Ultherapy of Lower Face & Neck on 6/10/13 -Miami, FL

I am 47 years old and have been using fillers, etc...

I am 47 years old and have been using fillers, etc for about 5 years, on and off. However, the rapid sagging of my jawline and neck in the last two years has become too severe for the fillers to address so I have started looking into a lower facelift.

However, I planned to do the facelift next year on my 48th birthday and went to a new dermatologist for fillers yesterday, you know, to draw attention away from the turkey neck. After much discussion and reviewing case studies of other patients, she convinced me that Ultherapy would give me great results and perhaps stave of major surgery a while longer.

Here's what I know at this point and what you may be able to expect.

- About an hour prior to the procedure you are given an Ativan (optional) to calm you the f*** down, as well as 800mg Ibuprofen to help with the pain (oh, we'll get to the pain in a minute). Numbing cream is applied to the subject area.

- Ultherapy can be done in several areas of the face (upper, mid, lower or any combo thereof). I chose lower (i.e., from nostril-level to base of neck and from behind ear to behind ear.)

- Once you are sorta numb you are placed on a bed. A technician will then begin to address sections where a pre-determined number of "zaps" is called for, making sure the entire area to be treated is covered (like mowing a lawn). She/he will do section by section ensuring each section gets the number of zaps needed.

- It's a lot of zaps.

- Pain. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts. I've had tattoos done and some of the really bad zaps are up there with a tattoo needle except with tattoos you don't feel that nerve ending/electric shock pain. The zaps range from "mosquito bite" to "rubberband snap" to "OHMYGOD STOP SO I CAN KILL MYSELF". This is certainly a "No Pain, No Gain" scenario. But I got through it, because Beauty.

- The tech will first do the entire area with the ultrasound machine that goes really really deep and when all that is done he/she will go over the same area, piece by piece with an ultrasound that goes much less deep into the skin. The latter is supposed to hurt less. LOL.

- Once it's done you feel some tightness but it's been almost 24 hours and I have no discomfort whatsoever. I have no bruising or swelling or redness of any kind.

- Now we wait 3-6 months for results.

I will post before pictures shortly and then every month thereafter.

Stay tuned!

BEFORE Photos

Ugh. I can't even look at these. Am I part turkey and didn't know it??

Before

Am I part turkey? UGH. I can't even look at these.

One week in, the tightening (and mild discomfort) begins!

I woke up with a little soreness in my neck today but didn't give it much thought, thinking it was residual tenderness from the procedure last week. However, as the day progressed the area got tighter and a bit more sore and now, 8 hours later I have had to take a Tylenol.

It's an odd feeling, like you can't swallow as easily as you normally do, like your neck is not quite long enough. Something is definitely going n in there.

I hope that's a good thing?

Is there an improvement? I don't know.

It's been 3 months since my treatment and while I do sometimes see an improvement I have to say at this point I would have rather put the $2,500 towards a lower-face lift. I think I could have gotten this almost-imperceptible tightening with a good face cream.

My wonderful doctor told me she sees much more improvement from months 3-6 but I don't know. I can't see the tightening accelerating enough in the next 3 months to meet my expectations.

At this point I will most likely still go for a lower facelift early next year.

3 months. Mind's made up - I'm having a face lift.

Ultherapy Schmerapy.

To be clear, I will give it 6 full months before a final "Worth It" or "Not worth It".

My doctor asked that I give it a full 6 months and that's what I plan to do. At that time I will give it a rating. Thanks.

Ultherapy might have even made things worse!

Six months. Very disappointed. This was an experiment this doctor talked me into, but one only one of us could afford. I went to her to have some things injected here and there while I put money aside for a lower facelift. She told me not to do a thing and to give this a chance (i.e., "I need to pay for this ridiculously expensive Ultherapy machine I bought.")

Six months later I'm $2,500 poorer and saggier.

I went for my six month check-up today and after 1.5 hours of waiting to see the doctor I left.

Not worth it. Not one little bit.

8 months later...

Nothing. Like it never happened.

Oh wait! Something did happen! The doctor got an extra $2,500 to help pay for her very expensive machine!
Dr. Julia Julien, M.D.

Update: Talked me into a procedure I didn't want and was unsuccessful. Went to my check up today, waited 1.5 hours, never saw her. A Columbia grad working as a Dermatolgist for over 20 years in Miami, Dr. Julien's reputation precedes her. Smart, to-the-point, scientific, plus sweet as could be. She's very progressive and will recommend only what she knows will give you the best bang for our buck. Her office is large, clean, gorgeous and her staff is remarkable.

Thanks for review, very helpfu
I now do spa treatment with laser tightening. im going in for my first chem peel next week...the treatments are so relaxing and your skin looks great..
then do the people it supposedly works on lie or does it really work?
I am doing facial exercises and they have lifted my face and gotten rid of wrinkles.
I am open to the possibility that it works on some and not on others, but I also know the power of denial and when you want to believe something.
Interesting. I'll have to look into that.
It has worked on me and I am by nature extremely skeptical. I posted lots of pictures in various lighting conditions so people can make up their own minds. The results are however VERY subtle. I know that in the mirror my eyes used to be pulled directly to my jowl area and now they are not. In the beginning I had swelling and bruising and my skin looked much worse than the before photos. It's been almost four months now and I see a slight difference. Is it a $3000 difference? I'd have to say that depends on how deep your pockets are. I wouldn't recommend anybody spending all their savings on it or borrowing for it but if they have the money than I say sure, try it. For me the sixth month mark will be final decision time but for now I say "so far, so good".
That's good to hear. For me, the difference, if there is any, wasn't worth $25. Yes, that bad. I look forward to your progress and will check back, thanks.
I go to a medical spa..i love it
I now go to a medical spa...I love it.
well that being said, for 3500 a for your lower face...I think not
Ultherapy is painful and doesn't work (at least in me). Sorry you had to spend the money. So frustrating when we are sold pricey procedures that are not the fix we want. Why can't they just be honest? I was told I was the perfect candidate. Yeah-to swindle my $$$! Hope you find resolve soon.
That's Exactly what I was told - "You are the perfect candidate"! Lots of pain and $3500 and 7 months later - no results at all. It makes me so angry that doctors are taking advantage of women this way!
Yep. For me, it was a complete waste of money and time.
I too spent a lot of money on ulthera. Had it done for my eyes and also my lower face. Was told it would remove my jowls and tighten my skin. This didn't happen and it now seems worse then before. Very upsetting to have wasted all that money. Was later told that I may need a second treatment(at that cost) is ridiculous. I am 43 and was 42 when I had it done. I would never recommend this to anyone.
So sorry to hear your experience was as disappointing as mine. By the way, YSL just came out with a new line of creams that have helped me more in that area than the Ulthera did! Find a YSL counter and check the line out. Planning lower face lift for Jue 204, I will document that process as well.
PS: Thank you for sharing your pics and hope to see more and how you are doing!
Thank you for posting. I recently attended a Ultherapy seminar and they more or less describe the same saying that one really will not see the results until 3-6 months. Considering the cost and time that the results lasts (18-24 months), I decided that this is not for me because the the cost of the procedure is quite pricey and I would much rather put that towards a facelift later which will be permanent for many years to come. I hope everything turns out for you as it might take a bit longer for you to see the results. Good luck!!!
I had it done last month still waiting on results. There might not be a big difference under your chin but I do think your jaw line looks a lot tighter. Just my two cents.
Wow, I just hear about the tx yesterday and can get it for pretty cheap and still am concerned that it won't be worth the $$$. Most of the pics are pretty inperceptable on the best cases as is. Chmia, thanks for such a HELPFUL post!!!
Thanks for the laughs :) u r very funny. I had lower face done in late April and I see a difference but not significant. Gave me a bit of a boost but overall a lot of $ for a boost. I too am now considering the facelift just tired of thinking about it!!
ckmia-I just wanted to say thanks for posting your review and updates. I know it isn't easy 'putting it all out there'. I'm at my 3 month mark also and don't really see much happening. My nurse told me that I wouldn't see any improvements until the 4-6 month period. So, like you, I will give it the full 6 months before I give my final rating. Good luck...you have 3 full months to see improvement. Maybe we'll get there together! =)
Thanks so much for the understanding and support. I am going to give it 6 months to rate it fairly but I can't imagine the improvement in the next 3 mos being substantial enough to keep me from surgery. Talk to you in 3 mos. Keep your fingers crossed!
You got it.....=)