42 Years Old, Bilateral Mastectomy with Radiation. Primary Reconstruction - Miami, FL

I was lucky enough to find out about autologous...

I was lucky enough to find out about autologous fat grafting as a means of primary breast reconstruction before having any other procedure done. In this procedure new breasts are built from fat liposuctioned from other areas of the body. It is a long process requiring multiple surgeries (I'm heading down for number 7 in August) but well worth the effort. I have soft, natural breasts with feeling made out of my own tissue, no implants. They are indistinguishable from the originals except for the lack of nipple. I would recommend this procedure to any post-mastectomy patient who doesn't want implants or a flap procedure. I am totally satisfied.
Miami Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Khouri is a wizard. He is the pioneer of this procedure and invented the suction machine that makes it possible. No one is more concerned with my outcome than he is. Worth seven flights to Miami. The aftercare is tricky because I'm a thousand miles away, but we manage with lots of emailed photos.

Thanks so much for sharing, this sounds like a great option for anyone who would rather have natural tissue versus an implant.

How has flying back and forth post-op been for you?  Do you have to spend some time in Miami before flying home?

Keep us posted on lucky surgery #7
I fly down on Wednesday and get marked for surgery that night, my surgery is on Thursday morning. We stay in Miami through the weekend. Then I have a follow up visit on Tuesday morning and fly home that afternoon. I'm back to work Thursday, so it costs me 1 week off work each time. I won't say I'm at full speed 1 week postop, but I'm functional. I keep one of my techs with me in all my rooms so big dogs don't jump on me (because the lipo sites are what hurts, not the chest). It's actually a nice weekend in Miami each time...I'm well enough the day after surgery to go to a movie, and out for dinner but otherwise we rest and read, watch TV. It's a nice break for us, since we are constantly running in our daily lives. It gets expensive to fly and stay all these times, but I'm very lucky that I can afford to do it. I wish more PS's would start offering this procedure so women who can't afford all that airfare and hotel would have better access to it. I'm a zealot believer that it's the most natural way to grow a new breast and I wish nobody had to go through contracted implants or failed flaps before they find this.
At least you get to recover a little in Miami :)
Thanks for the info, it sounds like you have the whole process down to a science, and that is really helpful info for anyone else who is considering doing the same thing.  I agree that it would be great if more surgeons offered this procedure.