Tri-luma Cream Combined with Use Clarisonic Facial Brush - Los Angeles, CA

I started to get melasma in my early 30's. at...

i started to get melasma in my early 30's. at first it was small patches of brown on my cheeks which weren't even that noticeable when i wore makeup so i wasn't that bothered by them. around the age of 35, i experimented with different kinds of birth control pills and very quickly, saw a dramatic increase in the spread of my melasma. i now had a brown patch over my upper lip and across my forehead in addition to the brown spots i'd had for years on my cheeks (which were now darker). i spent the next few years trying every topical treatment on the market (lotions, gels and creams) to absolutely no avail. i was hesitant to try any laser treatments because of the cost and because the results could be so vastly different from person to person. finally, i read about triluma. this cream is expensive ($200/tube and not covered by insurance) but it WORKED. within weeks, i could see a dramatic lightening of my brown patches. in fact, the only patches of brown which were still visible (although faint) were on my forehead and cheeks. i went to get a facial and the aesthetician told me about the clarisonic brush which was what she was using to cleanse my face. she said that the brush would remove all traces of dirt and makeup and allow better penetration of any treatment creams. most stores that sell this brush have a good return policy so i thought, if i didn't see a difference, i could just return it. the clarisonic brush is expensive, i think mine cost about $150 but what a difference i saw! within a month the stubborn spots on my cheeks and forehead were almost completely faded. i can go out in public without makeup! and i'm no longer embarrassed when my boyfriend sees me fresh out of the shower or in the morning when i've just woken up. i'm 42 years old now and constantly get compliments on my skin. i can't tell you what a difference these 2 products have made in my life!

now some things i learned along the way thru trial and error:
melasma is a condition which once you have it, the rest of your life will be spent controlling it. it never really goes away. there were times when i thought i'd removed it completely and then i went out into the sun and it came right back and then you'd have to start the treatment process all over again. now, i never leave my house without wearing sunblock (titanium dioxide or zinc oxide only), mineral face powder w/sunblock in it and a hat. even when i'm in my house, i wear sunblock and i never sit next to an open window. i never lay in the sun anymore. if i have to be in the sun, i'm the girl covered in sunblock, wearing a huge hat, sitting underneath an umbrella which is under shade. it seems like a lot and what i would do to be able to sit carefree in the sun again but i just don't. i hate that i sound so vain but really, it's about holding on to my self confidence and self esteem. there were a few years when i couldn't look anyone in the eye because of how badly i felt about myself and the condition of my skin.

even with all that i do, my melasma still reappears every few months (although much lighter) so i just get another prescription for my triluma and away it goes again. i live in california so it is definitely a challenge to try to stay out of the sun all the time so i just make sure i stay PROTECTED from the sun. all of this combined has made a huge difference for me. i did TONS of online research and spent a LOT of money on doctor visits and treatments trying to figure out how to get rid of my melasma. i hope that someone out there reading this will be helped by my experience.

I've had melasma for 8 years now and no matter what I do it just seems to be getting worse. I've had chemical peels lotions and potions. It just really gets me down . I've just bought a clarisinic brush so I'm gonna try and get the cream you advise. Fingers crossed this works for me. It's really diluting my self esteemed , makes me cry all the time

Hi sharp stuff- Sorry for such a late response but I only just now got your email...I'm writing back because I could sense from your tone how down this melasma has got you and it reminded of me when my melasma was at it's worst and how awful it made me feel...my self esteem took a huge blow and as a result so did my social life and dating life--i thought everybody was staring at my melasma!! It made me feel really self conscious and I just wanted to hide. In truth, most people don't even notice it but it still affects you and that's why it's so important to do something about it. I have olive skin so when I started researching lasers for melasma I mostly read nightmare stories and heard of awful results for women of olive skin tones. These days, a majority of doctors actually advise against that course of treatment for olive skinned patients. Like I've said before, I only really started to see results w/Triluma AND obsessive protection from the sun. It really sucks and it's not easy. I live in California so sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in this state that actually shuns the sun! Good luck to you and hopefully you'll have a happier story to post one day soon...
Awesome review

Hi I was wondering wether you was still on the birth control when you were using the cream or if you came off it altogether as I developed melasma this way but if I stop the birth control I break out in server acne so I can't win either way

Hi little kelly, wow--what a tricky situation you're in...I went off bc pills completely when I started to get melasma and have never gone back on them again. My doctor told me that not having the hormones from bc pills in my body would assist in the rapid fading of the melasma but I didn't get that result. I think that's only if you get melasma from pregnancy. My melasma stopped spreading only when I stopped going in the sun. Good luck to you in finding a solution. I've read some very interesting things online about how people were able to treat their skin problems w/organic apple cider vinegar. I never tried it for my melasma but maybe it will help w/your acne?
Hi My name is Olivia. Im from South Africa. When I read your story, I thought it was me you talking about. Mine started the same. Im the same age as you at present. Started using same product with same result. I was trying to search treatment to use to with my product and then saw your experience. I am going to try and purchase the clarisonic brush. Not sure if I will get it in South Africa. Tell me what is the name of the sunblock you using, you just mentioned that it must contain titanium dioxide or zincoxide. I am currently using Heliocare Advanced gel with photoimmuno protection. Thank you for sharing your experience.
ok so I also am using this cream, it is working great. I wear 100 sunblock however that leaves white then I put my powder over. I would like to know if you found a sunscreen and make up with a suncreen also in it. I live in Texas so as you can imaging I deal with this like you do. thanks so much. I am new to the board so if you can just email me, so i can make sure and get your reply
*sorry just had a surgery and on pain medicine...lol i just re-read my massage. I would also like the name brand of the sunscreen and powder you use. I had a chemical peel a year ago and it worked great. until 4 weeks later it came back 20 times worse the doctor just put me on a compounded cream that I am using w retin-a in it. It is making my skin peel, but burning in some areas. So I have a prescription for the triluma which I will get filled and start using it w the brush. I like yourself have been battling this for 8 years. I never use to wear makeup. now I look like a clown. Very frustrating! Your post was so helpful thanks again
no problem worried 6974... here you are: for facial sunblock i use SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50. i even use it in the house because i have a lot of windows and even with curtains, i've found that any amount of time in the sun without protection makes the patches on my skin darker. I never wore sunblock on my face before i had melasma so it took some time to get used to the feeling of having something on my face and then on top of that put on MORE makeup but this sunblock feels light and weightless and doesn't make me break out. because i don't like to have my face feel too overly "coated" i skip foundation and just use powder. i absolutely love the powder i use (Colorescience sunforgettable body mineral powder SPF 50) because it doesn't slide off my face on a hot day. i've even worn all this stuff on my face to the gym and it stayed put AND didn't make me break out so i'm sticking with both of these products. also, i don't know what it is about minerl powders but they really do seem to erase away any imperfections on your skin! it's difficult to find these products at your local department store but Dermstore.com has them and delivers for free within 2 days:-) these products aren't cheap but after everything i've spent trying to get rid of my melasma, i feel like they're worth it. and i know having my self confidence back sure as heck is. good luck to you and keep us all posted on your results! ps. you can find other products on the market that maybe aren't so pricey--you shoud def try them all (i did!) but these were the ones that worked best for me with out making me feel to "made up" or "cakey". at the end of the day, i think the most important thng is that they have zinc oxide or titanium dioxide in them. good luck!!
this has been so helpful ! thank you so much for sharing. I too have melasma. It took myn hubby and I 9 years to have my son. we went through so many fertility methods. i was 34 when i conceived him and during my pregnancy i noticed i began to get freckles . i am hispanic with dark hair and dark eyes. so frekles were kind of surprising but i didnt mind them . my dr. told me it wpould go away after i gave birth . 6 months later they were gone. well 2 years went by we decide to try again and have a another child ,we did fertility again but htis time we did IUI with injections. well during the process my sonn was 2 1/2 and was very active so may in 2009 i notice a dark patch on the upper part of my cheek it almost look like a bruise or smudge of dirt.i didnt mind because it was that dark and was covered up by makeup. i continued to be out in the sun wearing minimal sunscreen . year later it was darker so i mentioned it to my dr. he told me what is was and that the hormones from trying to have a baby increased my chances of it becoming darker and spreading . i am now 40 years old we stop all fertility meds 2 years agobut my melasma has spread. it is crawling down my cheeks tiny bit on bridge of nose and no im noticing a faint darkness betweem my eyuebrows. i totally understand how you say you lost your self esteem and confidence i too find it hard to look anyone directly in the eyes. i hate going to the gym or to thge pool because i cant wear makeup. i hardly ever wore make up unless we went out in the evening now i have it caked on or it feels that way. i feel like everyone is staring at me wondering what happened to my face. we have had to declines friends invitations to do trips together as they are all sun worshippers. i feel like i have to live as im a vampire which is not fair to my hubby or my 6 year old son. so im always then one with a hat on sitting under the umbrella in the shade too. i will definitely give the cream a try and buy a sonic brush. i will mention it to my dermatologist next week. i have spent so much money on fade creams and soaps did family home remedies too. i am afraid now to try any laser or fraxel because of peoples testimonies and i have the olive skin tone which says there is no improvement. thanks again.
i'm so glad to hear that you found my story comforting and that the improvements in the condition of my own skin have given you some hope. I also am hispanic with olive skin, dark hair and dark eyes. and my boyfriend's the biggest sun worshipper of all so i know exactly how you feel. You don't have to avoid sunlight completely or even forever--just protect yourself and you should be ok. i did SO much research both online and talking to different doctors and aestheticians. i was shocked to find that a lot of doctors always want to go straight to the lasers and i think it's a bad idea for women of olive skin tones. just check all the websites like this one and read the stories from women who have gone that route and regretted it! i aso found through research that mineral sunblocks (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) and face powders are actual blockers of the sun's damaging rays and i think this discovery made a huge difference. sunblock is now the first thing i put on after i wash my face--even if i'm indoors all day. i also now wear a hat any time i have to be outside or in my car. once i started doing this, my melasma took longer to reappear. good luck to you and please keep me posted on your results. would love to hear a happy story from you:-)
Thank you for responding back :) i know what you mean about appying sunscreen every day even in the house. i do it religously.i even use zinc oxicide the lifeguard sunblock too. i use the colored one because my sun thinks it cool ,he is 6, when we go to the pool. at first i was uncomfortable and embarassed what people would think , but now a try not to care because i am with my family and if i want to be outside with them this is what i have to do to protect my face from it spreading or getting darker. i hate wearing hats but now find myself accesorizing my hats with outfits ...lol! at the beach i have a big floppy hat and large sunglasses which my son tease me an ask if im trying to be a movie star beacause that what he sees in movies or tv. i am hoping this helps i did order the clarsonic today and will talk to my dr next week about the triluma. my aunt and mom also swear by the conschell ,mother of pearl bleaching creams and soaps which they ordered for me and i have been using them. maybe with the clarsonic i will see a better improvement too. i will keep you posted and take care too .:)
Thanks for sharing....Just be Careful with Triluma if you use it for long periods you will develop spider veins (little red ones) in the areas you are treating Good Luck :)
I've been using Tri-luma on and off (when necessary) for the last 3 yrs. I have not experienced these "spider veins". There is a little redness on the areas being treated but it's no different than when I used Retin A. and I'll take a little redness which can easily be covered with makeup over a big brown patch that can't be so easily covered ANY day.
be careful...do lots of research before using Tri-Luma. Scary side effects.
Tri-Luma has mercury and steroids plus hydroquinone. My cousin was diagnose with thyroids around the same time she started using Tri-luma. Please do your researched before applying any harsh compound into your skin. I also suffer from melasma on my upper lip and side cheeks/nose. I havent found the right treatment to treat it. For now just mineral make up and sunblock. And of course, stylish hats.

Thank you for sharing what you finally found to work for you. Good for you for protecting yourself from the sun. I have been super good about that lately but have an upcoming vacation to a tropical destination and am so tempted to do a little tanning before I go - reading your review helped me remember that the cons will outweigh the pros in the long run.

Please keep us updated if this regimen continues to work well, or if you need to tweak it over time.