Breast Implant Removal After 29 Years - Los Angeles, CA

I am 55. Had implants put in in '83, small,...

I am 55. Had implants put in in '83, small, textured, Silicone, over the muscle, in SF. That Doctor retired. I went from an even A to a B. Now, older, and fatter, I was a D, and they were getting in my way. No problems ever, until May of '11, when I noticed the right implant was rising up, visibly, then noticed some hardness at the bottom next to my chest. I had developed capsular contraction - after all these years. I didn't want more implants, as they now know you either have to replace them after ten years, ($$$), or pay out of pocket for an MRI ($2,700). Plus, once you've developed CC, the chances go up of getting it again, and possible infection, more surgery, more time and money lost. No time to deal with. Had a Disgnostic Mamogram, all normal. Many local consults later (I now live in Texas), I decided to travel back to LA for my surgery as I knew the surgeon there, respected him and trusted him, so felt safe and calm (er), about proceeding. He did a great job. My original incisions had been around the areola, but I didn't want to risk going back in there, as the more you do in that area - you can end up with issues (from what I understand). Plus, I just didn't like the idea, never did. He went in under the breasts, didn't even need General Anasthesia - just local and sedation (which made recovery easier).

Smiling faces as I went under, easy recovery, except for the annoying, gross drains (ugh), (but necessary as I had a partial capsulectomy. he left the back of the capsule intact, as it was too attached to my chest wall, and removing it woudl have caused more pain, slower recovery, more bleeding etc., for nothing. Turns out, the blooming implants weren't even RUPTURED!? After 29 years?! I asked him why some develop CC, and he said no one knows. I had assumed that they had ruptured, which also made me want them out, as well as the slight discomfort from the CC, plus it would get worse, if left alone, plus further danger of rupture as they were 29 years and getting older, so if not now, soon, and then, I just wanted it over and done with, not hanging over my head and life. I did not like any of this. It was a huge expense, trouble, interruption and I didn't want to be operated on at all, but I felt it was necessary. Very glad it's over. And my breasts feel great. It feels great to have them back to themselves - normal. I feel like my body's happier. And I am so relieved it's done and behind me, and I can live my life again. My Doctor and his team were wonderful and sweet, and I cannot speak more highly of him.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

He is a fantastic surgeon, and very experienced, kind and intelligent. An esthetician. He listened to me, and trusted my concerns and opinions. This is an operation many surgeons don't want to do, as some women get deppressed when they no longer have giant baloons on their chests that they have become used to. But feeling good, healthy and natural are the best, and also feeling that you are beautiful just as God made you is an awfully nice feeling as well.