4 Sessions of Microdermabrasion + IPL = Manhattan, NY

I had 4 sessions that combined a quick 1-2 pass...

I had 4 sessions that combined a quick 1-2 pass sweep of microdermabrasion, followed by intense pulsed light treatment. I had initially purchased a package on Lifebooker for IPL to treat dark under eye circles and I was upsold (when I got to spa) on micro +IPL. The MD remarked that dark circle treatment without addressing hyper-pigmentation on my face would make me look funny.
Well, I've had 4 treatments. Only the first one was performed by a doctor. The last 3/4 were performed by an aesthetician. I noticed about a 30% change in hyper-pigmentation after my first treatment, and my skin appeared brighter. This was in fact immediately. I didnt suffer from any down time... really no redness and no darkening of freckles (in fact this didn't happen in any of the treatments). I would say now, after 4 treatments, there is still about a 30% reduction in hyper-pigmentation. After dishing out $800 on a special for 4 txs, I would have expected a little more of a result. I don't really notice a change in my dark circles. I AM however concerned that my face might look a little on gaunt side, and I'm concerned about fat loss, especially around my eyes, making them look hollowed. I'm a bit scared reading some of the reviews. The setting however was pretty low and my last of 4 treatments, spaced 2 weeks apart was last week. Incidentally, I have lost weight (this is unwanted as I'm already thin), due to stress and over work.
Dr. Payyar

Also IPL does not help for dark circles, I have the same problem and considering Restalyne, but I'm not too good with the injections and pain that goes with it ;o)
I had Restalyne for under my eyes, and it didn't hurt at all. You can ask your spa person to put a numbing cream on your face before they do it.
IPL can really help your skin look better, key is not to have it too strong and stay out of the sun = sooo important at least for a while before you go and sunblock also every day before and after. No Vit A or Retinoids or any harsh products before you go, these can all have a negative outcome for skin.
Didnyou know that the IPL photo facial was dual ipl/RF
Yeah, she told me
2 last summer and 2 more spaced out 3 weeks apart January 2013. I didn't mean to scare you. just be gentle with your skin now. i saw the damage right away is some areas. my face was sagging and inflamed the moment i left the office from the last ipl. Other damage come out months later like the indentations. I notice all the indentations once summer came and I was in the sun more. All those spot began turning dark not so much on the top layer of the skin but more underneath In a deeper layer. My skin looked to me so lifeless. Also I had bumps every where not pimples but tiny bumps that would erupt all around the really damaged skin. I figure I was burned in those places so now I'm trying to heal my skin from the bottom up essential. I don't know if it can be done but I'm still trying. I've been using castor oil packs and really they've help significantly. The first month I used them it felt like there was a war going on under my skin. My scars look better though. Progress is slow with skin it takes time to heal. The only thing I don't think I can fix without surgery Is the fat loss. Under my eyes look sickly. So dark and hollowed. Ugh don't worry yourself to much. Just moniter your skin and baby it.
Hopeful2heal, it's been about a couple of months since my last appointment. I noticed my face looked a little gaunt initially but now it looks kind of back to normal. My skin is a little bumpy, like clogged pores, but otherwise it's ok. I never burned when I left the office. I should ask how many months was it (after your laser) before you noticed indentations? Also, have you tried bioheal's CP serum? The crazy thing is I brought these concerns to Dr. Payyars office and after the got me to purchase the 4 treatments they said absolutely no refunds and they made me feel like I was a crazy person for bringing any of this up. They said RF cannot possibly cause this and I need to look at the science, despite all of the things I later heard about it. I'm not an MD, but I know a bit about research given my field, so I was upset.
Yes they will make you feel like you're fine and nothing could possibly happen because it's so superficial she says. I asked her about fat loss and scarring before my procedure and she adimitly said no that cannot happen. I should have never went back after last summer and if I wasn't prepaid I wouldn't have never ever returned. I did go back to her just to show her the damage and she said that my skin looked great. You can see that there is fat missing on one side of my face along my smile line. She did say that she my face looked thinner and my eyes looked hollowed but she attributed that to my metabolism changing and me supposedly losing weight. Wrong I actually gained 12lbs since January. Around my chin they were immediately apparent but others started coming out 5 months later until today. It is incredible frustrating. Hopefully you never have any lasting problems. I haven't tried CP serum but have seen other good reviews on it.
Oh wow. So, I think I had my last IPL done at the end of May- June. All were very light. I asked them to not do it too strong. I don't see any changes now. Do you think I might later? Scared
I'm sure you're fine. The first ipl and microderm went good reduced my redness on cheeks and nose a bit. After that I didn't see any improvements. I only notice that my face did started hollowing out from the first ipl after the last ipl caused the scarring. That's because I went back and looked through pictures and really could see the change. I did notice 7 months after the first 2 IPLs that my upper cheeks looked dull and and the skin looked rough but I didn't think much of it. So after December I decided to go back and use the remainder of what I originally had prepaid on. 3rd ipl seemed fine but it was the last one that really I believe caused most of my damage. I told her that it was very painful I could barley sit but she told me I was fine that she had previously had a higher setting on me. so I thought I would be fine. After she was done she had sold me some dermabrasion cream and told me this would help to tighten my skin back up. Really tighten my skin up I never had any problems with needing tight skin I'm still in my 20s. I don't know exactly how the settings work but she used 18 up 22 on me and rf of 5 and 6. My chin was visible messed up and my nose. But my cheeks and forehead looked fine until later. She did multiple passes in some areas mainly around my mouth. I had swelling for months after the last ipl which I never experienced with the 1st 3 sessions. If you left the office looking the way you came in Then I'm sure you're fine. I wouldn't worry about it. If you notice that your skin goes from one smooth surface to nooks and crannies then you probably sustained some damage but that can be cleared up with some light peels.
Hopeful2heal may i ask how long ago you got those procedures? Scared
I don't want to alarm you but when I saw your review I had to comment. I went to this same dr. And the same thing happened to me. She over sold on treatments me but she was the only one that preformed 4 ipl and microdermabrasions on me. I was going to her for pigmentation issues only, i never had acne, and she commented on how beautiful my skin was. Fast forward to now and I have noticable scarring all over my face. I have large stretched pores on both cheeks and yes my face has completely hollowed out I first noticed the hollowing under my eyes then the rest of my face followed. Made one of my eyebrows droop slightly and changed my nose. it looks crooked and seemed to make the cartilage weak. At the time which she never explained but the machine she uses has radio frequency fxn. I would have never done the ipl if I would have known that because RF is used to melt fat.
so scared as just had first (and last!) IPL photo facial today and never would have done it if I'd known it has RF.. i don't like RF and it hurts my eyes and head and now (I had great skin w a little rosacea and brown spots at 43) looks all indented and awfuL :( ONE time cost me 550 at plastic surgeon's office (not seen by the actual doc but tech) for hands and face. hands are ok knock wood
Always ask the person doing the treatments, how much experience they have and how many procedures they actually done in the past. You need to have someone with a medical back ground do it. A Nurse, PA, or Dermatologist.
What does RF stand for?
I hate this whole industry that destroys innocent people's lives! I'm sorry that you're going through this. I did find that with sometime and a good diet that some of the spots fill in a bit at least for me. I too wasn't told about the radiofrequency and have suffered because of it. Try to use some natural oils, least hazardous makeup, and try to keep your head up. Don't look in the mirror to much and focus on the good in your life. With time it will get better.
Radio-frequency
I loved the results of my Photofacial that I had 2 months ago. My skin never became red or flaky. But The large pores on my face are back AND the brown spots are ALL still there. Paid in advance for 2 addt'l Photofacials. Does anyone think this is a temporary, really temporary benefit ? Or has anyone had LASTING results from DOT therapy?

Thank you for posting your review.  I am hoping you will see more results with time.  I have not tried the Photofacial but have done the Microdermabrasion and love those results.

Stress can be a killer on the system..UGH!  Try to get some more calories in your system and put that weight back on.