Weight Loss Surgery Duodenal Switch (DS) Success! - Michigan, MI

I had DS by Dr K in August of 2009 and I've lost...

I had DS by Dr K in August of 2009 and I've lost 154lbs!

The procedure lasted about 4.5hrs. I was in the hospital for 4 days, back to work part time at a desk job 8 days post op, then full time the following week. The pain was less than a hysterectomy. I was 39 at the time of the surgery and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck by the 3rd day! Then I felt much better and was off all RX and only used tylenol by the 6th day. I've had a great overall experience, feel very fortunate.

I knew what my future held- diabeties and high blood pressure along with who knows what other co-morbidities. Turning 40 the following year pushed me along as well. I had major joint pain and general exhaustion, being that overweight is a vicious cycle... you eat and don't move.. you don't move because you're too big, you feel sad because you're so big so you eat more... I knew something had to change. I went to a seminar thinking I wanted a lapband, but left wanting the DS after I'd asked the surgeon which post op patients were happiest, he said without a doubt the DS!

The mental challenge has been huge... I had no idea the mind trip losing over 100lbs in less than a year would be.

Thanks for the info Lisa. It sounds like you've been on a long but satisfying journey.

If you don't mind sharing, what weight did you start at and what are you at now?

I started at 316 and I'm now at 162, I'm 6ft tall with a BMI of 22.

Wow, you've done really well. I'm sure your review will be a great help to our other community members.

The insurance paid the bill of $42000.00

The insurance paid the bill of $42000.00

I know you posted a while ago now, and I was wondering how you're doing now? I'm on the waiting list for a gastric sleeve and I need to lose about 200 pounds. You look amazing, you must be so proud of yourself. I don't know if you're still around but if you see this could I ask what's been the biggest change to your life?
Only if I eat too many carbohydrates
do you get loose bowls with this type of procedure?
Grand Rapids Bariatric Surgeon

Dr K is a highly skilled surgeon, not a cookie cutter weight loss surgeon. I highly recommend him and his pratice!