Lumpy, Dented, Irregular Liposuction by Dr. Randal Haworth - Los Angeles, CA

Dr. Haworth left me with a lumpy, dented body...

Dr. Haworth left me with a lumpy, dented body after performing liposuction on me. I am in my 30s, with a BMI of 19. It has been a very long year of emotional distress/ covering up my body due to the very unfavorable results of his work (which I'm sure he is unaware of due to his complete lack of follow through). I'm finally ready for a revision and will not be going to him.

Lumpy, dented liposuction and deep double butt crease after liposuction by Dr. Randal Haworth

I finally got brave enough to post photos...

Since tomorrow I am having a revision, I took some pictures to document the hideousness of Haworth's work before the evidence is gone. This is what he charged me $19,000 to do. I hope that I will see an improvement but it's very doubtful that this will be able to be fully repaired. I'll never get back the two years that I've lost, or forget the mental anguish that I've suffered, and Haworth has never offered to give back even one cent of the money that I gave him to do this to me. Don't buy the lie, he is a TERRIBLE surgeon and an even worse human being.

5 days post op

Too soon to tell how things are looking, I'm wearing the compression garment and am swollen and bruised though the pain isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.The nurse who took care of me after surgery with Haworth told me that "he isn't known for being gentle" so I think that my surgeon's gentle touch has definitely made a difference in my pain level. I weigh TEN pounds more than I did the morning of the surgery so clearly I am retaining a ton of water. I had a nurse for the first 24 hours and now I've just been sleeping day and night. My doctor gave me a prescription for valium as well as pain killers so every time I wake up I take a few more pills and go back to sleep. It's all a fuzzy haze since the surgery which is fine by me. I'll check back in a few days. Bye for now.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

During the consultation phase he was very accomodating. I spent $19,000 for this procedure but after the first post op appt, I never heard from him again. I called in about a week later with surgery related complications and was passed off to another doctor to deal with; not a word from Randal Haworth. My follow up appt (by phone due to the fact that I live out of state) came and went without a call from him or his office, and they never explained, apologized, or rescheduled. I wouldn't go to him if he offered to do it for free. Just wanted to share my experience.

Another unhappy patient of Dr. Haworth's recently posted his photos on doctorscorecard and experienced almost exactly the same thing as I did with lovenlife. A so called "happy patient" showed up defending the doctor, questioning the validity of his claims and accusing everyone posting on the thread of being the same person. I don't know who they think they're fooling with this sort of behavior but it's just wrong. I also don't know why happy patients would actively seek out those who've had bad experiences in order to question their integrity and provide damage control for the doctor. I do know that false reviews are rampant online and that some people will stop at nothing to lure in new business and discredit their detractors. I believe Haworth has also invented a fictional crazy patient that is blamed for every negative review he has received. A few over the top posts about nanotechnology and mind control (see Yelp filtered) used as "proof". This allows him to get many bad reviews pulled and blame the "crazy patient" for all of the legitimate reviews from unhappy patients. For the record, even though I question lovenlife's (and other's) glowing reviews of Haworth, I have never gone on their threads to share my negative experience with him, nor have I seen another unhappy patient do so, despite our desire to prevent others from making the same mistake. I think that says something about our integrity. There are a lot of nasty games going on here. Many of his patients have been bullied off the web by this behavior and their comments pulled due to pressure from the doctor. If you scroll down you will see countless comments on this thread that have been removed. There is a real need for a site that allows people to speak freely. I thought RealSelf was it but they seem skewed in favor of the doctor removing many critical comments while allowing all of the phoney baloney to remain. This provides an extremely distorted view for unsuspecting potential patients and it's a real shame as this is one of the most important and life changing decisions a person can make.
I really do think that Coleman can help you. I have looked at Kaf123s' posts on RealSelf and she has shown real improvement...and your befores are as bad as hers. Best Wishes!
Thanks, I hope you're right!
I meant to say that your befores and afters are not as bad as kaf123s.
I agree, her under-butt area was much worse but she didn't have the ditches that I have on my lower back. Her photos give me so much hope and are the reason I'm planning on consulting with Dr. Coleman. The canulas used in fat transfer surgery are actually called Coleman canulas as he invented the procedure. The surgeon who did my revision is wonderful and certainly didn't do me any harm though this is not his main area of expertise like it is for Dr. Coleman. I see a slight improvement but nowhere near what Dr. Coleman was able to achieve for Kaf123. Correcting a mess like this is extremely difficult! I spoke with him about Dr. Coleman and he said that he is very esteemed and that I would be in very good hands. The main concern is that there will not be enough harvestable fat, though to me Kaf123 didn't look like she had a lot of extra fat either. I will definitely wait until fall, this is not a surgery you want to do in the hottest time of the year and when clothing is less concealing, plus NYC in the summer is hell on earth :) I'll definitely post throughout the second revision with Dr. Coleman (with photos) so that people who are also considering him will have more information to go on.
Have you posted pictures after the revision you have already had? I didn't read your whole blog...what did the surgeon who did the revision actually do? Thanks for your time.
I haven't posted any photos since the revision as I look almost the same. Immediately afterwards I did see some improvement but as the swelling subsided and everything calmed down the ditches are still very evident. The surgeon who did the revision used the Coleman method to harvest the fat and then transplanted it into the depressed ditches in an attempt to fill them in. He wasn't able to harvest enough viable fat to really address the fold beneath my butt. With fat transfer you never know how much will actually take. In my case it wasn't much unfortunately.
Well, I think the PS just didn't have enough knowledge and experience with fat transfer. I had a consultation with Coleman...he said expect 80%...even though you don't really know how much will stay. Sounds like you have about a 10% improvement...would you say? Just using kaf123s' improvements after one transfer proves that Coleman gets pretty good results. Coleman said my problems weren't as bad as kaf123s but worse than another patients that he did fat transfer on and both of them had good results...so I am hopefully for myself. And I think mine and your problems are similar. I am still saving up money and maybe can go in the fall to do the procedure. Have a good day!
Hi everyone, just thought that I'd give you a quick update. It has now been about 6 months since my fat transfer revision surgery and there really isn't a noticeable difference. The dents and gouges remain. I also had the white spots where Haworth burned by the skin with the laser treated and that too was unsuccessful. This may very well be a permanent situation for me. Summer is here and I'm wishing I could go to the beach but I can no longer wear a swim suit without feeling extremely self conscious. I decline all invitations. I also met someone I'd like to get to know better. We've been out several times but I can't imagine taking my clothes off in front of anyone, especially someone that I like. I've told him I can't see him. I'm so depressed by what has happened to me and losing hope that it'll be able to be improved. I may go to see Dr. Coleman in NYC this fall but have been told he charges around $25,000 for a revision and that more than one may be necessary. I'm not only running out of hope I'm running out of money. Then there is a certain "patient" cough that somehow finds it appropriate to continue to post messages on my review in defense of my doctor while minimizing the myriad of physical and emotional consequences that I am left to deal with on my own. It is all part of the Haworth experience...
I stumbled on this review by accident after I posted what I thought would be a reassuring comment regarding your unhappiness with the outcome of your ear lobe surgery. A comment by "lostbeauty" about my post to you stating I was a "cleaver poster" made me curious and now after reading the rest of your lipo review as well as "lostbeauty"s comments about work she had by Dr. Haworth it all makes sence. I did not experience anything bad from Dr Haworth and lived what he did for me. I have had lipo on my whole body pretty much by various surgeons all with excellent reputations (not Dr. Haworth ) and I have the same results as you but did not want to distroy them because of it. It can be fixed. It's actually quite common to end up with some dents etc.. After lipo especially of the theighs, back, upper abdomen and arms. Body wraps and massage can help, diet helps (you'll lose more fat under the skin and it will smooth it) fat transfer etc.... What your going thru is really quite common. It's a sad reality but anytime you melt and suck fat out of somewhere there will be a risk of it being uneven there are too many variables, diet, Health, how your particular body heals itself, water retention, aftercare, hormones, how long you wore your compression garments, did you use the right compression garments, some of us girls are so into our lipo surgery that we begin taking arnica bromolain, eating a clean diet and doing detox's months before, during, after lipo, along with lymph drainage massage, restricted sodium etc.....not to say that you did not do all these things but I'm making the point that it's not only about the surgeon, it can be a lot of factors and I think it's really unfair to say a very highly experience we'll known surgeon such as Dr Haworth that many hundreds possible thousands of us have had excellent results with, is a bad surgeon? I'm not discounting your unhappiness with your lipo results, I'm just saying lipo is commonly like that unless your very very conservative almost to getting barely any results.
I’m not sure I really agree with your comment, though I think you mean well. Did you read this doctor's response further down the string? it's how unprofessional he is, along with the results he gave Seattle2584 . I also disagree with you blowing this off as it being "quite normal"......if it was normal to get a deformity done and then have to pay thousands of dollars to try and fix it then why would someone do this in the first place. Having a deformity is NOT normal, that is why many choose plastic surgery because we are trying to “improve” ourselves, not makes us look worse.......I believe Seattle2584 did the right thing it making it public on her results....now would you go to a doctor who you knew botched someone’s body? Would you pay thousands of dollars to make your body look worse? there are many outcomes of lipo that are positive and it's all in the hands of the doctor. Sure, if you go out and decide to gain 30+ pounds and live an unhealthy lifestyle your body won't look good but that is not that case with Seattle2584. She has experienced deep, large dents....he lipo'd under her buttocks which is a "NO TOUCH" zone and he should have known that...even if she requested it, he should have educated her on what can happen and why a doctor shouldn't touch that area, that is what he went to school for…it’s not up to her to dictate the outcome of what he did. again, I don’t believe your comment was meant to insult anyone but I don’t agree with what you’ve said. This is not normal …the outcome is not good and it’s not that easy to fix. He did a terrible job and I thank her for sharing and warning the rest of us….I wish I was lucky enough to be warned before my surgeon destroyed my body.
yes. I agree wholeheartedly with you sg2012. I fully support this version of the what has happened in this case. This is also how i see it.
Lovenlife, you sure do seem to have an interest in promoting this doctor... I posted my pictures so that others can see what kind of work he does. My post is not ruining his reputation, the quality of his work is what is ruining his reputation. I am not out to "destroy him", I don't know about the "thousands of us with excellent results" (how do you know that by the way- it reads like a bad infomercial) I am simply sharing what happened to me. I spent a great deal of money to look much worse than I did before. This defeats the point of plastic surgery. This is not "normal", nor is it acceptable, and your trying to spin it that way doesn't change the facts. Interesting that you claim my post is "unfair to Mr. Haworth". I am simply letting his work speak for itself. It's not my fault it looks horrible, believe me, I wish more than anyone that it looked as good as he led me to believe it would. As far as I can see, he is the one who came out the winner in this transaction. I gave him a large sum of money and he left me with a permanently disfigured body- now that is unfair.
I think it's a problem too, to accept these deformities as 'normal.' If we do that then it's basically saying: here is a crummy surgery that you will have to spend a lot more in fixing and you may still be miserable. Doctors who sell it should be held accountable; they know what's going on and they are not telling people and not fixing the problems after. Basically it's a bad procedure. Those factors that make for bad results are part of the reason why. Those factors and others are not that controllable. I think we need to change the perception of fat and why it's there, why it's hard to lose and better ways to be healthy. Liposuction actually creates poorer health.
I chose him based on all of the rave reviews I read. I did not know him or his reputation before choosing him. Never watched the swan show. I am not affiliated with him in anyway and other than my surgery experience with him don't know much about him. But I have had lipo same as you with another surgeon. My results were actually even more in smooth on my stomach and flanks than yours and my back because so much fat was lipo'd had alot of loose skin making me look sharpei like when I bent side to side. I could have flipped out and tried to attack my surgeon, demanded my money back, harassed his office staff, posted bad reviews on every forum I could find (clearly a lot of people take this route) but it would not change anything in my surgery results and it's also just not my style or temperament to take that course. In time it all remedied on its own and is smoothed out. If I seem like I am defending dr Haworth maybe I am than. I'm not against any of you women, I liked him and my results by him and I want a couple more things done by him so maybe I'm defending him based on that. People have a right to know if someone's happy too. Keep in mind readers out there that only a few people are actually brave enough to post on these forums and there are far more who read but don't post. Doctors like dr Haworth perform a lot of surgerys every week, month, year. People who are not happy for whatever the reson will most certainly post to vent and feel better emotionally. Happy people just go enjoy their results and don't post on forums unless they want to help others. With that being said the actual percentage of unhappy patients is pretty small and chances are your surgery will go great. I did not read dr haworths comments but based on this thread if I were him it would be hard to not feel attacked. Sorry but even I have kids, a business, lots of things to do and I'm on here defending the guy because I think this is going way past just asking fir opinions to just being well to be nice "mean" lol
Please tell me you are not really referring to this as being deformed.....that's just wrong she is so not deformed and it's not normal it's common there not the same term. I'm not going to post on this thread anymore there's nothing else to say and it's boring. Good luck it you guys
It's hard to understand why you or anyone would subjectively look at someone and decide for that person whether or not she is deformed. But ultimately, the problem with lipo is that it is the gift that keeps on giving. Any slight deformity in the beginning will get worse as a person ages.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi Oradia, I am sorry that you had complications from his lip lift too. I too am suffering with many many problems. I will pray for you. There comes a time when there is nothing more left to do.
lostbeauty, it is a tragedy what happened to you. as seattle said, your story is heartbreaking. i know exactly how you feel right now. i am hopeless now and feel that i cannot trust another surgeon. in my opinion he should not be allowed to treat papercuts. i am thinking of you this evening as we are both on this lonely pathway. i will say a prayer for us both.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Lovenlife, it is so clear that for $30,000 this is really bad! You have no idea what Seattle went through. I know you don't empathize with her, whereas I do. At least you are honest enough to admit it. You need to know that there are SO MANY reviews on here detailing his failed work - they don't all give out his name because he will chase people down as Seattle has been on here. You may want to be careful of Internet marketing tactics and the rave reviews you mentioned - unless you are a part of that too. The fake reviews from doctors are VERY easy to spot if you read enough of them!!! I wish you well in your future surgeries.
Hi oradea,

Your comments were removed because they violated our Community Guidelines.

All experiences and opinions are welcome on RealSelf. We don't allow community members to question the validity of another person's story, whether it's positive or negative. If you have concerns about specific reviews or comments, please email us and we will look into it.

--Sharon
Seattle, I have been thinking a long time about lovelifes response to you and it is really quite disturbing. Her response was discussed on another plastic surgery site and its important for you to know that everyone believes that you were incredibly brave to publicly display pictures of your deformaties. Most of his patients who had complications with him are afraid to post pictures because of how he and his staff bully people and try to discredit them, just like lovenlife tried to do to you. Although, he seems to be trying to change his tactics, since he acted like "mr nice guy" recently when he responded to the two recent negative reviews on rate MDs Anyway we are all here to support you. You did the right thing.