Devastating Results By LA Doctor

I am a young college student. Before getting the...

I am a young college student. Before getting the procedure, I had just been signed with a top modeling agency here in LA and was looking for a boost in my appearance. I somehow got talked into a lip lift, which is normally reserved for 40+ women, or women with long upper lips. I am/had neither.

The whole experience has been really devastating, since I was not a candidate for this procedure it looks really awful! The whole balance of my face has been thrown off and I hardly recognize myself in the mirror.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

I am highly disappointed with the performance of Dr. Svehlak. I trusted Dr. Svehlak to make an informed decision in selecting an appropriate treatment to enhance my appearance. Unfortunately, he ultimately made the decision to perform a very invasive cosmetic procedure on me that was completely in appropriate for my age range and particular case. This procedure has dramatically altered my appearance in a negative manner and his work has left me with a very visible 1 inch scar accross my face. Dr. Svehlak failed to disclose the gravity of this procedure and the scar. Furthermore, Dr. Svehlak knew full well that I was not an appropriate candidate for this procedure, but he decided to operate on me unnecessarily. I have consulted with several top LA surgeons who told me that this he never should have performed this particular procedure on someone so young and who clearly didn't need it. This procedure is reserved for women in their 40's to 50's. I am still a college student. Dr. Svehlak took advantage of my vulnerability as I trusted his expertise. It has become apparent that Dr. Svehlak lacks judgement and compassion. Now that I have chosen to speak out against Dr. Svehlak, I know that other women will have the courage to follow in suit.

I do not discuss the specifics of any private patient matters as a policy. However, I do take great efforts to ensure that all my patients are carefully, compassionately, and professionally cared for in all cases. I am among a small subset of plastic surgeons nationwide that are board certified in both plastic as well as general surgery. I have been in practice in Los Angeles for 13 years, and have performed over 6,000 cosmetic procedures to date. I am a member in excellent standing of the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery as well as a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. I have been recognized multiple times with Compassionate Doctor Awards (as awarded by Vitals.com), an honor bestowed on less than three percent of all active physicians nationwide. In each and every case of elective surgery presented to me, I carefully ensure that the patient is a proper candidate for the surgery, by thoroughly discussing the procedure, recovery, and potential risks. I frequently decline to perform procedures that seem unwarranted or otherwise inappropriate. Before a surgery is performed, each patient must confirm in writing his or her understanding of the procedure, recovery, and risks involved. I strive to give all my patients the best care and know that my patients appreciate that. I am available to my patients for ongoing treatment and consultation concerning the outcome of any procedure.
I saw your picture... in my opinion your lips were and are very beautiful... but i dont really understand why you/he did lip lift because your lips were really fine before... I am looking for good doctor in UK to do lip lift to me.., but my tooth are completly unvisible when my lips are relaxed, when I am talking to :( I wish someone to do a great job like dr. Svehlak did to you. but I really sorry for your experience and I understand your complaint. I am worry that is no way to back to your look before :( and scar will be forever... I wish you all best with find best way to fix your pretty lips and face.
I'm so sorry to hear your story ,I understand as for I am also a victim a doctors negligent act.I wish there was something we could do.best wishes .
Hi Gabby, yes, please post photos. All docs only post their best cases. I had a consult with Haworth and I just have to pull the trigger. We all just have to be so careful. I gave my dermatologist carte blanche on fillers and I look like a puffer fish. She's always done great work but just got greedy I think. I asked her to dissolve it and she told me my face looked the way it did bc I gained weight. I've never looked like this, even 9 months pregnant. We all just have to be so careful!
Gabby, So sorry to hear you are disappointed with your results. Perhaps you will find some satisfaction in a revision. Best wishes and many Blessings.
I won't be getting a revision. No knife will ever cut my face again, I'm too young and pretty for that! I've had 2 INTENSE laser sessions done on my scar, each takes about a week to recover. I'm very happy with how well the laser has reduced my scar. All thanks to a new, proper doctor!
Gabby, Glad to hear that you are happy with you laser session results. May I ask what laser is being used on your scar? Thank you and Many Blessings.
Fraxel repair
Thank you for sharing. I was also a college student when I had a lip lift and fat grafting. For the fat grafting I wasn't aware of other options with less risk, e.g. cheek fillers. The lip lift was simply done badly and left very bad scarring, my nose is really bad. I have waited several years and the lip has relaxed somewhat. I was recommended to massage it down to hasten the process, which will hopefully mean I can get the scars cut out and a much needed (third) rhinoplasty. I would have never got the procedure had I known how bad things could go. I have fat injected all around my mouth which looks awful but ironically has dragged down the lip somewhat. I would recommend trying to massage gently, in order to lengthen it over the next year. Could you look into lasers etc to rid of the scar??
Thanks, I've been massaging it, also the laser I've had on the scar has helped to untangle some tissue and release and lengthen some of this!
Hi Gabby, was your scar white/red and tethered, by any chance? Fraxel repair sounds promising if it can release the tension.
Yes it was red & white & tethered. I've had 2 sessions of fraxel repair. It was pretty intense but it released 1 or 2 millimeters of tension and helped soften the scar. I'm only 2 more millimeters away from my original lip position!! I hope and pray that it drops even more, I stretch it a little every day. Here's to hoping! Also I bought a single- needle dermaroller to further improve the scar & untether it, which I will be using twice a month when it arrives.
I am 40 and went to Schevlak around 6 months ago basically bc of Snow Princesses' results and he told me I didn't really need surgery per se, just a little lipo under my chin. I ultimately didn't go through with only that (I'm just trying to lose that last post baby 5 pounds). I'm surprised he was so aggressive when I found him to be too conservative!
Dear Maudern, You didn't actually say what the bad results were...would you be so kind as to tell me what went wrong. I also had a surgery (lip Advancement) and the results were horrible. My surgeon did an additional lip surgery that was never discussed and my lips are a mess. Thanks, Valborg
I have no results, he said not to do it at all that maybe just a little lipo would help me. I wrote bc I was surprised someone found his advice aggressive. I was in there, I would've spent anything and he told me just a little lipo. I just didn't want to have to take time off for only a little lipo so I didn't do anything. I just had the opposite experience with this surgeon. I found him very conservative, so conservative I ended up doing nothing. I'm sorry Gabby had the opposite experience.
You are so lucky you didn't fall victim to his brutal surgery!
I am so sorry you had to go thru this horrible experience. I, too, had a lip lift many months ago; however, I am 72 years of age. My PS did 2 procedures instead of one and never discussed the v-y surgery. He took it upon himself to do this additional surgery and my lips are a mess. I've been to 3 other PS's, and they tell me there is nothing they can do to give me back my cupid's bow. Valborg
Who was your surgeon? I think maybe Schevlak didn't recommend the lift was bc I need the lift on the sides, which it looks like only Haworth does. I have a consult with him soon.
The funny thing is Dr. Svehlak actually suggested the corner lip lit too. I don't even think he's performed any more! I would have been his test subject! Thank god I didn't fall victim to an even worse situation than he's already put me through.
*i meant I don't think he's even performed any corner lip lifts before and I would have been his test subject.**

I'm so sorry you're unhappy with your results. Would you consider posting photos so we can visualize what you're describing?

Yes I'm going to post a photo soon