I Want to Remove my Chin Implant 6wks Post-op but and Terrifed of Possible Complications.

I had rhineoplasty to remove bump in nose and make...

I had rhineoplasty to remove bump in nose and make it smaller. Chin augmentation was suggested by my doctor to further improve my profile (which it did).

I had surgery about 2.5 weeks ago. I love my nose, I like my profile, but I HATE my chin from the frontal view. I feel that it makes me look masculine. It deepened the labiomental fold/crease which I particularly don't like and when I turn partially to the side it has a roundness to it I do not like. Also, I feel that it has made the natural unevenness in my chin more noticeable (the right left appears a bit longer/bulkier that the right). My family says I look great and my friends can't even tell I have had work done but it is personal and I don't like it.

I was so upset about this last night. I know it still has some swelling but in my gut I just don't think it will change enough for me to accept it. I called my surgeons office and spoke with the nurse this morning (I do not live in the same city, 5hr drive). I told her I think I want it removed and she said they generally wait 6 wks post-op before any revisions/removals. She said this is to makes sure I want it removed and also the best thing to do surgically.

Now I am terrifed of complications of removing the implant. I don't want it replaced with a smaller one because I want this to be my final surgery (hopefully) and don't want to end up not liking an even smaller one as well and traumatizing the area even more with more surgery to remove that one. The nurse said that I really should not be overly anxious about complications. My implant is small, silastic and secured with sutures, and was placed through external incision under my chin. I'm 26 yrs old and in good shape. I'm so worried about skin/muscle stretching and also problems with scar tissue but she said that she does not think I should be overly concerned given my age, the timing, and type of implant.

I think my surgeon did a great job. I just don't like the outcome for my face from the front and want the chin out, regardless of what it is doing for my profile.

My question is how worried should I be about my chin not returning to normal after removal of this implant? I'm a dentist so I very well know that there are always risks/concerns with surgical procedures and that patients should be informed of even the worse case scenario. I just want to know, given my stats and details, if I should be obsessing and crying over this because that is exactly what I am doing. I just want my old chin back. Do you think that it will return to normal after removal?

I think my surgeon was great, I just personally don't like how my new chin looks. He did very well and is skilled. The things that I don't like I do not think are his fault.

Hi I need help.. I had a chin implant 2 years ago, I want to remove it it's been over 2 years and still don't like it, I look older and the frontal and one side looks biger..I've always want it to take out but I wait and wait and still not happy so if do take out will to some one tell me if I will have disfigurement or not.. Please help me thanks
Hi Marisha,
This is my perspective most cases that I've read about on-line seem to have no problems, with chin implant removal, but of course this wouldn't be consider empirical data. I think small implants caused the least amount of stretch to the chin area and that is what I had and I had it in only for seven months. All I can say is that the removal process was easy and I'm thrilled with the results having a smaller chin definately makes you look younger. . Just find a skilled surgeon that is highly skilled and has fine tuned his skills over time and if you run into problems they can address it.
I had my chin implant taken out and I love the results. I look younger and it looks better on my particular face structure, I just highlighted my chin to make it appear slightly larger . When the implant was removed easily no bruising at all, no disfigurement and barely a scar I put castor oil and aloe vera gel on it it will disappear soon. My doctor was amazing he is an artist! I disliked my chin but I love my rhinoplasty it is so perfect and my new look is great.

Question:I want to remove my chin implant 6 weeks post-op but terrified of possible complications.

Answer: In most cases, removing a chin implant is very easy and can be performed in a matter of minutes with use of a local anesthesia. There should be no associated deformity or any significant complications following removal of the chin implant.

I've gone through a lot with chin implants myself, and done a lot of research into the subject. I think in your case, since its a small implant and has only been in place for a matter of weeks, that you will not suffer any cosmetic disfigurement by removal. You may only notice the skin is not quite as tight over your chin as it was before, or not even this, but it shouldn't be anything you think twice about. If it were a much larger implant (8-10mm projection) and had been in place for months or years, then I think you should be mindful of the risk of cosmetic disfigurement and consider having the implant replaced with a smaller one. Because a degree of skin and underlying tissue stretching will have taken place, you may find you have a 'tad' more projection than you did before and be quite happy with that as an unexpected bonus. Its too early for any serious scar capsule to have formed which can produce the 'balling' disfigurement or deep furrowing that probably concerns you. Don't worry, I really think you're gonna be quite ok. They make you wait the six weeks to be absolutely sure that removal is what you want - all swelling to go, pain and weird feeling - but there's no compelling medical reason to wait that long.
Hi Sera,

I wanted to ask did you have a chin implant removed and the bump you mentioned is scar tissue formed on your chin from the chin implant right? I don't think I mind a scar tissue at all but I hate my chin implant I especially hate the frontal .... I have a small implant and it has been 7 months I hate the frontal view I think it really makes me look older and like I gained weight on my face! Anyhow my plastic surgeon who is fantastic is going to remove it in Nov. I can't wait.
UPDATE: I had my chin implant out yesterday. I cannot tell you how happy I am. My mom even admits that now that she sees the difference, I look better. It still is a little swollen but I can tell my chin is back to normal. No stretching, nerve damage, etc. My implant was 5mm. I'm going back next week to get the stitches out. The removal process was a little difficult. Lots of tugging and aching. But it was bearable and worth it. I would recommend that unless pts are in dire need of a chin, that they undergo the rhinoplasty by itself first before deciding if they want the chin.
That's EXACTLY how I feel right now..but it's being 10 months already, and I'm finally deciding to do something about it..now I'm also afraid of what will happen to the skin and everything. Or perhaps putting a smaller implant instead. How was your chin before the implant, small or normal?
Hi! Before the implant my chin was slightly retruded, but normal in size and shape. It does have a slight roundness in the front. I had a convex profile but very minimal. Not to the point were surgery would even be considered. I am so much more happy with my profile after I had the implant out. It is still slightly convex but just having a better shape to my nose has made all the difference. I don't think anyone but a plastic surgeon or dentist would notice that I have a slightly retruded chin. You have had your implant alot longer than me, and depending on size, I don't know if removing it would cause problems. You can't even tell I ever had one. The scar is hardly even visible anymore.
If you have trust in your surgeon then wait the time he recommends
I'm actually having it out tomorrow. I was very worried about complications such as skin stretching but he said that I should not have any of those problems. I certainly hope he is right. I can't wait to have my old chin back even if it is slightly retruded. I have been looking at old pictures and missing it!