Looking the Way I Feel! - Burlington, MA

At three-and-a-half months post-procedure, I can...

At three-and-a-half months post-procedure, I can honestly say I’m thrilled with the results!

Having this procedure done in an office-like atmosphere under local anesthesia (Novocaine) really appealed to me. Because I’m an R.N., I knew the risks of general anesthesia would be eliminated, the risk of infection would be greatly reduced compared with a hospital environment, and the cost would be far more manageable ($6450 vs. $35000 or more). The only discomfort during the procedure was the initial administering of the local anesthesia, and that was short lived. After that, I was able to relax and even carry on conversation with the doctor for the entire time without the slightest pain.

Antibiotics were prescribed for preventative reasons, along with a short course of Prednisone to help reduce swelling. Adequate pain medication was also prescribed.

Although I’ll soon be 67 years old, I’ve been “accused” of looking in my mid-40s, both by strangers and those who know me well. I’ll take it! Looking at my before and after pictures still amazes me. So, yes, I would absolutely do it again!

Dr. James Alex

Dr. A has outstanding credentials, which was important to me. He is double board certified and was the director of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Yale. You can see by my 5-star ratings in all areas that he exceeded expectation.

Can a.tone tell me if you feel pain during surgery. They told me I would fall asleep. I have heard horror stories. I don't mind after surgery discomfort.
Where is the dr. Located
Barb, you look fantastic!!! :-)
Barb, where in the world did you come up with a price tag of $35,000 for a face lift? Maybe if you had it done in Beverly Hills, CA with 24 hr aftercare but not for a normal facelift. The LSL is not a full facelift and other board certified facial plastic surgeons offer solutions along the same line as LSL and they will do it under a local if requested. I am glad that you are happy with your results and hope that you continue to be happy. Best, Chrystal.
Hi, Chrystal,
I came up with the huge price from another person who had a simular proceedure done (with the platismaplasty) in a hospital. I didn't have any eyework done and maybe she did. I guess she had to pay for pre-op & post-op care along with general anesthesia, and anesthesiologist or anesthetist, use of the operating room and an overnight stay. Maybe she wasn't telling the truth? I don't know. Two friends of mine have since had a LSL and they, sisters, both paid less than I did....$5,000.00. Big difference, huh. Wow, I must have been a wicked mess! But I'm pleased with the results.
Hey Barb, I think maybe she had a little bit more done. Even in the link posted above, most facelifts run from 11 to 15 thousand. It is not the same thing as a LSL. LSL only addresses the lower 1/2 of the face. Glad you are pleased with your results and wish that many of us could tout the same claim. I cannot... too many problems with my LSL surgery. On the good side, other private board certified facial plastic surgeons offer similar types of surgery done under local (although they will be the first to say, are you sure you want to endure this pain awake and I know why), and comparing apples to apples are in the same neighborhood price wise as the LSL. My point being: get a 2nd opinion on any kind of surgery that you are considering. I could have saved myself a bunch of time and money not to mention mental anguish, time and effort. Again, glad you are pleased and hope you have continued success. Best, Chrystal
Barb is so right, you need to take care of the skin on your face and neck, even behind your ears.
I have been getting excellent results with PRO X cream by Olay to keep it moisturized. I also have just tried YOUTH CODE,by Loreal,for me, I like the YOUTH CODE. Both are a little pricy,they can be bought at any CVS, Rite Aide or Walmart. They do go a long way. Now with summer coming, I am using a sports SPF sunblock under my makeup. You will see that the sutures will glide behind your ears in time and the moisturizer helps to soften the scaring. Happy recovery. Aleta
Miss Barb D D: Thank you for sharing LSL news and Harley news! May I ask if you took the Arnica Montana and ate fresh pineapple for bruising? Any vitamins beforehand? Now for the Harley question: have you worn your helmet since your procedure? I have the full-face helmet, covering the chin as well, and always felt it took a day or two for my face to look/feel "me" again after a long ride. Long ride being half-way across the nation. At this point, even before my procedure, I'm not keen on putting that helmet back on (not that I would ride without out it!)
I didn't take any special vitamins or eat pineapple. Bruising is part of the "experience." Cold packs help with that. Hopefully you read my previous postings regarding sun, tanning and sunscreen. We need to avoid the things that aged us in the first place. Post-op, take care of your skin. And, believe me, you won't be putting your helmet on for a while. We are not hard core riders...just for fun. I'll be wearing my face shield from now on though.
I value your comments even more because you're in the medical field, Miss Barb D D., and appreciate your prompt replies.
These comments mean a lot to me as I am currently 5 days post op. I am swollen and rainbow-hued but very optimistic.
you havent peeked yet for bruising or discoloring! I got so bruised even a black eye,lets just say I didnt want my grandchildren to see me and get scared. Then it all went away, NICELY. Your chin band is super important, you cant skip a day. Let me know how you're doing. Aleta
Funny you should say that about grandkids. My grandaughter thinks I am out of town because I didn't want her to be scared. She is 4 and a half. This morning my daughter told me she said "I miss my nana." I felt bad but I think its for the best right now.

I can already see the improvement in my neck despite the royal purple color I am wearing for the royal wedding. LOL.

Mary S
You will be bruised for weeks and the swelling will gradually subside. Aleta is right. Keep your wrap on for the full recommended time. That is what helps to keep your skin up against the underlying muscles (which are scored) until scar tissue forms and permanently attaches the skin to the muscle. Afterwards, these areas will feel hard and will, over the next weeks, soften up. Ice bags help reduce the swelling and also aid in reducing discomfort. Complete and total restoration of tissues could take months and is not unusual. Hang in there.
When I went back to have sutures removed one week post op, I turned heads! My husband and I ate at Cheese Factory and the waitress looked a little dismayed. I thought it was funny. Speaking of eating, for the first 5 days, I had to eat babyfood and drink supplement drinks because it was uncomfortable to chew and I couldn't open my mouth very wide. They don't make baby food like they used to when my kids were babies. Yuk!
Funny, but true story. One woman, who had the proceedure at the Burlington site, I think, had a UPS delivery. She wasn't very far post-op and she went to the door to sign for the package. A few minutes later, the police showed up at her door because the UPS guy thought she had been badly assaulted and needed their help. Only one of my grandchildren saw me but my kids were horrified!
That is hysterical. I just ordered a new cell phone which I am sure I will have to sign for, I might have the same thing happen. Now I'm hoping it doesn't arrive too quickly which will just about guarantee it sets some record for fast delivery. I also had a full face laser treatment and eyelid surgery so I am a real sight.

Yeah my kids are all looking at me wide-eyed with disbelief. I told them we'll talk in 25 years when they start thinking about it. Although maybe this method will be some barbaric story from the past with all the things that research might develop in that length of time. But we'll be the tough nuts that did it the old-fashioned way. Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps.
Mary, I saw that you had full face laser and eye surgery as well as the LSL and neck surgery. You have to be quite a trouper!!! Although I didn't have my eyes done, I did have one area of laser. It started under my nose and included my lip lines and chin. Talk about looking like the Joker from Batman! Actually the laser treatment areas stay pink (even red) for quite a few months. I kept my face slathered in vaseline for the first week to 10 days. After that, I would wash it off and put makeup on to go out and then trowel it back on when I got home. I loved having my first shower and shampoo; had to use Dawn dishwashing soap to break up the grease and even then, it took several washings. Gotta love it.
Miss Barb D D: Your six-week post-op photo looks great!!! You say you had laser around the mouth area, and that it stays pink for quite a few months. You must have lots of makeup on, because you can't see any discoloration!!! I'm scheduled in two weeks for full-face laser, lower eyes, LSL and neck work, and will attend a family reunion six weeks after that. I'm hoping to look as good as you in your after photo.
Hi, Harleymama. Just FYI, my husband and I ride a Harley, too. Anyway, I'm about 4 months post proceedure and, yes, I do still have pale pinkness in the laser area and I do have on makeup. Once the initial scabbing and flakiness is under control, makeup does work wonders. I found that "Rimell Lasting Finish" worked best for me and it is available at CVS. You should look good , no, great, for your family reunion!
I am scheduled for Monday and am petrified Do you feel the pain during the procedure?
hi Barb, Dr. Alex was also my Dr. and I had the procedure in April 2010, still happy and thanking him everyday in my thoughts.
Aleta-Amazing Results-Connecticut

looks ok. now, but would like to see
another picture 6 months from now...

I will post another picture at 6 months post-op. Some things to keep in mind are that you need to wear a high SPF sunscreen and no tanning or tanning salons; smoking is NOT your face's friend; large amounts of weight loss or weight gain or Yo-yo dieting will effect how you look and, of course, stress is going to take a toll. The truth is that LSL is really a marketing name for a "full face-lift" done under local anesthesia. Since I've never done this before, I'm hoping it will last for a decent amount of time.