Ultherapy of Lower Face & Neck Led me to a FACELIFT.

I am 47 years old and have been using fillers, etc...

I am 47 years old and have been using fillers, etc for about 5 years, on and off. However, the rapid sagging of my jawline and neck in the last two years has become too severe for the fillers to address so I have started looking into a lower facelift.

However, I planned to do the facelift next year on my 48th birthday and went to a new dermatologist for fillers yesterday, you know, to draw attention away from the turkey neck. After much discussion and reviewing case studies of other patients, she convinced me that Ultherapy would give me great results and perhaps stave of major surgery a while longer.

Here's what I know at this point and what you may be able to expect.

- About an hour prior to the procedure you are given an Ativan (optional) to calm you the f*** down, as well as 800mg Ibuprofen to help with the pain (oh, we'll get to the pain in a minute). Numbing cream is applied to the subject area.

- Ultherapy can be done in several areas of the face (upper, mid, lower or any combo thereof). I chose lower (i.e., from nostril-level to base of neck and from behind ear to behind ear.)

- Once you are sorta numb you are placed on a bed. A technician will then begin to address sections where a pre-determined number of "zaps" is called for, making sure the entire area to be treated is covered (like mowing a lawn). She/he will do section by section ensuring each section gets the number of zaps needed.

- It's a lot of zaps.

- Pain. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts. I've had tattoos done and some of the really bad zaps are up there with a tattoo needle except with tattoos you don't feel that nerve ending/electric shock pain. The zaps range from "mosquito bite" to "rubberband snap" to "OHMYGOD STOP SO I CAN KILL MYSELF". This is certainly a "No Pain, No Gain" scenario. But I got through it, because Beauty.

- The tech will first do the entire area with the ultrasound machine that goes really really deep and when all that is done he/she will go over the same area, piece by piece with an ultrasound that goes much less deep into the skin. The latter is supposed to hurt less. LOL.

- Once it's done you feel some tightness but it's been almost 24 hours and I have no discomfort whatsoever. I have no bruising or swelling or redness of any kind.

- Now we wait 3-6 months for results.

I will post before pictures shortly and then every month thereafter.

Stay tuned!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing your pictures and reading your updates.

BEFORE Photos

Ugh. I can't even look at these. Am I part turkey and didn't know it??

Before

Am I part turkey? UGH. I can't even look at these.
I just had Ultherapy yesterday...some swelling and bruising, but glad I had it done. The pain was not as bad as some of the reviews I read beforehand.
Thanks for sharing....a lot of us are still 'waiting' so we'll be right there with ya! =)

One week in, the tightening (and mild discomfort) begins!

I woke up with a little soreness in my neck today but didn't give it much thought, thinking it was residual tenderness from the procedure last week. However, as the day progressed the area got tighter and a bit more sore and now, 8 hours later I have had to take a Tylenol.

It's an odd feeling, like you can't swallow as easily as you normally do, like your neck is not quite long enough. Something is definitely going n in there.

I hope that's a good thing?
thanks for making me laugh - great read. any updates?? further comments, advice?

Hi, I'm in Miami too. Wondering how is it going so far for you. Is it worth it?? I want to do it but I spent so much money in the past with thermage and not seeing worth results that I'm a bit cautious this time... Can't wait to hear if you recommend it or not.

Hi there. I see no changes whatsoever but it won't be three months for me until September 9th and my derm was very clear that results are not to be expected until the 3-6 month range so I'll refrain from making any judgements. If you can wait a few months and read more results I think that would be a smart option.

Is there an improvement? I don't know.

It's been 3 months since my treatment and while I do sometimes see an improvement I have to say at this point I would have rather put the $2,500 towards a lower-face lift. I think I could have gotten this almost-imperceptible tightening with a good face cream.

My wonderful doctor told me she sees much more improvement from months 3-6 but I don't know. I can't see the tightening accelerating enough in the next 3 months to meet my expectations.

At this point I will most likely still go for a lower facelift early next year.
Hey there. I just posted recent photos. All in all, I think I'm still going for the lower facelift next year. There may be an improvement but I can't really tell so to me this wasn't a success.

3 months. Mind's made up - I'm having a face lift.

Ultherapy Schmerapy.

To be clear, I will give it 6 full months before a final "Worth It" or "Not worth It".

My doctor asked that I give it a full 6 months and that's what I plan to do. At that time I will give it a rating. Thanks.
ckmia-I just wanted to say thanks for posting your review and updates. I know it isn't easy 'putting it all out there'. I'm at my 3 month mark also and don't really see much happening. My nurse told me that I wouldn't see any improvements until the 4-6 month period. So, like you, I will give it the full 6 months before I give my final rating. Good luck...you have 3 full months to see improvement. Maybe we'll get there together! =)
Thanks so much for the understanding and support. I am going to give it 6 months to rate it fairly but I can't imagine the improvement in the next 3 mos being substantial enough to keep me from surgery. Talk to you in 3 mos. Keep your fingers crossed!
You got it.....=)

Ultherapy might have even made things worse!

Six months. Very disappointed. This was an experiment this doctor talked me into, but one only one of us could afford. I went to her to have some things injected here and there while I put money aside for a lower facelift. She told me not to do a thing and to give this a chance (i.e., "I need to pay for this ridiculously expensive Ultherapy machine I bought.")

Six months later I'm $2,500 poorer and saggier.

I went for my six month check-up today and after 1.5 hours of waiting to see the doctor I left.

Not worth it. Not one little bit.
Ultherapy is painful and doesn't work (at least in me). Sorry you had to spend the money. So frustrating when we are sold pricey procedures that are not the fix we want. Why can't they just be honest? I was told I was the perfect candidate. Yeah-to swindle my $$$! Hope you find resolve soon.
I too spent a lot of money on ulthera. Had it done for my eyes and also my lower face. Was told it would remove my jowls and tighten my skin. This didn't happen and it now seems worse then before. Very upsetting to have wasted all that money. Was later told that I may need a second treatment(at that cost) is ridiculous. I am 43 and was 42 when I had it done. I would never recommend this to anyone.
So sorry to hear your experience was as disappointing as mine. By the way, YSL just came out with a new line of creams that have helped me more in that area than the Ulthera did! Find a YSL counter and check the line out. Planning lower face lift for Jue 204, I will document that process as well.

8 months later...

Nothing. Like it never happened.

Oh wait! Something did happen! The doctor got an extra $2,500 to help pay for her very expensive machine!
You are 47? You look at least 60.
Hey thanks, asshole.
My experience EXACTLY - only my doctor (Dr. Van Dam of Barrington, IL) has my $3500 to pay for his machine, because, in his exact words, I was the "perfect candidate for Ultherapy".

Ultherapy - A Year Later

I am almost convinced that this procedure made my neck worse. The biggest waste of time and money ever. Glad I helped this doctor pay for her machine!

Please see my review: "Face Lift for my 48 Birthday" to see my facelift results.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ULTHERAPY. There are creams that work better than this ultrasound BS do!
erm...how is it you say the doc talked you into a procedure and in the next sentence that she's sweet and progressive and gives you best bang for your buck? Was that sarcasm?
Ha! Not sarcasm, I just haven't gone back to edit my review.
The exact same thing happened to me. :-( I was 36 looked pretty good, just wanted the tightening to look even better for my wedding. 5 years later extreme sagging in the areas that had been done. No one in my family had aged this way. It had to be the procedure. :-( Sorry to hear about your experience. I am posting this just hoping to save someone from this experience.
Dr. Julia Julien, M.D.

Update: Talked me into a procedure I didn't want and was unsuccessful. Went to my check up today, waited 1.5 hours, never saw her. A Columbia grad working as a Dermatolgist for over 20 years in Miami, Dr. Julien's reputation precedes her. Smart, to-the-point, scientific, plus sweet as could be. She's very progressive and will recommend only what she knows will give you the best bang for our buck. Her office is large, clean, gorgeous and her staff is remarkable.