59 Yo Basal Cell Patient - Long Island, NY

Dr. Tutrone performed two levels of moh's surgery...

Dr. Tutrone performed two levels of moh's surgery in long beach. I then went to dr. Lawrence Lin in great neck for reconstruction. Both doctors were pleasant and competent. I really liked Dr Lin though. He was very compassionate and made me asccomfortable as possible. The numbing needles were very painful..perhaps because of fibromyalgia or nerve damage to my face from bells palsy. It's all a distant memory now. I am glad the cancer is gone. I have a scar but with makeup it is hardly noticeable. The nostril is now slightly smaller. Immediately after surgery, I used nostril cones to make breathing easier at night. Good luck to anyone going through this.

tingling sensation

It's been 10 weeks since moh's surgery on my nose. I massage the scar with mederma every night. The scar is healing well but I feel tingling and a slight itching as if a butterfly was flapping It's wings on my nose. With my glasses on, the scar is not too noticeable. My recent chest biopsy was benign so all is good and I don't have to go back to doctor until September. Good luck to all going through skin cancer surgery.

10 week photo

I'm adding update picture. Everything healing well. Itching and occasional nerve pain are manageable.
Looking great! You can't even tell anything was done. Do you know if the itching will eventually go away?

Thanks for sharing your photos and keeping us updated. :)
Thank you! I hope the itchy butterfly feeling goes away..its just a little annoying but i can live with it. Thanks again. :)

12 weeks

I'm a little more comfortable with my appearance. The tingling and itching is still there but manageable. I feel sensation at surgical site even as I type this although I'm not touching anything near my nose. Here is picture of side view (with makeup).
Hello, the itching and butterfly feeling will go away completely but it does take about 2 years. However, it will get better and better during those 2 years. I believe it just your nerves growing back. This is a good sign that the skin is healing. CVS has an anti-itch product in a small white and aqua colored plastic that helps with the itchiness. You are so right it IS a small price to pay to be 100% cured. You look great! Best wishes, Beverly
Thank you so much. The itchy feeling is going away and I feel ok with everything. The dent is still very noticeable to me and the smaller nostril but it could have been so much worse. I had a Dermatologist appt yesterday and two more biopsies but not on my face :)
Best Wishes, Beverly

More Biopsies... more results

I had a checkup with my dermatologist last week and he took two biopsies -- both turned out to be positive - one for basal cell carcinoma (aggressive type) on my shin on leg and the other a small superficial squamous cell on my hand. He treated the hand yesterday with curretage and electrosurgery and he will perform surgery (with cut and stitches) on my leg July 30, 2014. At yesterday's appointment, we noticed something else in the scar where the moh's reconstruction was done in January. He took another biopsy and I await those results. PLEASE - anyone reading this who still sunbathes and doesn't take the sun seriously - PLEASE reconsider and cover up! I will post pictures when I get in a position to do so.

picture post surgery on hand

Swollen and sore but free of the squamous cell carcinoma.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Good luck to you. Prayers coming.
Thanks for being so open about your experience, dekaff. I really hope things go okay for you with the biopsy and surgery. I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you. *hugs*

all clear!

I am currently free of cancer. Tbe surgeries on my hand and my leg went well. The biopsy on my face was benign. I have 5 months until my next derm appt. Good luck to all going through this.
whoo-hoo! Great news...made my day.
Yay! Congrats on getting the all-clear!
Dr. Tutrone and Dr. Lin

Dr. Tutrone is all business. Dr. Lin has more empathy. Both did good job.