase, mistake

Carillon Clinic

Great service and really nice people, but horrible outcome for me.

I wish I had never got it done as well! I had juverderm two years ago and it changed my face completely once some of it had dissolved. Are there any other options for the new lines and creases that have formed? I haven't told anyone and kept it from my husband. This whole process of getting it and regretting it has consumed up so much of my energy.
This same thing happened to me, and it is nearly two years later. I wish I had never done it in the first place. It takes up so much of my emotional energy thinking about it. I have'nt told anyone and want to tell my husband but am just too scared too. Are there any other options to help with the new creases and lines. When some of the juverderm had dissolved, my face looked different and uneven.
Hey :) I would like to ask you how you are doint today? The Injection is 1 year ago and I´d like to now if you feel better now? Has your skin recoverd? I had injections with juvederm 4 weeks ago and have the same problems like you :( so sad about it and I am so embarrassed to go out.
I'm good, the spot I had done looks pretty good, however lines develop around the spot they fill.. your face will crease when you smile no matter what it'll find a new spot if the previous spot is too full. My guess is it could turn out pretty good if they do it right it the first place. I would probably do it again if I was sure the injector new what they're doing, so far im learning to live with new lines...
This stuff is awful in the wrong hands. It's been over a year for me and after many visits to various drs my next plan is to fly to la to have it properly dissolved and then laser to help with the new lines. What a costly emotionally draining lesson this has been
I was first sold on fillers because a doctor had told me that juvederm helps build collagen so getting fillers at a young age would prevent wrinkles from forming later in life. This is certainly not the case. It seems to create more problems in young skin.
Or.... IPL laser?
And by "laser," I mean: laser skin resurfacing, i.e., Fraxel (along with the Juvaderm)
Thanks so much for sharing your experience in such detail - VERY much appreciated :) Per chance, did you have any kind of laser work done?
Its pretty much unnoticeable after 8 months, it took a month or 2 after the wydase, but yes I now have more fine lines and more of a depression on one corner of my nose because it caused more wrinkling and folding when in was in there. However the thing I got it for finally looks somewhat decent, but it does cause more lines and folds again around where it is. Your skin has to fold no matter what, getting a fold or crease filled just makes it fold differently and often more. Also I'm noticing now, after getting botox for crows feet as well, instead of the corners wrinkling when I had it, it would wrinkle right under the eye, the effects of the botox are long gone, but it looks like I have bags much more often. So it seems theres always something to cancel the positive effects in my case.
I also noticed the different wrinkle issues botox creates and the damage fillers can cause. If I do anything again it will probably be laser though that terrifies me as I read some horror stories on here about people getting burned and scarred.
PLEASEEEEE DON'T DO LASER - Talk to me first, I am a victum a FRAXEL LASER SURGERY - Trust me, I've been researching my "disaster,' for over 2 years, there is nothing I don't know on issue.
I'm also "quite certain," "MrBob" had laser surgery in addition to Juvaderm... Email me, I will fill you in.
Did it ever get any better? I'm 29 and having all kinds of issues with poorly injected juvederm. One of the issues being odd wrinkling around my mouth (like yours but all all around the mouth). I was hoping it was just the juvederm dissolving unevenly.
Have you seen any improvement yet? I have the same issue as you!
I know what you mean overfilled areas can cause wrinkles in dynamic areas. Esp with young skin where filler absorbs water like a sponge.
I have found a bit of peace, I'm going to embrace getting older now. Since about half of doctors disagree with the others I think its safe to say they have no idea the long term and unwanted effects of any of this and it all seems an unnecessary risk at this point. The doctor I saw is one of the few that doesn't support the wydase fix all approach. Because it just doesn't reverse it. He put a small amount under the actual lump to effect my own tissue, in his own words because of the genetic makeup of the filler wydase will breakdown your own HA before the filler, and underneath the lump prevents a dimple or depression. He put a very small amount in and said to come back for more if needed. It lowered the lump enough that I didn't want to risk any other long term effects of trying to get it right, it's still there but definitely not as noticeable and he wouldn't touch the small bumps that are the wrinkle problem because it would almost definitely end up a depression. I don't know how long it lasts because it's still here, but I do think it could certainly cause permanent changes to your face, I'll have to wait and see. I would do a lot of research about the doctor before getting wydase, because it does not really reverse it like a lot of doctors say. If it were me and it was even(not lumpy) but just looks different I would skip the wydase, but if it's visible lumps larger than a decent mosquito bite I would consider it. Its your face so don't take your decision lightly and take opinions with a grain of salt:) Also I have noticed a huge difference since being able to sleep on my back, really prevents smile lines and sleep lines from deepening and being noticeable in the day. Best of luck
That's such good advice. Thanks so much. I won't be touching my face I guess! I also just want to say that from your photos, and from a female and outsiders perspective, you still look young and you still look handsome. I think guys are a bit fortunate as they are very much like wine; age actually accentuates their qualities and attractiveness rather than takes away. But that's just my little two cents. I'm glad you found some peace and hope you find more to come. Thanks! :) - Julia
Hi mrbob, Thanks for the informative post! I just got filler and I'm completely regretting it, as it has simply changed the shape of my face. I just wanted to know, is it better to wait for the filler to wear out or just get wydase? I'm just worried that by waiting, it will cause permanent lines on my face (it has increased my nasolabial folds when I smile). I'm wondering if I wait that some of it will remain no matter what (Dr.s have said that it can permanently increase the "structure" of the face over time). Anyway, I hope your issue is better and you've found some peace in all of it. Thanks. - Julia
Yes as far as I know this is an injector issue and not the product, but since I haven't had good results I can't say it isn't the product as well. I'm guessing she just used WAY too much, in the wrong places, maybe not as deep as she should of and unevenly, you don't get lumps unless they put them there is what it sounds like. She probably sees people with deep nl folds and I didn't have any so that may have been an issue. Like I said on the one side it ended up making it look like a line because she put it next to my natural line, I don't have visible lines when I'm not smiling and she didn't ask me to smile or draw a line on it to see where it should go, but I'm guessing that really wouldn't have made a huge difference considering the complete result. I'm actually more upset about that side because it was perfect, the other side I did have a line, but she just wanted to add some volume to match the other side. I'll also note I had several shallow lumps that you could never really see as well, the hardness of all the lumps except for the visible ones went away after a week or 2 and the large ones don't anymore, but still visible and I can feel them obviously. Being that every aspect of the juvederm results were awful and the fact that she is a big office's main injector just has me really confused. I did ice several times a day and massage for the first week, there was really only mild redness. When I looked into the mirror right after I was horrified, so it wasn't really swelling or bruising. In all honesty I really don't think the doctors and injectors really know enough about any of these products, just look at how divided the docs on here are on the use and results of hyaluronidase, that should be enough to worry anyone. If I had to do it over I definitely would not do it at all, as soon as I saw it I regretted it and I was afraid to do it in the first place. Just seems like a crapshoot from the other reviews on here.
Thanks for the warning! Sounds like you are warning us more about poor handling skills than the product itself. In that case, where do you think your injector should have injected in order to avoid the mistake? What would you do differently if you had done it over again? I'm guessing she was supposed to inject deep to avoid lumps and bumps? Did you ice after being injected?
So difficult! I'm wondering how long I'm actually on my back, for some reason there's nothing like shoving your face in a pillow, when I wake up in the morning that's the first thing I do. Somebody should make something to help us out. Sad to think I probably would have no wrinkles if I figured that out 5 years ago!

I know, my guess is I spend a few hours sleeping on my back (at most) then at flip over to my side. I have tried so many things to try to switch to sleeping on my back - all different kinds of pillows, sleep masks, putting pillows on top of me...yes, that's right, I actually tried that...the battle continues.

Thank you so much for posting photos on your review. It is so helpful to be able to see what someone is describing. The 3 month picture definitely looks like things are headed in the right direction. I'm glad the doctor was open to doing some Wydase for you.

Funny you should mention trying to learn to sleep on your back. I've been trying to convert myself to a back sleeper for a very long time - isn't it difficult to switch?!