I had puffy and hooded upper eyelids that I could...

I had puffy and hooded upper eyelids that I could not wear make ups. The upper eyelids will always smudged the make up when they sat on top of my existing eyelid creases. So, I decided to do something to fix this problem.

I have went to get three different surgeons for consultation that I wanted a thread lift to raise my brow and to lift the droopy eyelid skin instead of upper blepharoplasty because i am always afraid to go under the knife and I have existing eyelid creases that i do no need to create new double eyelid creases. But non of them has agreed with me. They advised me to go for upper bleharoplasty due to my upper eyelids were too puffy and looked like there are exessive fats in the lid that have to be removed.

One of the surgeon has showed me the before and after photos of his patients that underwent browlift where the incision is at the browline and the healing results were pleasant as the scars were invisible under the brow hair and the downtime is only 2 weeks compare to the upper blepharoplasty.

So, I went for the brow lift at the same day after the consultation on 18/10/13. The procedure took about one hour with anesthesia at the eyes area. I was awake during the whole procedure. It was scary as you could hear the sound of the cutting but there were no pain.

The surgeon made the incision under my brow line and skins and some muscles were removed. He told me that there were no excessive fats to remove. Bandage were put at the suture to avoid infection. I did not take any antibiotic and pain killer pills as i was still breastfeeding my 2 months old baby. The pain was not that bad after the numbing has gone.

I am now at 18 days after my surgery. My eyelids still look puffy and the suture area still feel pain on and off. But the surgeon told me they are still swelling and it takes about 2-3 months for swelling to totally dissipate. But I look at them like no difference at all before and after the surgery.

Am my worry too early? I am so afraid that my surgery has wasted my time and money as well as the effort under the knife.

22days post-op

Here's my photos at 22nd day post-op. Still can't see much different compare to before surgery. The suture is very visible, I have to cover it with concealer. My eyes still look puffy as before. My eyelids are not lifted as I wished.

40 Days Post-Op

It's 40 days after my brow lift surgery. My eyelids are still puffy and droopy. I've given text messages since 15/11/13 to the surgeon clinic to get the reason but I cannot get any reply till today 28/11/13. I've made a call to the consultant lady and she asked me to go back for 2nd surgery to fix my problem.

I was not happy with that and ask why she recommended brow lift but i could not get the result as the surgeon promised and showed before my surgery?! Moreover, the scar is very visible! She said maybe I have too much muscle tissues and has to let the surgeon to check again. She said scar will dissipate after 3 months.

I've made an appointment to go back to the clinic on 9/12/13. I will have to undergo for 2nd surgery but I am very worry that the result will get worse.

Any recommendation ?

2nd Surgery to Fix My Eyelids Problem

I went back to the surgeon Dr. Hu today ( 9 Dec 13) to get his explanation on the ineffectiveness of my brow lift. His explanation had made me so disappointed and angry. He told me that my eyelids were healing fine but not lifted as what I wanted. He could have another surgery for me but no guarantee that it could lift my hooded eyelids. This is making me mad as I previously agreed to go under the knife when he promised with 100% guarantee that my puffy and hooded eyelids will be lifted after the surgery!

I was so regret that I have trusted this surgeon that ruins my brows! Now that the money was gone, brows were left with visible scars but my eyelids are not lifted!

Then the consultant lady asked me to seek the advice from another surgeon from the same clinic. She promised that she will fix my problem without any additional charges. I agreed to get the 2nd opinion and advice not because of the free of charge but I want my eyelids to be lifted as I wanted in the first place.

Due to the other surgeon was at a other outlet, we went there to see the surgeon Dr. Chan.

Dr. Chan adviced me to go for 2nd surgery to remove more skin and he will remove fats as well this time that Dr. HU did not do in my 1st surgery. He gave me guarantee that this time will have the result that I wanted. I was so worry because the 1st surgeon was giving the same guarantee during the 1st surgery as well. Moreover, my concern is that removing more skin maybe resulting shocking eyes or eyelids could not fully closed during sleep as what I've seen in cases from the Internet.

He told me my worries are not going to happen. He could just ignore my case because he is not my surgeon for the 1st surgery. He was trying to help to do what he can to get what i wanted. And he told me that he will not do the surgery if he is not confident. The incision will be at the same scar but a few mm longer as he explained.

Then I agreed to do the 2nd surgery since it is at the same incision. Worst case that I will get is the eyelids are not lifted if this surgeon also fails.

The surgery took a little longer about 2 hours this time. Dr. Chan told me my fats are very deep under my muscles. He did the removal of fats and suturing slowly.

My eyelids could not completely close after the surgery but he told me it will settle down after the sweeping dissipate. My eyes look weird this time. And the swelling is very serious compare to the 1st surgery. And the pain is more.

I really hope this time is the last surgery for my eyelids. The experience is not pleasant.

I will keep updating my status.

2nd day After 2nd Surgery

Eyes are swelling to the maximum. I did not take any pain killer or antibiotics because I am still breast feeding.

I could see a stretching mark at my left eyelid. I can feel pulling sensation at my eyelids. The incision line this time is very long. Longer at the end of my brow. The plaster is not yet removed.

3rd Day After Revision Surgery

I removed the bandage by myself today as instructed. The sutures look fine this time the doctor's work is better compare to the first surgeon. Can't really see the stitches this time. But the incisions are very long towards the end of my brows. The swelling is still maximum. Dr. Chan did ask if I want to have a non incision procedure to highlight more of my original crease during the surgery. His advice was the 2 areas can heal at the same time but I rejected. I was too worry this revision surgery will fail and I do not want any extra worries unnecessary.

I have to go back to remove the stitches after 7 days. I am very worry that the suture line will not dissipate and leave a very visible scar forever.

Stretch line on eyelid

Is it normal to have a stretch line across my eyelid? Will it end up a pulling line when my eye is fully healed later?

4th Day After Revision Surgery

Swelling subsiding and my eyes look weird today. My right eyelid still feel little numbness. Bruises going down to lower lids.

4th day Again ( 11pm)

I can see a little of my original double eyelid crease now at my left eye as the swelling subsiding. But I can feel very tight pulling at the eyelid skin at the same time. And there's a very obvious stretch line across my left eyelid as show in the picture.

I am worrying is it too much skin removed? Will it cause my eyelids could not completely close later on? Is the stretch line permanrnt? it looks horrible. So nervous.

5th Day After Revision Surgery

The swelling at my left eye subsides faster than my right eye. I feel pulling of the eyelids skin.

I can see uneven skin texture like bulging at my eyelids especially at the suture. Is it due to swelling?

5th Day After Revision Surgery

6th day (morning) After Revision Surgery

Photos

7th Day

I feel the very tight pulling at my left eyelid. Swelling is getting lesser.

I will go to remove the stitches tomorrow. Will keep update my status.

The only concern for me now is the scars and the pulling at my left eyelid.

Will it turn out could not completely close after fully healed?

8th Day

10th Day

11th Day

I used hot compress these 2 days and the swelling gone down better. But my right eyelid still have the numbness.

My left eyelid has the very visible line across the lid. I am concern that line will become permanent after the swelling fully dissipate.

I feel the eyelids still very tight and I need to close my eyes with hard force for completely close when I sleep.

Big scar at the knot point

Worry if the big scar turn to keloid

34 days post-op after revision surgery

Hi. I am updating my recovery condition. I am happy with recovery and the result so far. But I am concern about the pulling line at my left eyelid as you can see from my photo. And another thing is that my right eyelid still look a little hooded compare to my left eyelid. I like my left eyelid more.

I still have more swelling AT&T right eyelid. I can feel bump at my right eyelid when I touch it and it feel pain. I am applying scar gel 1-3 times a day. What else can I do to expedite the healing of the swelling as well as to get rid of the visible scar especially the redness that is very obvious and weird.

When can I do the brow tattoo? Anyone can tell?

34 days post-op after revision surgery

More photos

Photo after 6 months

Dr. Hu

Very bad experience in the life time

Hi Annabelle, thanks for your reply. I can see that you did have some improvements and it is very good! Regarding the swelling, I just saw your last picture and I think it looks totally normal, you look good by the way. You have in fact encouraged me to do my brow lift. I want to have direct brow lift but was very scared of the scar, but yours have healed very well. I am planning to do my surgery in Thailand, but it is not confirmed yet. If I really do it, I`ll share my pictures with you. Take care!
thanks Hehua for the compliment. Good luck to you.
Hi Anabelle, how are you feeling now? Are you happier? Did you have your brows tattooed? Tks for the information provided.
Hi Hehua, I am fine now. I have not get my brow tattooed yet. Have yet decide which salon to go to. My eyelids did not turn out to what I was expected- more lifted and the inner crease to show more. However, they are not that hooded as before. They are no longer sitting on top of my lashes. So, when I apply my mascara or eyeliner , they did not smudge. This is the happy part of me so far. But the swelling is still there, just not that obvious. Is this normal?
Hi Anabelle, I wonder how are you now, are you happier with your decision? have you had your brows tattooed? Tks for the information provided. Hope all is well with you.
Annabel thanks for your most recent pics. I know it's been a long road for you but your after photos look like a great improvement on the before pics. Sometimes I think it doesn't look that way to you because you are used to seeing the you that was before whereas others see the improvement better. Well done with your perseverance.
Tks Anabelle. Me too, had very bad ps experiences in Seoul that costs me so much of money with no results but pain, time wasted and pain again. It's good that we shred all facts with others so they know that PS is not really SAFE, with fantastic results like celebs.
Thanks for the compliment. So, how is your surgery result now?
Great Review Annabelle0116! It is just awful how these "drs" suck you in with false promises and take your money and then mess you up. They never seem to be held accountable. The ASPSs should stop this. They also tell you you will be able to do everything in 2-3 weeks. Then there is a complication and well give it some time. It will settle down in a few months bla bla bla... Plastic Surgeons are the used car salesmen of the medical profession except for a few who will give you the straight risks and will be realistic. Most want to make the sale. I hope you feel better. Please go see an occuloplastic surgeon. I had a really good occuloplastic Dr. who also teaches at a medical school give me much help from what a board cert PS did to disfigure me. Do not let anyone near your eyes unless (s)he is an experienced occuloplastics that has integrity..... hard to find I know.
Thanks
Oh Merry Christmas!
Hi 1953, Merry Xmas to you too. Thanks for sharing your experience. I really feel you. I also want my original brow and look back. My husband has sounded me for my stupid decision to go under the knife when he is not complaining my original look. I really hope my eyes will look better and natural in times.
Does anyone knows how to relieve the side effects of a fat transfer? My face is swollen. It tingles and feels warm. It happens in flashes. Should I massage it? Is there a certain moisturizer I should use. I'm using Clarins. It's very expensive but helps with the tightness. I don't know why he did the fat transfer. He took the fat out of my stomach. He looked like a mad man. They had to stitch up the holes from the needles.
I continue to be very unhealthy . I continue to gain weight. If I just sit still the pressure is better. My bore lift was over 4 months a go. If I bend over it's much worse. It has ruined my life. I try to ignore it but I pay for it with pain if I'm not careful. Yesterday after I went to have my hair done I went to the store. Someone asked me if I was crying. That's just crazy. I wasn't crying at all. I wasn't sad. I was exhausted. Having my hair done and going to the store was over doing it!!! 4 months and I still can't do my regular activities!!! Brow lifts should be outlawed. Tell everyone you know to never have one. It to big of a risk! Everyday I pray to have my old life back!

I love all the detail you are providing in your review.  I hope your swelling goes down soon so you can get a better idea of your results.  Are you using arnica cream or doing cold compresses or anything?

Thanks. No. I did not dare to touch my eyelids. My swelling is going down slowly now. I can see my original eyelid crease is showing at my left eye now. But I feel a very tight pulling of the eyelid skin as the swelling subsiding. I am worry is it too much skin removed?
My surgeon advices me to not do anything to the suture until he removes the stitches after 7 days. He asked me to use scar gel 3 days after removing the stitches.

Oh gotcha.  Hopefully the pulling sensation has to do with the swelling and will go away.

Should I use arnica cream now? What is the purpose? I thought cold compress is to relief pain? I am not feeling very serious pain actually.

It is a homeopathic gel or cream and helps break down bruises and decrease swelling.  You can also take a pill form to help with healing and swelling.  I took arnica and bromelain (also helps with swelling) for two weeks pre-op and two weeks post-op and I think they helped a lot with swelling.  I also used arnica gel topically.  But I didn't have incision lines, mine was transconjunctive/done inside the eyelid.

Cold compresses also help with swelling, although probably more for pain management.

Thanks so much for the info. I will go to get them from pharmacy tomorrow.
* Tense
My eyelids feel very themes now. Is it a normal healing process?
It's very scary having your eyes operated on. I did too. But thankfully they heal very well so your suture lines should become almost invisible. So long as you protect your eyes from the sun. All the best. :-)