Worth Waiting For - Manhattan, NY

After a hysterectomy that put me into instant...

After a hysterectomy that put me into instant menopause at age 48, I began to put on weight rapidly in places especially my breasts. Some might find this a good thing but I have a small frame and the added weight caused back and shoulder pain that, combined with the pressure on my bra straps would make my hands and arms go numb. I asked for a recommendation from my GP and she suggested Dr. David Cangello, who had happened to have done work on one of her office staff-"a beautiful job," she said. I found that Dr. Cangello actually was one of the physicians covered by my insurance plan, and I made an appointment. Juva Skin Spa in Manhattan is, I think primarily, a place where Botox, fillers, and other cosmetic work is done-it was a surprise to go there for a surgical consult. That said, it is a very pleasant surrounding-just not very "medical" or hospital-like at all- more like a beauty salon. That is not a bad thing, just unexpected. Dr. Cangello was very confident and reassuring, and he always had a young woman assistant with him during my exams and consultations. I guess all physicians do this now when there are certain exams.He quickly determined that I would be a good candidate for reduction and I was scheduled so fast with approval from my insurance that I actually had to reschedule for later in the year due to my starting a job when the first surgery was scheduled. I do very physical work so needed to wait 6 weeks before resuming my job. I was able to reschedule during our Christmas/New Year's break so only missed 3 weeks of work. The surgery was done on an outpatient basis in Manhattan Eye & Ear Hospital. It took a few hours and I am not the best with post-anasthesia so was very queasy afterward for a couple of days. I had to come in for a post-op check 2 days later and was able to get a friend to come with me to deal with taxis, etc. I stayed wrapped up for about 2 weeks, then the few stitches were removed and I could wear a normal front-closing exercise bra. I felt immediately lighter, and my back and shoulder issues were almost completely gone. I am not sure what my pre-op size was-I had to alter my bras but was somewhere in the 30G or so range. I asked if I could go down to a C cup, and I'd say that for some bras I am around there but maybe closer to D, sometimes DD. If I am diligent with exercise, as I feel much more comfortable now doing, I think I can get some of the fat down in the troublesome places. I am very happy to have had the work done, and would highly recommend Dr Cangello.
Thank you for sharing your journey with the community.  Would love to see your before and after pictures.
Thx- am still putting everything together. Will try to post soon.
That would be awesome!
New York Plastic Surgeon

Dr David Cangello was terrific. I highly recommend him.