Lux 1540 Fractional Laser

Just got my first Lux 1540 laser treatment last...

Just got my first Lux 1540 laser treatment last Saturday at my doctor's office. The procedure was painful despite the use of numbing cream and sedative but at least it was done pretty fast, 25 min (one pass) for the entire face and after that I was given an ice pack and 30 min of Omnilux Light Therapy to help reduce the redness and pain.

My face was in pain and very red like a very bad sunburn. The following day (Sunday) the skin was still very warm and red and today (Monday) the skin is totally cooled down and not as red.

I'm going back to my doctor for follow up this Saturday but overall it's not too bad, at least I didn't get red bumps or small pimples. I guess the most important thing is the number of passes and the intensity level that's being used. My doctor set the intensity level at the lowest to start with and just 1 pass because it was quite painful for me to bear.

I might not get great result on the first treatment but at least it didn't ruin my face. Have to wait and see how effective this procedure is in a few weeks time but so far my recovery has been very satisfactory.

The treatment does help to minimize the pores a bit but I was told that I will need 3 consecutive treatments, once a month to see good result. I did not get a "waffle" or any pattern on my face. The important thing is use an ice pack immediately after the treatment for as long as you can. I iced my face for an hour several times a day and the redness subsided within 2 days. I got it done at: Skinmed Laser Clinic 9019 Bayview Avenue, Unit 5-6 Richmond Hill, Ontario
Hi MBunny, I went to the same place for a consultation and they suggested I do 4 treatments for my depressed acne scars and rolling skin texture. Would you recommend Lux 1540 after your experience for these kinds of scars? It's been four years after your initial treatment so I really appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
Additionally, did the doctor put you on any pre-treatment before the laser treatment? Thanks.
Hi silverspoon1 I didn't get any pre- treatment except for numbing cream and Valium if this is what you are asking about.
Hi silverspoon1 I got this treatment for enlarged pores so for that it does help to shrink it down. I don't know about how effective it is for acne scar as I don't have that problem but one thing for sure is the treatment is not comfortable and the face will be lobster red for about 3 days but if you keep icing your face a few times a day it will help to reduce the redness tremendously. Hope this help :)
Hi Mbunny, Thanks for the response. If you don't mind me asking, what ethnicity are you?
I'm Chinese
So am I, so it's good to hear that this treatment works for Chinese people :) Did they ever put you on a pretreatment regimen with topicals like Hydroquinone and Retin-A/Differin? I went for a consultation with Skin Med and they didn't mention anything like this, but another place I got a consultation from suggested a pretreatment regimen for 1 month prior.
Hi mbunny, How did you find the treatments? Were they effective? Did you get a "waffle" pattern on your face where you were treated? I'm looking to get this treatment at the same place where you went.
Hi Timmothy,

I've enlarged pores and it had been that way since I was a teen. So far I had 2 treatments, the result is slowly improving but I spaced the treatment several months apart so it's not as good as people who is doing it consistently every month for 3 treatments. I find the treatment quite painful that's why I waited so long in between but I was told that this treatment is still quite mild compare to Fraxel Restore. However the best part is the down time is not long. On my second treatment, I stayed at the clinic for 2 hours with an ice pack on my face then had a 30 min of Omnilux Light Therapy when I leave the clinic my face is red but doesn't look too bad and when I got home I ice my face for another 5 - 6 hours and the next morning my face is totally back to normal, no red at all. Hope that helps.
HI Mbunny,

Do you mind if I ask what skin problem were you trying to treat? How many treatments did you go through, how is the result?

Thank you!
Mbunny thanks so much for the info, I will check them out for sure
Hi Chikiss, This is the clinic I went to and ask for Dr. Tang coz there are 2 doctors there, also the price I got was during promotion and it's a package price therefore you may not get the same price now but it's worthwhile to check it out since they have free consultation. Skinmed Laser Clinic 9019 Bayview Avenue, Unit 6 Richmond Hill, Ontario Tel: (905) 886 1110
Hi Mbunny. I wanted to ask which doctor you went to, I am from toronto as well and the price you payed sounds amazing! i would really appreciate if you could let me know!! thanks so much

My number one problem with my skin is enlarged pores and I've try other laser before and didn't do much. I got it done in Toronto at a doctor's office. The person that's actually working the Lux 1540 it's the technician but the doctor was there to examine you, answer all your questions before the procedure. I had no side effects whatsoever but result is not immediate and you've to be realistic with the expectation. That's what I like about this clinic because the doctor is very professional and he will tell you if it is worth it for you to try any procedures. Check out the website and they have free consulation too. Good luck

Edited by Sharon: Please share links to third-party websites via private contact only. You can send private messages to other RealSelf members by clicking their username and then clicking the email icon.
Hi. I' wondering where you got this procedure done?
Thank You Soooo Much for sharing!!! I've been trying to get unbiased Reviews of the Lux 1540 and you're the first!!! Please keep us posted in regards to your results! I think I'm going to go ahead and get a few of these done. I am looking for textural improvements in my skin. What are you hoping for?