Weight Loss Surgery Duodenal Switch (DS) Success! - Michigan, MI

I had DS by Dr K in August of 2009 and I've lost...

I had DS by Dr K in August of 2009 and I've lost 154lbs!

The insurance paid the bill of $42000.00

The insurance paid the bill of $42000.00

Grand Rapids Bariatric Surgeon

Dr K is a highly skilled surgeon, not a cookie cutter weight loss surgeon. I highly recommend him and his pratice!

I know you posted a while ago now, and I was wondering how you're doing now? I'm on the waiting list for a gastric sleeve and I need to lose about 200 pounds. You look amazing, you must be so proud of yourself. I don't know if you're still around but if you see this could I ask what's been the biggest change to your life?
Only if I eat too many carbohydrates

Thanks for the info Lisa. It sounds like you've been on a long but satisfying journey.

If you don't mind sharing, what weight did you start at and what are you at now?

I started at 316 and I'm now at 162, I'm 6ft tall with a BMI of 22.

Wow, you've done really well. I'm sure your review will be a great help to our other community members.

Thanks! It's been a great journey for me, one I'd highly recommend!
do you get loose bowls with this type of procedure?

Hi IKIK,

Thanks for the review, but before I add you to the Duodenal Switch community page could you please provide a bit more information about your experience to fully aid our community. :)

1. Did you experience pain and downtime, how was the procedure overall, do you have details?

2. What made you decide to go through with this procedure, how long had you been thinking about it?

3. What do you wish you knew before hand?

Thanks so much,

-Britt

1-The procedure lasted about 4.5hrs. I was in the hospital for 4 days, back to work part time at a desk job 8 days post op, then full time the following week. The pain was less than a hysterectomy. I was 39 at the time of the surgery and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck by the 3rd day! Then I felt much better and was off all RX and only used tylenol by the 6th day. I've had a great overall experience, feel very fortunate.

2- I knew what my future held- diabeties and high blood pressure along with who knows what other co-morbidities. Turning 40 the following year pushed me along as well. I had major joint pain and general exhaustion, being that overweight is a vicious cycle... you eat and don't move.. you don't move because you're too big, you feel sad because you're so big so you eat more... I knew something had to change. I went to a seminar thinking I wanted a lapband, but left wanting the DS after I'd asked the surgeon which post op patients were happiest, he said without a doubt the DS!

3- The mental challenge has been huge... I had no idea the mind trip losing over 100lbs in less than a year would be.

Hope that helps, feel free to copy and paste whatever you need into the original post.

Lisa

Thanks a lot for the additional info, Lisa. That's really helpful.

Congrats on your weight loss!