Bulbous Tip - Michigan

My surgery is in 4 days and I'm on the fence as to...

My surgery is in 4 days and I'm on the fence as to whether I'm excited about this or scared. I've met with the doctor twice and he's not easy to talk to at all. I'm trusting him and using him based on the pics on this site and in his book of work that I saw when I met him. Also because he doesn't have any negative reviews...that I could find. He's located very close to my parents home where I will be recouping and he's also so much more affordable than the docs in NYC where I lived while searching for a doctor. At this point I'm concerned maybe I didn't do enough research and that's solely because communicating with him as to what I want and what he's going to do is like speaking to someone who doesn't understand my language.

He's a total character and salesman for sure. He likes to parade patients and possible patients in front of each other to show that he does get business so you should use him. He even showed me his calender so I could see he gets booked. Effective but tacky. I told him many times I'm happy with his work. The theatrics aren't necessary but he's used to doing this so I kind of feel like just another nose to him. He has this odd big brown chair in his office that you sit in while he sits in a tall stool next to you for inspection. I also didn't find his head office manager to be that nice. She seems kind of sick of the job and has dealt with more than enough women who are insecure about their appearance.

The reason why I'm getting this done is obvious in the pics. I have a small bridge and the tip is what some would call a "button nose". Cute when you're young but when you're 37, it's just a bulbous nose that's getting bigger. Golden advised me that I shoudn't have high expectations with a dramatic change. I will be swollen and will probably look the same as I do now for the next 6 months to a year. I understand and want it done regardless but he's not very good at telling me the positives I should expect. Fear of litigation maybe? I just want to know the good things I will expect. I asked him what exactly will he be doing to minimize the tip and he kind of talks in circles and he's all over the place instead of being direct. At this time, I had already booked my surgery date which costs $1500. Why didn't he tell me I shouldn't expect a change before I handed him over a thousand dollars? He only does closed procedures. I don't know the negatives to a closed procedure but if all you want is an open, he's not your guy.

I don't want to come across as negative but I notice that many reviews on him and other doctors don't involve much info on what the doctors are like to communicate with so I thought it was important to put that out there so you can prepare youself if you"re on a search for a doc at the moment. I have had laser surgery on my eyes and bunion surgery on my foot and both doctors were very direct and calming. The feather in Golden's cap and the reason why I am going with him is the fact his pics look great and I want to chalk his poor social skills up to the hope he's an artist and is very certain what he's doing and that I will be happy.

I picked up my meds which you must do three days before surgery so you can start applying an ointment inside the nostrils as a prep for surgery. The other meds are an antibiotic and an OTC to counter-balance the bacteria from the antibiotic. I didn't want to do antibiotics since I've never taken them but this is an absolute must since any infection (especially near the brain) is not to be taken lightly.

I wish I was more excited about this but I'm neither here nor there. I'm more nervous than excited. I haven't been insecure about my nose my whole life like many women but I'm definitely seeing it getting more round and looking like the head of a penis as I get older. I'm coming up on 40 and just want to ward off what comes with age. I see it turning into my dad's nose and...well, who wants their dad's nose? Many women have large humps they've wanted to take care of their whole life so I am definitely a different kind of patient than most.

I will post pics and document the experience in the coming week. Wish me luck!

Thank you for starting your story here! When is your surgery scheduled for? Going into rhinoplasty can be nerve-wracking. I remember that feeling so well. Please keep us posted on how things are progressing.

I agree. I would rather have a real specialist who has a keen eye and poor social skills than a doc who is super focused on my concerns and doesn't know how to really sculpt a nose.
I looked at Sabbaghs work online many times and wasn't getting a read on whether he could do tips. He looks great with humped noses but there are many docs who just can't do tips well.

I'm in better spirits about Golden, especially after nose12's vote of confidence in him. I just found him impossible tontalk to becuz it just doesn't seem like he wants to hearnwhat I want. He's too busy with what he's going to say next instead of actually listening.

The good news with a slow progression is the fact I'm not telling anyone but my parents. They were hard to convince but I put up a good argument and they now understand. But, as lucknwould have it, my brother and sis decided to come to town 10 days after surgery. My hopes is that the swelling will be at the point of looking like it looks right now and therefore they won't notice a difference. Otherwise, I might tell them I had a serious sinus infection and my nose is swollen. They aren't judgmental people but everyone can agree here, getting the family onboard is hard. It's like they fear you won't look like you at all and dr. G's work is a testament to the fat you will definitely look like yourself after.

So, had the nose done today. I showed up and the...

So, had the nose done today. I showed up and the nurses were very kind and did a great job keeping me calm through it all but frankly, I wasn't nervous. I had bunion surgery 3 wks ago and I knew what to expect with anesthesia. My head is foggy and two hours being home and I'm still grabbing furniture to steady my walk.

Dr. G was very accomodating today. I asked him to show me what the plan was and hen showed me everything he wanted to do. However, he recommended breaking the bridge so that I would keep a narrow bridge versus shaving the top and getting a flatter or squared nose. Since I already felt my bridge was a bit narrow, we stuck with shaving it in order to give me some width instead.

All around I think this was a great experience thus far. Dr G ended up being better than I thought he would be. I also feel a lot of people aren't their best early in the day (we started at 8am) after coffee versus there attitude after five consultations.

I'm a little woozy and it comes in waves. I don't think I'll be sick but it's not a pleasant feeling. Probably would have been best to take a nap after sugery...like now.

Will post pics later. Right now, no bruising so your not using anything other than bridge tap and a nostril diaper. Uneventful.

Actually, based on his pics, I'm happy with his tip work and that's why I avoided others. When he first looked at me, he almost turned me down but the more he inspected, he saw what I was talking about. I have a feeling I'm going to look good. He shaved down my bridge. I hope I see a difference because many shaves don't show much of a difference and it would be nice to have that lice slope he does but I just decided that I'd rather not break it. My tip is my biggest issue and I didn't want to deal with a lot of the handicaps that come with breaking the bridge. Recover is longer, painful, can easily deviate and youll need to return for and a correction, black eyes. Just didn't want to go through all that if it wasn't an issue for me.
I COMPLETELY understand your thoughts about Dr. Golden. I had a Rhino last July and was left still w/ an ugly bump on my nose so I had Dr. Golden do my revision in April so i am 4 months post-op. He is totally all over the place, quirky, cocky, and doesnt seem like he listens. I think its just do to the fact that he;s been doing this for years and knows what he is doing and has delt with insecure people complaining about their noses. As of now, I am pretty happy with my result, but not 100%. I complained multiple times to dr. golden how I hated my tip and how it looked big and bulbous to me. He said my tip was fine and refused to do tip work on me. Supposively one side of my tip had higher cartilage then the other (which i never noticed. but w/e!) and he took some of it out to level out my tip. I know there is prob some swelling in my tip from him doing that procedure but i still think it looks big. I kinda came to the conclusion that i think tip-work is not his thing... i came across someone else on here who mentioned the same thing i did... its like he almost tries to avoid doing tip work UNLESS it needs to be done...hmm...

I Posted an update but for some reaso it didn't...

I Posted an update but for some reaso it didn't upload.

This is the day aer surgery and all is well. My nose hurts, which is to be expected, and my throat kind of feels weird but I'm not worried about it.

The slightest touch to the nasal pad is painful so whatever you do, don't touch it and while putting shirts on, hold them far from your face, just an FYI.

The first nit was like many who have posted to RS. I woke at 5:30 am and changed my nose pad since there as enough blood loss to do so. I took a Tylenol and went back to sleep. Laying on your back if your a side sleeper is annoying but your subconscious kicks in and I doubt you'll toss and turn.

I'm noticing mood swings, partially due to headache. One minute I'm relaxed and next minute I'm cranky, and Inot a cranky person so it's bothersome for sure. I dread the day he has to pull the stitches out. From reviews I've read and based on the tenderness of my nose, it's going to be tougher than the surgery itself and Dr G didn't make bones about it. He said it will be uncomfortable. Which in doc speak means it will be a painful experience.

Looking forward to taking the nasal pad off. It's just annoying but if I'm still dripping, it needs to be there.

Will keep you posted.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I'm half way through the second day. I have slight...

I'm half way through the second day. I have slight discoloration under my eyes. May be black eyed tomorrow or this could be the extent, given that I didn't break it. Who knows. I will say this....I'd give anything to blow my nose. Though it probably wouldn't make a difference given that this is just swelling and that's unavoidable at this point. I'm taking the Arnica. I'm avoiding the Vicodin because I've done it before with not so favorable an outcome. Stiches are starting to itch.

How are you? How are you feeling? I can't wait to see your tip!!!
Just a warning, the drugs they put you on during the surgery stick around for awhile so when you read on the instructions that you need to relax for two days, don't challenge it. I get nervous just walking up the stairs and I'm in good health so try to stay low key.
Glad everything went well yesterday... you look great 1-day post-op! I don't feel very nervous either (my surgery is first thing tomorrow).

So you got to speak with Dr. Golden before you were put under? I want to confirm everything he'll be doing before he starts, too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Ugh, last night was tough. I woke up around 5am...

Ugh, last night was tough. I woke up around 5am and my mouth was so dry I couldn't swallow. I drank water all day so I don't know what's up with that but regardless, I drank some water, took half a vicodin and put an ice pack on my nose because my eyes were super swollen.

The docs assistant advises to not ice your face so I didn't for the first 24 hrs. She did say that if absolutely necessary, use a cold cloth. This is to keep freezing temperature off your nose while it is in the most tender state so that you don't freeze burn your nose. What I'm doing is pulling the ice pack out ofnthe freezer, waiting for it to warm up a bit and then wrap it in a t-shirt. It's been helping to release the pressure that builds up due to swelling.

The inside of the nose is irritated, as to be expected. Day 2 and 3 are the hardest so I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I have decided to spend this day in bed because walking around the house isn't helping. Thanks for all the well wishes. Having understanding people read this is a help. My parents are being very awesome through this but it's lonely when they're the only ones who know. I wish I could call my friends and tell them about the discomfort I'm in but that's not going ton happen so for now, it's you guys so thanks big time.

Just read it, sounds like it. I'm sorry, but I'm glad you're doing better now! I'll look for your updates. Feel well :)
I'm good right now but it was a rocky night. Check my update above.

Day Three after surgery and I've got the blues. My...

Day Three after surgery and I've got the blues. My nose is exactly the size it was yesterday so that disheartening and I keep waking up at 5am to a feeling of pressure in the left nostril, which is unnerving. I'm rolling with this though. Because of this site, I was warned by many that this would happen so I'm not taking it to heart. There are a couple things about me I need to work on and two of them are being dealt with at this time...my impatience and my nose picking bad habit.The truth is out, I tend to pick my nose and it's only because I hate it when my nose isn't completely clear at all times. So I'm either picking it in private or blowing it all the time and this is definitely teaching me a lesson. The doc instructs people to not blow their nose for like three weeks! And at day three your nose it so full of random gunk that pretty much drives you crazy. Q-tips with peroxide can only do so much. I visit the doc on Tuesday for a cleaning and stitches removal and I dread this part most of all. I've heard so many horror stories and I have a low theshold for pain. If he could sedate me for it I would probably get on board for that : ) Sorry for the negative tone. Keep in mind I'm also recouping from bunion surgery which is a 6 week process involving a clunky boot on your foot so on top of the nose discomfort, I'm also hobbling around and doing foot soaks. I don't regret doing these at the same time since I'm killing two birds but goodness, it's a struggle at the moment.
Any words of encouragement are welcome. Thx

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Meant to say DAY 4 on that last update. And huge...

Meant to say DAY 4 on that last update. And huge apologies for all the typos!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Day five and I feel like myself for the first time...

Day five and I feel like myself for the first time in days. My nose has stitches and gunk inside of it which is te only thing that bothers me right now. Still swollen in the tip area. Probably won't post an update for another week. Can't wait to take the tape off on Tuesday and have stitches removed...which will be painful but that's the reality. Wish me luck.

I think even the best doctor will have the same approach. If they can't deliver the specific things you ask for, they risk being sued so in order to keep them safe, they tell you what they can do and you decide if it's in line with what you want. I chose him based on all the pics I've seen and the fact I couldn't find any negative reviews. I have yet to really see my nose since the tape blocks my bridge and the tip is still swollen. Will post pics when the tape is removed.
I hope everything works out for you in time. its not too bad, but am sure it will look better when it hails, It thought the same way about the first doc I met, he was going circles around me , he only spent 10 mins with me in consultation so am trying to go.to different doc, I hope ther not just trying to get the money and wont tell you the trueth of whats expected!!

I just got home fro the sutures removal and I'm...

I just got home fro the sutures removal and I'm very happy, though very swollen. Looking in the mirror brings mixed emotions because I can see what my nose will eventually look like but the swelling makes my nose super wide. I already had a narrow nose so I know this is just the swelling and to not take it to heart. It will probably take a year to see it and I can wait.

Suture removal was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The medicine he uses to numb you tastes terrible but I'd take a bad taste over pain any day. It took five minutes and I was on my way. Chewing on some gum helped to reduce the flavor of the numbing fluid so have some on you for this appt.

Will post pics when the swelling dies...maybe a month or so.

Well thank you faith for the advice..but I kinda did more than that, like reading peapols comments and stuff, I just hope I dont spend all the monet that I worked really hard for and not be that is satisfied you know,
I am happy with my results and they are in line with what the doctor told me to expect and what other patients of his have reported. It helps if you have realistic expectations and I think i do.
Steveas, I don't recommend choosing a surgeon based solely on their before/after photos. I made that terrible mistake. That's just marketing...be careful. http://www.realself.com/blog/buyers-beware-photos-misleading

9 Days Post-Op. I'm happy with the profile but the...

9 Days Post-Op. I'm happy with the profile but the tip is swollen and looks a bit lopsided. I know the its supposed to still be swollen but today is the first day it's making me sad. It's hard when it looks essentially bigger than before the surgery. My bridge was always smalland having a large tip below it is just irritating. I see the doc on Tuesday for another check up. I hope he'll have words of encouragement. Should I ask him to give me a cortizone shot to speed the rate the swelling goes down? Pics posted for this update.

I had my procedure by Dr. Golden also. Don't worry, everyone heals at different rates. My nose was super swollen and had no definition but now, two months later I am seeing my nose for what it was meant to look like! Your nose looks awesome for 9 days, don't worry:)
Awesome news. Thanks for posting this. You have great results so this definitely gives me confidence!
that's great faitg!! I am very happy for you.. can't wait to do mine now lol, wish u best of luck. Thank u for the advices!

So, I'm 10 Days post op and feeling much better...

So, I'm 10 Days post op and feeling much better about my nose. It's not as swollen. The bridge is pretty much fully recovered and the sides of my nostrils are soft and flexible so I think they're pretty much recovered. I can't imagine them getting much smaller and I'm happy with how it looks. The tip is still tender and swollen and will probably take awhile to be at full result. Many of the people who have gone to Dr. G have written me with words of reassurance and seeing their recent updated pics is such a relief.
I realize we can't change what we've mentioned in past reviews and I feel bad for attacking Dr. G's candor. The last time I saw him he was so nice and happy and I gave him a big hug. I think his social skills aren't all that bad. I was irked because I had many questions and didn't get to really ask them. If anything I just wanted to offer a warning to incoming patience that he isn't the easiest to talk to but that doesn't mean I don't recommend him. Quite the contrary. I highly recommend him. Tip of the nose work is very hard to do. It's a three hour surgery (though it only feels like 5 seconds). Finding a doctor who can do this is not easy. Most doctors can only do the hump/bridge of the nose. I went to Dr. G after reviewing countless web sites with doctors who can't do tips regardless of their success. What really drew me to him is how humble he was on his site. He doesn't profess to be an expert on nose tip work but he could if he wanted to. I have changed my review to "worth it". Of course we're not at the finish lineyet but I'm very happy so I thought it was the right time to let it be known.
I see him on Tuesday for another check up and cleaning. I'm looking forward to it since I do have a couple more sutures that sometimes tickle me and it will be a relief to get rid of them. I probably won't post pics for awhile because it's still swollen. Maybe in a month.

Looking forward to seeing pics at the 3 month mark!!
Same here : )
Looking great so far! Don't worry one day my left side looked skinnier, then it evened out. They say noses aren't perfectly straight anyways and sometimes the surgery just reveals that. So glad you're liking your results so far :)

70% Happy

So, if you want to downsize the tip of your nose, I would recommend this doctor because its detailed cartilage work and he knows what he's doing. The reason I'm at 70% happiness is because the right side of my nose is bigger than the left but otherwise, he fixed a majority of my issues. You can see it in the recent pictures. The shadow on the left side of the picture (which is the right side of my nose) is what I'm referring to. I wonder if he did my left side and forgot to do the left? It's something I hardly recognize in my day to day but there are many pictures of me where my nose looks lopsided because of this.

Pictures after one year

The pics are approximately 14 months after surgery. It took about 8 months for the swelling to go down and a full year to see final results. Can't get much smaller than this.

awesome results!!! Congrats, you look awesome. Love the profile! Can you PM me and give me the doctors website and location? thanks!
Beautiful result! You must be so pleased!

Almost Two Years Later

Up until now, and you've probably seen me mention it in my reviews, there was a lump on the right side of my nose. Thats pretty much gone at this point. My warning to all women getting the tip of their nose done, it can take almost two years to see results. I love my nose now and it was worth the wait.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Two more pics two years alter

Good to know about the tip! That's my main concern, and I am glad to know that after the surgery it will take a while to look how I intended so I won't freak out. Also, it will make the transition slower and perhaps won't seem like such a drastic change that it's immediately obvious to everyone around me! My brother won't approve, but he lives in California and we only see each other once a year. It will be five or six months before he sees me after surgery which should give it time to settle. Did people comment or notice on your change?
u look great!!
Dr Golden

While looking at various doctors in NYC, the most affordable doc was roughly $8000 and their work wasn't that impressive. I looked into Michigan options since my family is there, the procedure is more affordable and it was all around convenient.