Getting Porcelain Veneers Has Made Me Scared of Going to Dentists Forever. Worst Decision I've Ever Made - Los Angeles, CA

First of all, I regret having my veneers done...

First of all, I regret having my veneers done every day after I had the procedure (had them done in 2008). Second, my experience made me extremely frightened in going to any dentists for check-ups (I never had any problems with dentists before and was very comfortable with dental visits, too comfortable that I could actually fall asleep on the dentist bed), I believe it's a different story for others, but I'm very sure if I could decide again, I wish I never had veneers done, PERIOD.

I still regret my decision to this date of my life. Why? I simply don't like the look of how these fake teeth look on me because they are long, bulky, protruding outwards, all these just because it fits the "beautiful smile standards" however it's just NOT ME. Bigger teeth, wider smile just aren't good for me (I'm an asian female), I look really ugly with long and bulky teeth. I used to have smaller teeth, come to think of it, I really miss my old teeth, actually everyone looks the best with what their parents give them. NOW I fully understand it, because my small teeth do fit really well with my thin lips.

Well I cannot speak for everybody, because some people really do have serious cosmetic problems with their teeth and they feel happy after they have veneers done. BUT if your teeth are not that bad, you should really consider all the consequences of getting porcelain veneers (high maintenance costs in future, the extreme PAIN during the first surgery, and the PAIN that you will experience when you need to change your veneers in future, PLUS the fact that your natural teeth will get chipped down to a point where you need to have veneers ALL YOUR LIFE, not to mention about infections/other medical problems that might appear after you have veneers done).

I REALLY regret having my natural teeth chipped, it's not good to chip down your teeth when your teeth aren't really having any medical problems. I would like to find a dentist who actually LISTENS to a patient's concerns, not just some money-sucking monster who just cares about his own aesthetics and does anything based on his knowledge/expertise in cosmetic dentistry. I know the technical skill is very important, but listening to your customers is the most important , and it's an art to combine your knowledge to match what your client wants. The feelings I got from this dentist is that he ONLY cares about the money, constantly persuaded me to get more teeth done (I had TEN DONE for god's sake), more different procedures done given the fact that I was just a fresh grad and I had to take a dental loan for the expenses.

I know I was responsible for this decision, but to me, his indifference on my feelings, my physical pain during the procedures, actually made me really scared of going to dentists now, because he wasn't gentle at all, he was very, very harsh on my gums, and was extremely impatient in the whole procedure because he sensed that I didn't feel satisfied. If I were the dentist, I would treat my customers as at least like a human being. I'm really sick of doctors or dentists who just care about money, I paid around 12000 to be treated like this!! And I'm not even satisfied with his attitude nor my veneers, and to this date I'm still paying my loan unhappily.

Because of a new job I moved to another country right after I got my veneers (BAD IDEA, NEVER MAKE A DECISION THIS RUSH). I wanted to be a new me before I started out a new path/chapter of my life, so I decided it was time for me to do something to my teeth, because I was never really proud of how my teeth looked. This relocation didn't leave me enough time to get them fixed or discuss my concerns with the dentist. However, I did tell him I think they were too long, and bulky right after the procedure, as they looked hella different from the temporaries that I had before!!! He insisted they look perfect, but I thought, wouldn't a responsible dentist care about his/her patients' concerns more than anything? I don't care how much you loved your art, but I didn't like them at all. He said I will get used to the new "me", and sent me home. I trusted him, figured maybe I should give it 1-2 days.

When I got home I got really depressed and unhappy about the results, I kept thinking why I had to endure all this pain, spent all the money to get something that I actually hate and feel depressed about!!! I gave him a call and we had a talk, he was already very impatient. At that time I had to leave LA for a week for a training on the new job in NY, THEN will fly to another country for the job. He told me he will "take care of things" if I still don't like them after the NY trip, (later I realized that he KNEW i would have no time and he didn't even bother to spare one more second with me). I said ok, because there was really nothing I could do, then I left for NY the following Monday which was 2 days later. I knew I wouldn't have enough time before I headed to another country, so I tried to find a cosmetic dentist in that country on the internet, found one. After I landed, I just went to the new dentist, had him chipped the teeth, got rid of some bulkiness, it got better, but I still couldn't really close my mouth completely because the teeth are somehow "protruding outwards", to this date, I still feel the veneers on one side (I used to have a "vampire" tooth on the left), I thought I would get used to them but no, I still haven't! Which means they don't really fit my mouth, I think I looked horrible and was very conscious about my new "look".

After the trip to the new dentist, I felt a lot better, at least he DID listen, and he made them look more "natural"! However, he didn't manage to do too much "chipping" because he said it would damage the veneers and that they might crack at the end. I was concerned too so I just let my teeth be this way until now. I'm wondering if it's possible to still have them chipped down for a little bit? Can you actually tell how small my original teeth were by having an x-ray? Is it safe to chip down more? Because I know my original teeth were nowhere this long and big, so I wonder if it's ok to chip the teeth down or thinner? Is it necessary to have to redo every veneer to achieve a similar look to what I had before?! Is there actually any dentist who can try to do something that I WANT? I'm trying to get the old photos/documents from the dentist in LA, so I will have a clearer picture of what I had before. And is it necessary to ask for the cast/model of my original teeth contruction? Do they keep things like that? Or they have soft-copy in their computer? I didn't know what I wanted exactly, but now I know what I want, I just want to know if I need to spend a fortune to have the veneers redone? Or it's ok to just make some minor fixes to them? PLEASE, give me some honest feedback, thanks!!!!!!!

Hello, I am well an Asian female. I recently did my veneers a few weeks ago. I hateeeee them. First of all they were expensive so I only did my 2 front teet. I ve had braces before and they looked so beautiful even thought 1front teeth had a minor chip on it. So minor that no one would notice when I smile. It bothers me since I ever got it so I got veneers. You are right they are bulky, too front, and more yellow than the rest. Now all my friends notice this difference. I've been calling everywhere to have a lighter shade of teeth and to move them back. But that means I have to redo them and pay 1800 again. :(

I'm sorry to hear that! Scary! I hope that mine will turn out great when I'm financially ready for new front teeth.
Who was your dentist in LA, original poster?
Hi there,

It's really sad to hear your story. I totally understand how bad it is to have a non-professional dentist taking care of your teeth. In fact I had the similar experience like yours. I was never satisfied with my teeth because there were some small gaps between them due to gum recession. I asked my dentist to do something about it and she suggested I should have composting. You know what, I wish I had never listed to her suggestion. After the composting, my front teeth (are they 8 & 9?) looks just like a rabbit. The shape of my front teeth were altered and the surface was scratched. I almost cried immediately when I looked at the mirror... I don't have to tell you how depressed I was because of that. Since I am an Asian too, my old front teeth were small but looked balanced, but now they are just bulky and ugly.

I then asked my sister in law for help because she is a certified dentist too from Loma Linda & get her special training from USC. But just because she is a full time mom now, I didn't ask her opinion at first (so regret). Anyway, she then referred me on implant professional, who is also a professor in Loma Linda dental school for veneer. I just had my first appoint with that Dr. and I was so glad to know him. First of all, I thought I should have at least 6~8 veneer to achieve the best result, at least I found that after researching and my sis-in-law told me the same thing. However, after listening my complaints and examining the condition of my teeth, he said I only need to have veneer for the two front teeth. That's it!

I really can't believe it but he said the current trend for cosmetic dental is to keep your teeth look natural in size and color. No any really human have the same color on their teeth. In another words, the canine teeth are always yellower than other teeth. If he put veneer on both canine, it'll look fake. Also, he said the teeth next to the front ones (sorry I forgot the #) is always smaller than the front and canine. The old fashion way is to make every single tooth big and bright.. and that means fake in the contemporary cosmetic dental. I think he is right. He spend almost an hours to me explaining what he plan to do with my veneer. He also suggested me to have at least one provisional crown done before he put the real one on (of course I'll need to pay for it). And it took me 3 hours just for the first visit. : )

I am so glad I finally found a good doctor and he is so professional and patient. However, the only problem is he is too busy (he's also lecturing in UCLA and do lots of lecturing worldwide). And one more thing.... he is not cheap. : )

But I think it's worthy because I don't want to waste more time and money on those unprofessional dentists and ends up spending more (with a broken heart).

The first visit from Loma Linda cost me $188 with couple of X-rays, molding and tons of pictures. He asked me to show different smile and laugh and took lot of pics from different angles to ensure the veneer will look natural from all angles.

I hope you can find a good Dr. as well. If you need, I can tell you my Dr. name and maybe he can help you too.

Good luck!

Hi, applepie123, thanks for your post! I also live in Los Angeles and am looking for a specialist that would preserve the natural teeth and work on veneers where truly needed -- it would be wonderful if you could share your doctor information -- my email is ki*********@********.com.

Thank you again!

Hi, Dr Alexie Aguile at Exquisite Dentistry off Wilshire Blvd did an amazing job on my Veneers a few months ago! Im 19&& i had composites on my teeth since I was 14 because as a child i have calcium buildup on my teeth from my mothers breastmilk and it tore down my teeth :/ Anyway, they are not bulky and match my bottom teeth perfectly!! I have the top 6 done and i get compliments all the time! I can email u photos of my teeth if youd like! Try him!
Poor you I am sorry for you but not suprised. Dentists have and are still doing so much damage to society .The problem is that they own a license to steal the sky is the limit, they can do anything and rip you off without any consequences they are untouchable I paid the price to learn that trust me .I hope your ugly veneers are placed correctly otherwise you'll end up with bad breath an other very common side effect of veneers. Next time you go see a dentist never forget that he doesn't work for you but he works for himself and his bank account ONLY
Hi there,

Good luck!
Hi There! I was hoping you could tell me what the name of your wonderful doctor is. I have been putting off my veneer treatment for years now because I feel like I haven't been able to find a doctor that I truly trust. This is a permanent choice and there is no going back so I want to be 100% sure before I do it. Thanks so much in advance!!
Thanks for your feedback Megan. I'll try my best to speak to my dentist about the records... Other than this I really don't know what to do about it. I'm still very upset about the fact that I had a total of ten natural teeth being filed down after he persuaded me to get more done, I'm glad I didn't listen otherwise my whole upper teeth would hv been replaced. He's crazy. Maybe I really should disclose his name so people can avoid this dentist when they consider having veneers done.

One question, if i go to other cosmetic dentists in future, can they actually find out how much my natural teeth were filed down by doing X-ray?

Second, is 7-years the standard or dentists are all required to keep a patients record for seven yrs by law?

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the way your teeth are. I believe dental records have to be kept for 7 years, so as long as it hasn't been past that the dentist in LA should be able to supply you with the information you need.

As for the amount your current veneers can be adjusted, I would guess there would be limitations, but it probably varies from person to person and I would assume would depend on what type of veneer was used and how much your natural tooth was prepped (reduced) before the veneer was placed.

The first step is finding a dentist you feel comfortable with. I would encourage you to research that out very thoroughly. There are many great dentists out there who truly want what is best for their patients. You can read through the reviews on here, talk to friends & family, go to consultations - then once you find a good dentist you guys together can make a plan for your teeth, but jumping from dentist to dentist will probably not have the best results in the long run.