Looking Forward to New Beginnings and a Healthier Life - Louisville, KY

I have been reading up on weight loss surgery for...

I have been reading up on weight loss surgery for eight years and i decided that the sleeve was best for me. i am only 47 years old and my health just keeps getting worse and when my grandson came into my life it was the happiest that i have been in years and i new right then that i had to get healthy for him and myself so i can make a long life of memories with my grandson and others to come. I feel like i have been blessed with another chance at a happy and healthy life.

I am having the VSG on Feb 26th and i would be so...

I am having the VSG on Feb 26th and i would be so grateful for any advice and support form any one who has been through this already, I am so excited but nervous at the same time.

Dr. Jeff Allen

He was refereed to me by my family doctor because he is well known to be the best in Kentucky.

Hi Twana,

Just popping on to see how you are? Would love an update and to find out how you're progressing!

hi Twana.. i am also getting the sleeve gastrectomy.. i have my pre-op on the 12th of March.. im excited and yet so nervous.. i am so glad you and others are posting about their surgeries and results.. i wish you all the best and thank you again for sharing.. i cant wait to see updates.. : )

Hi there,

How did your surgery go? I hope you're doing well and recovering nicely. It would be great to hear from you, whenever you're able to!

My surgery was a success and i am doing fine than you for asking and it is so good to hear from you.

Awesome, I'm so glad!

Whenever you feel up to it, it would be great if you could update your review and let us know how your experience was with regards to surgery, etc.

Happy healing!

Twana, You should reconsider your choice of surgeon. Dr. Allen has spoken publicly at his seminars that he is not in favor of the sleeve gastrectomy and plans to not do them. I know that he hasn't done that many and has only very recently started. Dr. Oldham at Baptist Hospital has been doing sleeve gastrectomy the longest in the area. There are other doctors that Norton that still have a lot more experience than Dr. Allen. Dr. Allen is known mainly for lap band.
Thank you so much for you information on Dr. Allen but i have talked to him about the sleeve and he told me him self that he had only done a hand full and i already new he mostly done Gastric bypass and he is well known for the Band but i know he is a wonderful doctor and he was great with me. He never tried to change my mind at all, I told him i wanted the sleeve and that was that but i really do thank you for your concern and i would highly recommend Dr. Allen.

Dr. Allen is definitely the expert on the banding but I know Dr. Oldham personally as a nurse practitioner and he may not be as well known as Dr. Allen but he is every bit as skilled and very professional and personable. I highly recommend him for the sleeve in fact I am in process with him for the same procedure! Best wishes in your choice they are both fine surgeons!

Twanna i hope you do great iam going to get my sleeve surgery in March i hope i would like to keep in touch.
Winny it has been three days now and i am do really good i had my surgery 8:30 Tuesday morning and i got to come home Thursday after noon, i know how nervous you must be but you will do fine, the first day is the hardest and it just keeps getting easier after that. The only thing i can really tell you is to try to stay calm and remember why you choose this, once you get past the first couple of days you will feel so much better and you will know the changes right away, the food smells different and your taste is so much more intensified, please let me know when you get your surgery date and i wish you well and will keep you in my prayers. Please lets stay in touch.
I will i go on the 14 of march and i will find out then what day. I am very nerveous but i know that its going to help me so much.
Hope your doing great, i got my surgery date April15... excited begin new healthy life...I'm haven in Plano Texas.... start my two week diet. Monday...
I'm getting mine a day after you, the 27th. We could be on the journey together. I as well am excited but very nervous. Are you starting you pre-op diet Tuesday? And if so what are you planning on eating for the week before surgery?
Hi i hope you are doing fine after your surgery please keep in touch with me and let me know how you are doing i would love to go through this journey with you it is so great to talk to someone who knows and understands exactly what your feeling and going through. I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to hearing from you i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi Twana,

Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. Wow, your surgery will be here before you know it. Are you doing the pre-op diet at the moment, or are you not at that stage yet?

It might be a good idea to read through the other Gastric Sleeve reviews we have on RealSelf. Don't be afraid to leave a comment, or send a private message (PM) to other members. They're all very willing to help!

We also have a Weight Loss Surgery page, with lots of helpful guides and information on it. Just click on the links to get to the relevant pages.

Good luck with your surgery and please do keep us updated with your progress!