Bi-lateral Breast Reconstruction Due to Prophylactic Mastectomy (LCIS Present in Breasts) 46 Year Old - Melbourne, AU

The motivation for my breast reconstruction was...

The motivation for my breast reconstruction was the fact that I had a benign lump removed that had LCIS tissue (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) surrounding it. (Pre-Malignant cells). My mother passed away from this type of breast cancer at 65 and had BC for 23 years. She had it 3 times. My surgeon advised me that it would be prudent to have a bi-lateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I took his advice without hesitating.

The relief I felt when I woke up from the surgery was immense. I have had wonderful care and support from nurses and surgeon post op. I had tissue expanders in each breast cavity for 6 months, and have just had the gel implants inserted, and a fat graft (liposuction) to help shape the breasts.

The outcome is outstanding. It's a big procedure, but worth it. I would recommend anybody who is in my situation to undertake this procedure. I would have 100% got breast cancer, and can now live without fear, and concentrate on bringing up my kids and getting on with my life. I thank the team who have looked after me so well.

Before

After - just out of surgery

More to come

Will post 'now' pics in next few days

3 Weeks Post implant exchange

Side view

Other side veiw

Update 12 months post Bilateral Mastectomy

Hi again. Since my last post on Real Self I have had another fat graft from my flank and stomach and am doing really well. I have had so many compliments on my new set of breasts and thank my doctors every day that the pre -malignant cells were detected and I was able to get my surgery done whilst being healthy and cancer free. I am very lucky. I have also been having some IPL and will get some needling done shortly, to reduce my scars. ARC plastic surgery have also been able to help me with this procedure and have been fantastic. I have attached some more photos for an update. Thank you again to Howard Webster and his team, and to my general surgeon.
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Howard Webster has been outstanding in all that he has done. He has given me expert advice and full support of my decision. Howard has been meticulous in all areas of surgery and post operative care. Howard and his staff have cared for me with utmost professionalism and kindness. They have made this procedure all the more tolerable. I thank Howard and his team for their outstanding care and kindness.

I'll be getting some more fat grafting in July so will post post op after that. Just need a bit more volume over the top area of implants.
Your story is so compassionate and a blessN I hope U remain c-free and U look great!
Msmsjazz, thank you. I was very lucky that my surgeon found my LCIS. Fabulous surgeons and a great result and blessed to be able to move on and pray to be C-free. Doing gene testing now.
I had a bilateral mastectomy for the same LCIS at the end of January. I just had my last tissue expansion and am looking forward to my implant surgery in 4 more weeks. I chose teardrop shaped silicone implants. After reading everyone's comments, I have to ask my PS if they are implanted under or over my chest muscle and do they move around? BTW....yours look great!
Thank you Clarey22. I chose teardrop shape to and they are really good. Mine sit over my chest muscle. Mine don't move around as they are sitting in the capsule / scar tissue that formed around the tissue expanders. Look forward to hearing how you go. Good luck.
Thanks FlatRock. Surgery scheduled on April 30th or May 1st. It's so good to hear that yours do not move around. Will keep you posted :)
It's been awhile since my exchange surgery. May 1st was the date and all went well. My implants were place under my chest muscle and the recovery was so much shorter than my first surgery. I took advantage of many physical therapy sessions to loosen up my chest muscle but recently the implants have felt tight again. Exercising and stretching helps and I hope things loosen up soon....
My implants weren't placed under chest muscle, but in my breast Envelope in my skin where the tissue expanders were, so my exchange silicon implants still felt abit wishy washy until the scar tissue healed and encapsuled the implants. I haven't had tightening. I find Pilates really good to release tension in areas that are hard to do at home. Good luck and hope you are happy with your exchange.
Your results look great
So do yours Trinalll. Amazing.
Thank you for taking the time to share your story on RealSelf. I'm so happy you were proactive with your surgery allowing you to not live in constant fear of cancer. Good for you! Your photos are so helpful to show other women in similar situations that you can look amazing after reconstruction. It's also nice that you found a doctor you liked and trusted, to work with during a difficult time. Just curious, where did you have the fat grafted from?
Dear Beth. I had lipo suction from my tummy and grafted above my implants. Very clever!
Yes, I agree that grafting the lipo to your upper breast was a great idea. It really does help put a finishing touch on your great looking breasts!