84 Years Old with a New Ear! - Melbourne, FL

I had a melanoma on my ear that kept growing. My...

I had a melanoma on my ear that kept growing. My son suggested I see a plastic surgeon because it was big and my ear would have to be taken off.

Dr. Oppenheimer removed the cancer and I was able to keep my ear. I am very happy that I went to see him and he was able to remove the cancer within days of meeting him. It was not painful and now I am cancer free.

Dear SarahJo.The result of the resection is very gut. The important thing is, whether the melanoma was resected sufficiently. It must be histologically confirmed, that this tumour has a safety distance of at least 2 cm, better 3 cm to the edge of the incision line in the resected specimen. If this isn’t the case, then it must be considered whether still more of the ear should be removed.
Thanks Dr. Merck. This was a melanoma in situ that I excised with the square procedure: permanent margins and delayed reconstruction with a post-auricular flap.
You look great, SarahJo. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos. Was your surgery under general anesthesia or local?
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Adam was great. He explained exactly what he was doing throughout the procedure and reassured me that I would not have a huge hole in my ear as I feared. He is a wonderful person.