Lumpy, Dented, Irregular Liposuction by Dr. Randal Haworth - Los Angeles, CA

Dr. Haworth left me with a lumpy, dented body...

Dr. Haworth left me with a lumpy, dented body after performing liposuction on me. I am in my 30s, with a BMI of 19. It has been a very long year of emotional distress/ covering up my body due to the very unfavorable results of his work (which I'm sure he is unaware of due to his complete lack of follow through). I'm finally ready for a revision and will not be going to him.

Lumpy, dented liposuction and deep double butt crease after liposuction by Dr. Randal Haworth

I finally got brave enough to post photos...

Since tomorrow I am having a revision, I took some pictures to document the hideousness of Haworth's work before the evidence is gone. This is what he charged me $19,000 to do. I hope that I will see an improvement but it's very doubtful that this will be able to be fully repaired. I'll never get back the two years that I've lost, or forget the mental anguish that I've suffered, and Haworth has never offered to give back even one cent of the money that I gave him to do this to me. Don't buy the lie, he is a TERRIBLE surgeon and an even worse human being.

5 days post op

Too soon to tell how things are looking, I'm wearing the compression garment and am swollen and bruised though the pain isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.The nurse who took care of me after surgery with Haworth told me that "he isn't known for being gentle" so I think that my surgeon's gentle touch has definitely made a difference in my pain level. I weigh TEN pounds more than I did the morning of the surgery so clearly I am retaining a ton of water. I had a nurse for the first 24 hours and now I've just been sleeping day and night. My doctor gave me a prescription for valium as well as pain killers so every time I wake up I take a few more pills and go back to sleep. It's all a fuzzy haze since the surgery which is fine by me. I'll check back in a few days. Bye for now.

Photo update

A few of you have asked about new photos now that it has been more than 6 months since my first revision attempt. The doctor that I saw is very ethical, talented, and conservative, and made some improvement, but as you can see from the photos, the major gouges are still very visible. I am still searching for a resolution to these deformities.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

During the consultation phase he was very accomodating. I spent $19,000 for this procedure but after the first post op appt, I never heard from him again. I called in about a week later with surgery related complications and was passed off to another doctor to deal with; not a word from Randal Haworth. My follow up appt (by phone due to the fact that I live out of state) came and went without a call from him or his office, and they never explained, apologized, or rescheduled. I wouldn't go to him if he offered to do it for free. Just wanted to share my experience.

Seattle2584, thank you so much for being brave enough to post your story. It seems, by other reviews that I have read, when someone did not have a good outcome, others feel the need to write a negative review to that member. I think, that almost everyone is wanting to know about the good results along with the bad results, to help them make the best decision on what surgeon to choose. I wish you the very best, I hope that you will do further updates to let us know everything goes for you!
Love Pink, thanks so much for your good wishes. I think everyone is just trying to sort truth from fiction online these days and it is so important that deceptive online marketing strategies don't compromise the integrity of sites like this. I feel that I made my choice based on bad information, and, as a consequence, I'm determined to share these pitfalls with other unsuspecting patients who might otherwise end up doing the same. It is something that I feel passionately about as this has been a truly horrific experience for me. I am now researching doctors for a second revision attempt to correct the ditches on my body and am trying to remain hopeful but more important, wary. I think that it is also important for people to see how difficult, emotionally draining, expensive, and time consuming it is to correct bad results such as mine. It certainly is NOT a quick and easy fix as some posters would have people believe. I will continue to post about my experiences as things progress. Good luck with your pursuits!
I am so proud of you for having the courage to post your pictures. I am the one who posted the picture of my nose after two revision surgeries with Dr. Haworth. I still have the ball on the end of it and the tip is white from a small piece of cartilage trying to come through. I got copies of my surgical report that I have taken to several doctors. None of them can figure out what he actually put in my nose. It is as though he didn't actually do the surgery and just created the report. You are entitled, by law, a copy of your surgery report. It should be a detailed record of everything by the minute that was done during surgery. Who did you go to for your liposuction repair? You look so much better.
Thanks showedon. I'm familiar with your case as well- so incredibly sorry you're still dealing with this. Have you found someone you're comfortable with as far as a revision goes? I do think that Dr. Menick in Tuscon would be able to help you. His reputation is excellent and his website is pretty amazing. I did contact Dr. Haworth's office about getting a copy of my report because I also wanted to know what he did to cause such terrible results, but had second thoughts when Star from his office called 2 or 3 times to remind me to send back the medical release. I couldn't get a call back before and now they're hounding me? His office has only responded when it is for a self-serving purpose so I was immediately on guard. He has already disclosed details from my confidential medical file online (in his response to my review), so trusting him with a signed release of my medical records wasn't something I was prepared to do. I wouldn't put anything past him at this point. I messaged you the name of the doctor who did my liposuction revision (I don't want him dragged into the drama) but he is the same surgeon who revised my nose which I am very happy with all things considered. He has a fairly broad practice with good results and an excellent local reputation which is very comforting after getting taken in by so much online mis-information. I think that there is an improvement which gives me hope, but the largest ditch is still very visible and the low crease under my butt is disgusting. The fact that it now reaches all the way across my thighs even when I'm sticking my butt out like this is really strange looking. I used to wear yoga pants to workout but with this weird cut off between my legs and butt I haven't worn a pair since the surgery. I plan on consulting with several doctors whose practice is focused only on correcting bad liposuction, like Sydney Coleman, who can hopefully improve things to the point where I can wear a swimsuit or yoga pants again.
On the medical release form write to be released to you alone and no one else. Not for other medical personnel or the public. make sure you keep a copy.
I did consider it but I just have zero trust in these people, so I decided to just let it go. I've seen the lengths they will go to in order to silence and intimidate their detractors and I've been pretty vocal. Thanks though :)
To those of you considering surgery I'd also like to recommend that you look at how the business deals with faulty/defective products, or in the case of plastic surgeons, obviously bad results (like mine). Most businesses will offer a refund and that is that. With plastic surgery, you cannot "return" the item, but an ethical surgeon may recognize that the results are not acceptable and at least refund the money paid for the "service". He or she may have to absorb the cost of the 3 or 4 hours of their time, but the patient must still deal with the time and increased cost of correcting the damage, if in fact it can be done at all. This is a fair resolution to a bad situation. If bad results are rare for the business in question, this should not affect their bottom line as it shouldn't be something they have to do often.. No ethical surgeon would feel good about taking tens of thousands of dollars to do the patient a dis-service. The Hippocratic oath that all physicians take states that they must "do no harm". Sometimes mistakes happen, but often it is how a business or individual deals with a mistake that is more important the the mistake itself. For the record: I paid Dr. Haworth $19,000 for 3 or 4 hours of his time. The stated goal of the liposuction surgery was to improve my contours. Shortly after my surgery I developed a large pocket of fluid in my hip called a Seroma. When I contacted the office my call was not important enough to merit a call back from Dr. Haworth. Another doctor whom I'd never met called me and gave me some general advice. Thankfully the Seroma resolved itself and did not need to be drained. Weeks later,after the terrible contour irregularities caused by Dr. Haworth became apparent to me I wrote a list of questions for him that I planned to address during our post-op consultation. Due to the fact that I live out of state it was to be over the phone using email to share images. That day came and went without any communication from Dr. Haworth or his staff. At this point I really felt a complete fool. I have had better service at shops where I've purchased a garment. What do you expect for $19,000? A call back? When I eventually posted my story and photos online in the hope that others might learn from my mistake Dr. Haworth added insult to injury and immediately responded with a defensive, snarky letter that also released private details that I disclosed in my medical file. You can see this at the very bottom of my review. This is not an acceptable or ethical way to treat a patient that is justifiably unhappy due to substandard results. My photos are indisputable and show areas that were never operated on before. He has never offered to refund any of the amount paid to him for these substandard results; he seems more than happy to keep it. Let this behavior be an indication of how you will be treated by this business should your results fail to meet an acceptable standard.
For those of you who cannot afford double or triple the cost of the initial surgery, this is especially important to consider. Revisons take longer and cost more and most likely will involve traveling to see a specialist. Often the only way many people can afford a revision is if the cost of the first substandard surgery is refunded AND IT SHOULD BE. Why should the entire financial burden fall upon the customer's shoulders when the fault lies with the business? If you took your car to a body shop and said, "smooth out the dents", and they gave it back to you with twice the amount of dents, you'd take them to court (if they weren't obliging) and get the initial amount refunded (as they did not provide the agreed upon service), as well as the amount to repair the additional damage that they caused. If you had your kitchen remodeled and the contractor did a substandard job you'd be able to be heard in court even though it is also a "subjective and visual result". There is legal protection for customers in most business situations, but unbeknownst to many (until they find themselves inquiring), patients sign away all legal rights when they sign the medical consents. Though most ethical surgeons will be open to discussion in the case of a bad result, there is no legal recourse for unacceptable cosmetic results, even in cases where it is glaringly obvious. There is no board or association that oversees cosmetic outcomes. This needs to change as it allows businesses to profit regardless of the quality of work they provide, even in cases of obviously unacceptable results. In any other field, the substandard businesses would fail as they'd be forced to provide financial compensation for the damage they've caused. The herd would be thinned; the bad ones driven out of business while the competent businesses that provide good results would be largely unaffected, just like any other market. But we don't live in a perfect world or even a fair world. For now we must be aware of these flaws in the system and do our best to navigate our way through this often confusing landscape. Sites like this become the eyes and ears, the overseers if you will that hold these businesses accountable for their quality of services rendered, and their behavior towards those who've employed their services. Unfortunately it the only oversight currently available.
This is all so hard. Where do I begin? I wish I had a new beginning, a life where I had something to look forward too. Isn’t that what we all wish for? I wish that I could feel a kiss again, I wish that I could pucker my lips and actually make a kiss again, I wish that I could go out to dinner with friends, without the fear of food drooping on my numb lips not knowing that it is there, I wish when I brush my teeth that my lips had the strength to hold the water inside without the water spilling out all over my clothes, I wish that I could whistle, I wish that I could use a straw, I wish that I could pronounce every letter in the alphabet without the help of a speech therapist. I wish that I could smile like I used too. I wish that I could feel the wetness of a runny nose on my numb lips, I wish that I could recognize myself when I look in the mirror, I wish that my family would look at me when they talked to me. I wish that my mother still thought I was beautiful, no matter what. I wish the people that I knew from my past would not look away, when I bump into them. I wish that I still had a boyfriend; I wish that I did not lose my job because it involved public speaking, something that I will never be able to do again. I wish I never had a computer. Because, if I did not, I would never have heard of this doctor and would never have ended up in Beverly Hills, having a muscle hemming lip lift and lower VY. What I really wish for is when I wake up in the morning that all of this was a dream. I wish.
As another victim of this fraudulent doctor, Seattle's points are more than worthy of consideration and echo my personal experience with him. I never received a refund either, even though my outcomes were all terrible. The areas worked on were virgin territory and all were damaged beyond repair. And true to form, the only time I ever heard back from him is when I posted a review online! As a facility that markets itself as world class and charges incredibly high fees, I speak from first hand experience when I say that the whole place is no better run than a strip joint. The phrase "you get what you pay for" does NOT apply here; in fact, it is thoroughly disingenous to market a business in the way he does while knowingly operating a factory facility providing bad service and terrible results with ZERO aftercare. What Haworth does is no better than what they do south of the border in back room clinics. Case in point: I had the IV in my arm and was about to go under when a staff member shoved a credit card machine in front of my face and requested payment! I was about to be put out for major surgery and they hadn't even got their act together to process this well in advance. This may sound like nitpicking but it's VERY telling. If a supposed high class doctor sanctions this kind of chaos then clearly nothing about his practice is in order. I would never have recommended a place like that to a friend or family member, even if my results had been good. My after surgery appointments were delayed by up to 4 hours, even though there was no-one in the waiting room or anywhere else other than the front desk. Yet that is about the best you can hope for with Haworth because Seattle didn't get a single follow up, a call back or anything - after paying $19000 for liposuction alone! Not to mention tens of thousands for the other procedures she's reviewed on here. Outrageous when you consider that complications can include serious infection; having a seroma was bad enough. The exception to this when he enlists patients to write glowing testimonials for him and bully unhappy patients while they're at it. DON'T BE FOOLED by these tactics. The fact is that Haworth can't find the time to work on the things that matter should indicate that things are not right in terms of the business and the doctor's attitude towards it. Coupled with the atrocious results of my surgery, I realized I'd been consciously ignoring major red flags all along, and having been brainwashed by the marketing machine I had unwittingly become the victim of an outrageous self-promoter. It didn't take long for it to become obvious that my results were horribly botched. He had done everything that I had told him not to. Since he performed procedures without my approval, he must feel that is his right. Do YOU feel it is acceptable for a doctor to do such a thing when they take huge sums of money from you based on the fundamental principle of trust? This should be a major red flag for anyone considering him, unless you want to risk being an experiment. And finally, Haworth's sneeringly self-righteous remark to Seattle at the bottom of this piece, accusing her of "deceiving the public at large", could not be any less insightful or hypocritical than it already is. He has been "deceiving the public at large" for YEARS with his determination to stamp out NUMEROUS honest reviews despite knowing full well he has wronged those patients without giving a hoot about any of them. There are dozens and dozens of reviews he has managed to bury. He rehashes negative reviews in the form of false positive reviews or false "crazy patient" reviews to confuse public opinion, and more recently he created his OWN domain where he's posted and tagged all his positive reviews in an attempt to mislead people into believing that they're reading a legitimate review site showing 5* ratings, when in reality this is a sham site designed to foil their attempts to uncover the truth in the search engines. With a plastic surgeon on every street, why should rotten apples like him be kept in business? What gives them the right to think there are not consequences for the harm they cause - whereas we, the patients, are supposed to blindly accept their horrific actions and pay for the victimization process? It's about time more people took a STAND against this rather than denounce those who complain as crazy or obsessive with "nothing to do". Lovenlife's comment below about having "kids and a business" is patronizing crap - unhappy patients are characterized as losers with no occupation or family life for what reason? Believe me I am plenty busy, and taking time out to write about my experience is hardly more than a few minutes' sacrifice a day. People have a right to know the WHOLE truth about the doctor treating them as this is medical care, first and foremost, and we are paying for it! We can also control who stays and goes, but that's not possible unless more people speak out against corrupt doctors and their shameful behavior.
Gypsy, your words are so sad and very touching, my heart goes out to you. Beautiful post. I wish there was something that I could say to make you feel better but I know that words won't change your situation. I'm in the same boat, living a half-life that often seems like a bad dream that I can't wake from. I'm assuming you have nerve damage from what you wrote? How long has it been since your surgery? Have you seen other doctors and if so what did they say/can they help?
Imtimt- you are so right about people needing to take a stand! So often we are ashamed or embarrassed or too emotional to talk about what we've been through but we need to remember that the only way these kinds of businesses will be exposed for what they are is if we stand up and share our experiences. Haworth plays hard and dirty, which has caused many to back down, but I won't be intimidated. He's already done the worst thing I could ever imagine to me, there's not much left for me to be afraid of... The law may not give us legal recourse for what has been done to us, but it does allow us to speak the truth about our experiences. He can take our money, he can take our looks, but he cannot take away our voices!
Thank you Seattle for your kind words. Yes, I had muscle and nerve damage. Every doctor that I have seen for a possible revision cannot believe the damage that occurred from my surgery. I went in with a Virgin face untouched before, and ended up looking like I have a cleft lip. My nose and lips are deformed now. I've seen many doctors in Beverly Hills who cannot believe what was done to me. They don't even know where or how to begin to help me. I feel very overwhelmed and confused. And obviously depressed. I am sorry about what happened to you and Imtimt, and I want to thank you for helping others identify what is happening on the Internet with this Doctor. I am sure you will help others. Unfortunately, it was too late for us.
Gypsy, I am SO sorry. I can't even begin to imagine. I hope you can find some relief from your depression and anguish and some improvement (at the very least) in your appearance. There really are no words. Do know that you are helping others as well. The more people have to go on the better prepared they are to make an informed decision. Businesses must be accountable for their practices and the consequences of their actions, and it sounds like you were done a grave injustice. Huge virtual hugzzz
Try Tom Wang in Portland, Oregon. I would stay out of Beverly hills when looking for a surgeon.
Another unhappy patient of Dr. Haworth's recently posted his photos on doctorscorecard and experienced almost exactly the same thing as I did with lovenlife. A so called "happy patient" showed up defending the doctor, questioning the validity of his claims and accusing everyone posting on the thread of being the same person. I don't know who they think they're fooling with this sort of behavior but it's just wrong. I also don't know why happy patients would actively seek out those who've had bad experiences in order to question their integrity and provide damage control for the doctor. I do know that false reviews are rampant online and that some people will stop at nothing to lure in new business and discredit their detractors. I believe Haworth has also invented a fictional crazy patient that is blamed for every negative review he has received. A few over the top posts about nanotechnology and mind control (see Yelp filtered) used as "proof". This allows him to get many bad reviews pulled and blame the "crazy patient" for all of the legitimate reviews from unhappy patients. For the record, even though I question lovenlife's (and other's) glowing reviews of Haworth, I have never gone on their threads to share my negative experience with him, nor have I seen another unhappy patient do so, despite our desire to prevent others from making the same mistake. I think that says something about our integrity. There are a lot of nasty games going on here. Many of his patients have been bullied off the web by this behavior and their comments pulled due to pressure from the doctor. If you scroll down you will see countless comments on this thread that have been removed. There is a real need for a site that allows people to speak freely. I thought RealSelf was it but they seem skewed in favor of the doctor removing many critical comments while allowing all of the phoney baloney to remain. This provides an extremely distorted view for unsuspecting potential patients and it's a real shame as this is one of the most important and life changing decisions a person can make.
Iam sad 4 u sis
I wish u dissolve ur problem soon .. Sorry for my poor english .
Thanks Lulu, nice of you to say :)
Yes, that was a nice comment. dissolve, resolve, any of those things are exactly what we need to have in our lives.. It is nice people like yourself LuLu that keep a lot of us, that have had poor experiences, keep our spirits up. You are a nice human being to take the time and post those comments to Seattle2584. Natalie
Thank you very much for ur kind words sister.
Seattle,

We allow both negative and positive comments here on RealSelf, but all must adhere to community guidelines. It is far more likely for negative comments to violate guidelines which is why they are more often removed.
Thank you for your posts. As I said, my estimation of RealSelf's credibility had gone down as of late due to the sense that it was skewed in favor of the promotional machine rather than an open space where patients are able to give an honest account of their experience, good, or as is my case with this particular doctor, terrible. This is not a bad meal, or a faulty product, no matter how blase some of the advertising can be, this is a monumental decision that will affect a person, good or bad, for the rest of their lives, hence the importance of having a place where patients can share their results and experiences as well as thoughts, issues, and trends surrounding the business of plastic surgery. I am glad that you are not deleting much of what was posted. When potential patients are researching these businesses it is important that they have as much information as possible in order to make an educated decision. Let these interactions and patterns of behavior speak for themselves. People can decide for themselves what they believe is true but that is impossible to do if large chunks of the conversations are missing. Thanks again!
I really do think that Coleman can help you. I have looked at Kaf123s' posts on RealSelf and she has shown real improvement...and your befores are as bad as hers. Best Wishes!