Tip of my Nose Looks Bigger, Lost Its Shape, and Moves Around After Septoplasty - Los Angeles, CA

I had septoplasty done exactly one year ago in Los...

I had septoplasty done exactly one year ago in Los Angeles by an ENT at Good Samaritan Hospital which was fully covered by my PPO. My doctor throughly explained the surgery and ASSURED me the appearance of my nose would NOT change. I had a deviated septum and often found it hard to breath out of my nose. My deviation was on both sides, but more significantly on my left side. My nose looked normal and I liked it for the most part, no form of rhinoplasty was done on my nose, or so I have been told.

Two weeks after my surgery, I noticed that my nose looked a bit shorter and that my nostrils looked bigger. I could also see the hairs in my nostrils which never in my life could I see them before. The biggest difference was when I smiled. My nose looked bigger and the definition on my tip was completely gone, it looks like a blob of a tip. My face no longer looked relaxed, it almost looked like I was scrunching. I told my doctor during a follow up and she was satisfied with the results and said she didn't feel it looked swollen, I figured it was though.

It still looks the same. A few weeks later when I touched my nose, I could feel the tip move around, it pops a bit if I just move it lightly with my finger. It doesn't hurt at first, but sometimes the tip can feel bruised. I find it interesting that my tip moves around and looks different. I went to see my doctor again, I told her about my concerns and she just said that my nose looked exactly the same. Of course she was going to say that, she never took before pictures because my nose wasn't supposed to look any different. She said it wasn't normal that something would be moving around and didn't even touch my nose to feel the popping.

I felt crazy, but months built up and I had now become ashamed of my nose and taking photos. I finally wrote my doctor a detailed letter along with including several before and after photos. She met with me and admitted that from looking at the photos, my nose DOES look different but she honestly didn't know why it would look different. She explained the entire procedure and the only conclusion she came up with was that maybe the cartilage that shapes my nostrils pulled a bit and healed that way... If that makes any sense at all? It still doesn't explain why something is moving around. Again she did not touch my nose to see feel the popping and moving around of the tip... She looked up my nose with a camera, but didn't personally touch it with her hands, only her tools.

She said that if I were to get it fixed, I should find a good doctor who specializes in working on tips. I was shocked when she said this and because she is my doctor and I trusted her, I felt vulnerable and just said okay. Shouldn't she be the one to fix it? Shouldn't she pay for it? I've never felt so ugly and can't afford rhinoplasty or a lawyer. Can my insurance do anything? I think I'll try to report it. I really just don't know what to do or what the problem is. My doctor is board certified, went to a great school, is really nice and explains everything, so I hate to put her down, but this should have never happened and I am disappointed she doesn't know what she did wrong and just sent me home without ever checking up.

Any suggestions would be invaluable to me. I am going to seek a second opinion, but is there a way to see my nose in an x-ray to see if there is something loose in my nose? Should I go to another ENT or a plastic surgeon for an opinion?

If anyone has had the same experience or similar, I would love to hear what you did or your theories. Although the deviation was fixed and I am breathing well, I feel like I lost part of my identity and ethnic characteristic. I used to call my nose my little button nose, I never considered it to be big.. Now I have a bigger nose. It's just so confusing.

Thank you!

(I do not want to publicly write her name, but if you'd like to inquire more about her, please send me a private message.) My doctor really seems lovely. She is very educated and seems to care for the most part. She was attentive when I woke up from surgery and doesn't rush during appointments. But obviously, my problem is that she said the appearance wouldn't change and it did change and she can't explain why. She reception staff is very unpleasant, but she is completely opposite.