So long flab ... Hello, flat side!!!! Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair, No Liposuction..

I am a mother of 4 children. 5'1 and 120 lbs. I've...

I am a mother of 4 children. 5'1 and 120 lbs. I've always been in moderate physical activity and watch what I eat as I know that I am not getting any younger. Early year solution was trying to lose 10 lbs more, but when you are on your 40's in slimming down is kind of a fighting battle with your own metabolism.

I have this extra skin on my stomach and would love to get rid of it completely. I've been in free consultations from 2 reputable PS in LA and they quoted me over $10.000. I know I didn't drive in Maserati, so, I know that I couldn't afford that kind of price. At least, my curiosity in researching tummy tuck was explained!

Early this month, I stumble up on website offering tummy tuck trial for TissuGlu in LA area with a price cut if you are approve as a candidate. I phoned them in and they scheduled me for free consultation that was on April, 5.

When I came in for consultation, after careful check on my stomach the doc said I'm approved as candidate for clinical trial. The nurse has explained to me for everything and scheduled me for blood test that will coming up on April,22. My surgery will fall on May,02. So, excited!!!!

What I've learned in my consultation about TissuGlu is a sealant to minimize fluid accumulation after TT surgery. The clinical study is a double blind and you'll never know that you will having TissuGlu or not until the surgery is completed.

The surgery cost $2500 but you'll get $500 back in sequence since you will be in commitment for follow-up evaluations for the duration of study.

So, that's all I can tell for now, I'll post some more soon.....

Hi! I am going for my consult for the same with Dr. Stevens next week! What can I expect from the consult? Did you have to do any testing there as well? Is the pre-op stuff more intense since it's a clinical study? I'm only going for the consult and I'm already nervous. I so appreciate your patience with all my questions! Best of luck to you on surgery day- tissuglu or not, Dr. Stevens is awesome and you'll be in good hands. :)
Did they ask you, what is your height and your weight? In my thinking, they do have some set standard measurement of the height and weight to be eligible for the study. Then, on your consultation, Dr. Stevens will examine you and the one that will let you know if you are eligible or not. Don't be nervous!! Let me know..
Where is this and can I get there phone number I'm in Los Angeles as well and have Ben looking but can't find it

I went in for post-op and blood test Today. Dr....

I went in for post-op and blood test Today. Dr. Stevens came in the room and help me to learn more about the clinical study and some information on standard procedure of the abdominoplasty minus liposuctions with TissueGlu for the study being done, possible benefits, and as well as the risks involved.

I'm just hoping that I will be the on the group B which will receive standard wound closure with TissuGlu with no drain placement at the end of the procedure, finger cross!

But if I fall into group B, which is standard wound closure technique with placement of 2 drains, that's where I've got spent more time with nurse Patricia explained to what to do after the surgery is done. She also gave me the pre-op lists medication needed to take the night before surgery and the post-op medications list needed to take after the surgery.

All in all, I have to have everything in order preparing the surgery as well as family who are going to be supportive and caring for the first week after surgery that I will need help all I can to get through this journey.

Important: if you are allergy of rubber (urethane products) you may have allergic reaction to TissuGlu.

Had my consult today! And got approved! :) Latest surgery they can perform per the trial is May 30, kind of a bummer for us moms with school age kids and my sons bday the 31st, so I'm scheduled for the 15th! Yikes! Tried for earlier, but the stupid nicotine lab test takes 2 weeks! You have to be a certain BMI, no history of major weight loss, diabetes, previous tt. Basically you need to be a healthy, thin(nish), non-smoker who only needs a tt, no lipo, no hernia repair etc. Dr. Stevens sounds excited about the trial too and is trying to get them to allow more patients. @Fifth, how was your pre-op?? Would love to hear how your surgery goes...keep us posted! :)
Do you know what the bmi limit is? I will call tomorrow.
BMI is Body Mass Index that has something with calculating on body fatness. You could be healthy but you have bad BMI. It depends on your mucle mass. That's why they asked your height and weight before consultation, screening for health problem.

My surgery day is Tumorrow. I am overwhelming with...

My surgery day is Tumorrow. I am overwhelming with excitement. I cleaned my house and went out for shopping in advance. I've got myself medications ready for my recovery. I started taking in Arnica Montana 5 pellets 3x a day for bruising and swelling 3 days ago because I am prone of easy to bruise. I also took dulcolax last night so that I could have bowel the next day from the food that I ate yesterday and I made my bowel this morning..yay..

I am on liquid diet all day to decrease the amount of stool and to prevent constipation after surgery which may endanger the muscle repair if push too much when I go the bathroom. So, liquid diet before surgery can make pre-op recovery slightly easier.

I will have to take a shower with hibiclens soap to make sure that the skin is as free of germs as possible before surgery before I go to sleep tonight and next morning the following surgery.

The Serenity aftercare facility has called and letting me know that they will pick me up after the surgery done because I have to stay overnight for the next day post- op. They will have 24 hrs nurse to check in for the care and comfort.

So, while I am preparing for my overnight stay, please pray for me that everything will be turning out great. I will post some more pictures after surgery.

Congrats to you on your surgery, and the price. I have watched several videos of surgeries that have used the tissue glue and the results seem pretty amazing. You can find them in YouTube. Graphic, but educational. Good luck.
@ Crystal, I know!!! I watched that video over and over again..lol! it would be wonderful if I get the TissuGlu opposed than standard wound closure with drains. Finger cross!!
So excited for you!! Mine is one week from today and I can not WAIT. I hope everything works out the way you want, good luck!!

Just want to update you guys, I am already home...

Just want to update you guys, I am already home and got my TT done yesterday. Unfortunately, I did not get the tissuGlu, I've got standard wound closure technique with 2 drains placement.

When I was stayed overnight at Serenity, the nurses were gently, caring and comforting me. It's like I was at the best care. The meals were great. I feel tightness around my stomach, I guess it's from MR, other than that I feel great and my body feel sore. I have pair on white elasticized stocking on both of my legs to prevent blood clots for short period of time.

I am taking oxycodone, antibiotics, stool softeners and arnica. My job is right now to make sure I empty the drains every 8 hours on both side and record them. I have to make sure I have to have a bowel movement within 3 days before I go back for 2 post-op.

Also, I can not have strenuous activity (no heavy lifting, pushing or pulling). I have to stay in flexed position while in bed. Walking 3-4 times daily, drink plenty of fluids.

I'll post some post-op pictures when I gain some strength, pray for me for good recovery journey...thanks

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

It's been 5 days of post-op. I can't stand up...

It's been 5 days of post-op. I can't stand up straight. I've been walking hunch over and I'm having back problem. I've finished my antibiotic medication, and still continue on with percocet once everyday. I take ambien at night to help me to sleep.

When I visited doc office yesterday, nurse Maria was very nice to give me more pads and adviced me in paying more attention to my belly button with bacitracin ointment. Also, the output of seroma in the drains decrease, nurse Maria told me she might pull the drains out this coming Thursday. So, excited!!

I filled out some papers in documenting 3 days experiences with drains for study.

how come they didnt use the glue ?
@so long flab, I believe they use the glue but I was not selected, I guess. Then again, I'm puzzle just like the rest who don't get the TissuGlu for part of study. I heard from the doc office, chance to have tissuglu paste on your body is very small, says 5 people were selected for study only one person can be able to get the TissuGlu. They also told me from what they're seeing in comparison between TissuGlu patients and the standard drains patients, the outcomes result still better in the standard opposed than TissuGlu. I hope this help! I hope you understand what I mean...

10 days post-op, I finally gain my strength even...

10 days post-op, I finally gain my strength even isn't 95% yet but I feel a lot better. The swelling is going down and my drains were removed last Thursday. I wear my garment religiously and taking it off while I'm in shower. Hope everything goes well with you and happy healing. I'm so happy with my result and I can't believe my PS got me a nice belly button....

Looking good!!!!
Thanks! I am happy with my result eventhough too early to tell since I'm still swollen under the belly button area. TissuGlu or drains, I've got a great deal from one of highly reputation PS in Los Angeles.

Getting Better!

I though in giving you guys an update of my 3 weeks post op of tummy tuck. I feel great and back to daily chores, still on light chores. I am able to walk 95% straight and still wearing my compression garment. I can't go on without it. I take it off during my sleep. Overall, it's getting better and better...I still have swelling under belly button area as you can see on the pics shown. Happy healing!!!

You look great!!!
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Stevens is a talented PS for his works in Gummy bear breast implant. I had mine done when he had first clinical trial for gummy bear 10 years ago. Spent plenty time on consultation with me and concerned in doing the best result of the outcome for my surgery. The staffs are very nice and making you very comfortable. They give away good and expensive stuffs also..