Juvederm Ultra Xc Lips Swelling - Melbourne, Australia

(The cost is $AUD598. I got it done in Australia...

(The cost is $AUD598. I got it done in Australia not the US) I had Juvederm Ultra xc injected into my upper lip and a tiny bit on my bottom lip to make my lips fuller and to even out the ridges in my lips. The injections were fine, I was pleased with the result, but when I went home that afternoon (and into the night) I stupidly over-massaged my lips to the point of them hurting and swelling (I was obsessive about distributing the filler evenly, even though the doctor had already done a good job, and consequently the next morning I woke up with an enormous upper lip - at least three or four times bigger than the night before.

It has taken four days for the swelling to gradually go down. I took the doctor's advice and rested with ice packs,using arnica cream, sleeping on my back with my head propped up on pillows (as that helps the blood drain down from the lips) and not over-exerting myself, and thank God it has finally gone down! My upper lip is still swollen, but I no longer look like a hideous freak, and I'm optimistic that it will completely go down into the desired result in another day or two. I just want to emphasise that this was not because of the doctor's techniques, it was from my own doing.

I had to learn the hard way, but thankfully, the swelling has finally gone down. DO NOT MASSAGE YOUR LIPS STRAIGHT AFTER TREATMENT. WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING! LEARN FROM MY NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE!!! But I must also say that despite my horrible experience, it was my own fault, and I have learnt to be more careful next time. I would do it all again, if it meant that the final result was perfect lips, and that is what I paid for, so no pain no gain. Fortunately, I have not suffered any long term pains or deformity or medical dangers. I'm not against cosmetic enhancement/or surgery, but please learn from my experience that you must be careful. Every single thing you put into your body will inevitably have positive and negative effects. Remember that with injected fillers you are putting foreign substances into your body, and whether it is mild or severe there will always be side effects. You have to be aware of the consequences to make an informed decision on whether or not the procedure is worth it.

For me, it was worth it, but everyone's different. Because I am so insecure and obsessed with my appearance, I don't mind putting up with a bit of pain to fix my faults. But then again, I've had my lips done a couple of times before and it was absolutely fine with no swelling or any complications (because I didn't massage them those times). But if you're not sure that you really want to have the procedure, then it's not worth the risk. If you're happy enough with the way you look already, I must ask why would you be prepared to waste so much money, time and health on something frivolous and superfluous? I would advise that you should only get cosmetic enhancement if you are truly so unhappy with your appearance that it is the only way to make your life tolerable. It's really a question of what lengths you are willing to endure physically to satisfy your psychological needs.

I'm probably making cosmetic procedures sound terrible and painful. They're not all that bad, but you can prevent the dangers and side effects if you always go to the BEST doctor you can find and get the BEST procedure, and make sure you are extremely informed about the procedure and look after yourself and be careful. I hope this advice will help you make an informed decision!

I do not touch my lips after any fillers because I know that the lips have a very thin layer of skin and they can bruise very fast. I just had my lips done 2-9-2012 and they got got bruised and red. That has never happened before. I remembered that I had been taking motrin for back pain for the last few weeks. Doctor's should warn you to stay off of certain meds prior to this procedure....

Thank you for noting what currency you paid in - that is really helpful information to include.

I'm sorry to hear about how much swelling you had. Did it hurt too, or was it just not pleasant to look at?

Yeah it hurt whenever I touched it and it looked awful but thankfully it has finally gone down! But now I'm worried the swelling may have affected the distribution of the product so I may have to go back and see the doctor.

The doctor was from London and had 20 years of experience. He was good and professional. The only reason why I scored average on some ratings was because with my procedure it wasn't really necessary as they were just injections, not an operation. I scored him very good instead of excellent on two of the ratings because although he was good and did answer questions, he could have been more reassuring and given better advice, and better answers.