DOT Laser Resurfacing for Wrinkles, Hyperpigmentation, Scarring - Work in Progress - Medford, OR

Looked into several different types of lasers over...

Looked into several different types of lasers over the years. Had Fraxel done 3 times (about once a month) in 2005. This time I was looking for more drastic results and to address more than one problem. Just had the DOT laser therapy on Wed. (Sept 29). My physician used aggressive settings (I told him I wanted the most bang for my buck since I was spending $3950 and had an entire week to recover).

I used Obagi Clear and Retina A for the 2 weeks prior to the procedure, took the prescriptions for Valtrex and the antibiotic as directed and have followed the aftercare instructions to the T. No pain during the procedure as I was sedated with Versed (so he could be more aggressive in the treatment). Really haven't had pain with this experience.

Swelling continues after 48 hours and I look HIDEOUS! Really red-faced, obvious laser marks, swollen...a hot mess! I know it'll get better though. Have been (and cont) to use the Aquaphor which has kept my skin moist. Am starting to notice bubbling of the skin and some peeling, but I know not to try to peel.

Tomorrow I will start to use the Biafine instead of the Aquaphor. Today is Friday (night)....I am scheduled to work Wed...I hope I look a lot less freakish by then. I will cont to post updates and get some photos posted as well.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Well, so far, I think so. It's really too soon to tell if the cost of the procdure is worth the results. He was aggressive as I had asked him to be. He also offers another treatment within a year for just $500. So, in the long run this may really be worth it. I'll keep you all posted.

The grid marks are actually 3rd degree burns caused by smartxide laser on my chest. Nothing can be done to undo the grid scars and since it was such a severe burn, it took months just to heal and was extremely painful as all burns are. This was done by an RN in a dermatologist's office and I checked them out beforehand.
Heather, Please don't do this...it will make any sun damage worse and you will have scarring and red grid marks all over your face for the rest of your life and there will be nothing you can do about it!

Whatever you are trying to fix will not be worth destroying your face over.
hi susan thanks for your comment did you have this done ,how was it for you,do many people on this site have done smartxide with no problems.i want it to my face only ,did your dr say why you had grid marks left ,what after care did you do. thanks
Hi Susan,

Really sorry to hear about your results! I had the opposite with greatly reduced sun damage/pigmentation, no scarring, improved skin texture and elasticity, and reduced wrinkles. I hope that you have found a physician who helped you remedy these problems! I can't imagine what an ordeal that must have been/is.
please tell us how you are doing i realy want to no how the redness went and was your face healed how long from day of treatment ,please tell us more of your recovery.i would love to see more photo s i am due to have this done in 3 weeks
How are you now? Did the redness and scarring go away?
Now day four since DOT treatment. face still very red and swollen with golden crust all over. How much longer? I'm wondering why I did this to myself.
how did this work out for you?
Having this treatment done tomorrow for hyperpigmentation on face and upper lip. A bit nervous.... first timer. Never even had a peel. How are you doing?
So how are things now? I had this done 4 days ago and my face looks great. I think that recovery was better for me since I had Phot facial in the past. HOWEVER.. my neck and chest are infected!!! Check had a lot of sun damage and just isnt healing. Face is almost done and feels great but feel like I am no where near close to being done with this process and I have to get on a plane on Monday. It is Friday. Not sure i would recommend the chest to ANYONE. do photofacial for chest and neck
3rd day post op and the peeling has begun in full force. The upside now is that I can see beautiful, soft, fresh, pink skin in the areas that have peeled! Surprised that I still have swelling, but am feeling more confident that I may be able to look "semi normal" a week out. Am trying to figure out how to post more photos as those seem to really tell the story of healing best.
Any updates?