I Lucked out with Dr. Leber - Mesa, AZ

I'm 9 years out now from my breast cancer and...

I'm 9 years out now from my breast cancer and reconstruction, and I'm still delighted that the doctors Leber were my surgeons. I had nipple-sparing surgery, monitored by Dr. G. so as to be left good material to work with. I am a spa swimmer for exercise, so the reconstructive choice was and is perfect for me. I lost some feeling in my nipples but kept a normal, active life. Cost below is a guess--insurance covered most everything since it was cancer.

I gave my doctor one month to do the required stretching for reconstruction; it was essential to be across country for a friend's major heart surgery. Then I wanted to complete the reconstruction before the start of the school year. Try not to speed; the doctors know how much time you need. Recovery from the mastectomy was accompanied by pain from stretching that normally takes at least 3 months, I believe. Major ouch!! I'd still do it, but do try not to follow my tough-it-out example. Less than three months for mastectomy and rebuild is probably certifiably insane.

Oh my gosh, wow!! That is really fast! I'm so glad that you were able to withstand that. No doubt you are an incredibly strong woman!!

How great to hear that you are still pleased with your results 9 years later. Looking back, what advice do you wish someone had given you when you were at different points in your reconstruction journey?

Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

He happened to be the in-office son of my oncological surgeon--purest luck for me! Dr. Robert was my oncological surgeon, and his son Geoffrey was working in the same Mesa office then. I was lucky to get Dr. Geoffrey before he left reconstruction for aesthetics, solely. Totally professional and caring at all times, my demands for a full double mastectomy were supported, and I felt that all advice was tailored to me and my needs.