44 Year Old Mother of 2, Taking Time for Me!

I just had liposuction done on my abdomen, hips...

I just had liposuction done on my abdomen, hips and inner thighs. I'm 5 days into recovery and have found this web sight to be very helpful. I wanted to contribute in hopes that I could help others as well. I found that at age 40 my metabolism crashed and the pounds just kept creeping on. I've been eating healthy and joined a gym with a personal trainer 3 times a week in January of this year. However, even with dedication and commitment I still wasn't seeing results. I felt stronger but was becoming frustrated with my size NOT changing. The long and short of it... I returned to the plastic surgeon who performed breast augmentation 13 years ago after my second child was born. I'm going to log my recovery process here with weekly pictures along with my experience, strength, and hope.

One week after and I'm thrilled

After my first week I'm already seeing not only the difference from before the surgery but also gradual improvements each day. The picture I've included today compares my last post to today. I feel and see a difference in the swelling around my waist. My doctor said just as the bruising would get better from top to bottom and I'm noticing so is the swelling.

Arnica Gel is wonderful!

After reading many people using Arnica I went and purchased some. I got it at Walmart for about $8. It is a gel form. It felt so good the moment I applied it. It's a cooling sensation with a bit of numbing. I got it hoping it would help with the bruising. I still hope I get some results in that department but will continue to use it 3 times a day as prescribed simply for the soothing effect it has had. The second thing I scored at Walmart was a 'Flexees' by Maidenform body shaping garment (size large). It goes from mid thigh up to bra line with arm straps. It has a slit for going to the bathroom. But the best part is it feels so good. The material is firm and snug but not binding. So all in all it's been a really super day!

2 Week Update

Each day I feel a little bit better. I've noticed the swelling by my ribs has gone down. I asked dr when I saw him today and he indicated just as my bruising will get better from top down, so will my swelling. I can actually feel my rib bones! Yet I feel really bloated today. I think it might be because I ate salty food last night and because I'm doing more. I want to start exercising again (got cleared to do eliptical by dr) but with more activity comes swelling. Ugh. To do or not to do? Because the area is still healing and irritation will cause inflammation. Makes sense. But I'm really missing my gym routine. Here are photos comparing before and today and then comparing last week and today. I see a difference but like I said I feel bloated and can see it in my lower abdomen - the pooch! I'm patient. It'll come in time.
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

This facility is wonderful. I felt this way 13 years ago when I had breast augmentation surgery and Dr. Leake and his staff remain outstanding.

Love reading your journey. I'm going to Leake's partner Petrosky. Can't wait!!! Almost two weeks out. :D
You should be ok with a week off. Standing was much better for me than sitting. If I'd had to sit a week later for 5 hours it would have been an issue but standing should be alright. Bending and twisting was uncomfortable. I'm going to post some more pics in next day or so.
Did you get an extra compression garment? I thought about it but don't want to pay $150 or so on something I won't need later on.
What size do you wear? I had boughten several and will send them to u if they would fit. I paid $80 apiece for a couple of them. I would not charge 4 them, just knowing they r not going to waste is enough for me.
I did not get one from PSCS. My favorite is Maidenform Flexease. I got them at Walmart for $20. The one Dr L gave me has zippers on the side and was very uncomfortable. I got an XL at first, L and eventually ended up in a M.
I bought this for when I'm washing the CG the doc gives me: http://www.spanx.com/shop/assets/shapewear/remarkable-results-open-bust-mid-thigh-body-zid38-2271/cat-38-catid-tn_lya_sw Also bought some arnica tablets to help with bruising and also got the gel you referred to in one of your posts.
This is perfect. You'll be so glad you did. You sound extremely prepared and ready! I'm so excited for you. It's well worth it.
Sounds like your healing is going really well so far!  Have you tried walking as a form of exercise until you feel ready to do the higher intensity stuff?
Yes! Didn't mention that. I have a year old golden and we have been at park and walking daily since last Friday. It helps but I miss my ear buds jammin workout. Even though you can't tell from my before pics.
Yeah walking isn't the same as jamming out!  Hopefully you can go back to it soon and get back into your rythm.
I have one of Wal-Mart in size small CG and find it with as good of compression as the medium CG that I purchased through the PS. You are looking great. Congrats.
Girl you are going to look amazing mid May!!!! I think they can only take out 5k in Louisiana so I just pray it will help ! I swear you get addicted to reading this site and then you keep seeing the next 5 surges you should probably have. No wonder men sometimes say" Ya"ll are CRAZY":)
You look really really good!!! I am having lipo plus ps from a burn on my leg on the 12th and I am 54. Do you mind telling me how many CC"S they took out if you know? I am praying my doc. will do the 5k but I don't know and he won't say until he "gets in there to"...:) Again thank you for posting it is so very helpful!!
5700 cc. Hard to believe almost three 2 liter 'diet coke' bottles worth. If you go to my first post I have my before pics there. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Wow, that is a lot. What was your bmi? Just mark me down as nosey but that is a lot to remove at once.
Don't know what my bmi was but I'm thrilled that much was taken. I feel great and am so grateful my procedure went so smoothly. I trust my surgeon completely and have faith he did the right thing for ME. He's had his practice for 25+ years and is known in the area as one of the best.
You know your doctor is perfectly fine to take that much out!!! You can take out 6K very safely!!! Sadly I happen to live in a stop that says they can only take out 5:( Anyway you look AMAZING so your doctor KNOWS what he is doing:)
You look great!!
I really appreciate your feedback. It's hard to look at myself with such bruising. My fiancé has a really difficult time seeing me 'beat up'. So hearing I look great means a lot.
I can see the improvement. Sometimes it seems to b slow with the swelling and bruising. Good luck.
Yep, after a certain age those pounds seem to find u and they all go to the wrong areas. I said I and Dolly Patton had the same measurements, I just had to walk on my hands to get them in the same place. LOL
Hi! I just had the same exact procedure done a week ago today! Keep us Posted on your progress. Happy healing :)
Thanks! I went in today for my one week check up. My adhesives for my incision points (2 lower back, 2 lower abdomen, 1 belly button, 2 upper thighs) were removed. I was hoping he would clear me for the massage but not yet. I'm still quite bruised. Going again next Wednesday for check up. How are you?? Because we both had this at the same time I'd be very interested to know how you are doing?
Hi! I'm doing good. Today is one week post op. I took pics but they all turned out fuzzy so I'll try again tomorrow. I have lots of pics on my posting if you wanna check them out. Today, I am more swollen than I have been so far...it even worried me to the point where I called the PS's office. They said this was normal and I would continue changing on basically a daily basis for awhile. I go back on Friday for my one week follow up. I am VERY bruised and it's running down my legs. My knees are really swollen too I guess because the compression garment stops right under them so the fluid is pooling around my knees where I also have an incision on the inside of each one. They stopped draining several days ago and I believe are closing up. I honestly got a little disappointed when I saw myself today when I didn't see much of a difference. The doc said I could also be retaining water from all the fluid and still swollen and bruised which I really am. Are you experiencing any of the same?
Boy, that was quite a bit to have removed at one time. Almost 3x's what I had removed. Good luck with your healing.