My Gastric Bypass Journey - Long Beach, CA

Hello, My name is Latois and I had the RNY surgery...

Hello, My name is Latois and I had the RNY surgery on July 27, 2011 with Kaiser Permanente which the surgery was performed by (Fountain Valley Reg. Hosp).

The reason I decided to first have any type of surgery was I was diagnosed with HBP 4 years ago and was on several medications not to mention none of them were working. My mother has CHF and a difribrlator in place and I did not want to undergo the untold problems that she has.

I chose the RNY because this was the surgery that my surgeon reccomended for my problem. I wanted HBP to be gone once and for all. As a child and my teenage years I was very thin and not until i gave birth to my second daughter did i began to gain weight and could not stop even with the many diets and programs that I started.

On the morning of Jan 1, 2010 I woke up with a throbbing headache and tingling in my hands and feet and was rushed to the E.R. with Bp elevated to 135/109 and had to be hospitalized for relief. This was when I knew I had to take a stand and do something about my problem. I made an appt with my primary doctor and at that time it was still highly elevated and she and I agreed to go forward with the WLS referrel. I went through 4 months of options class and then later scheduled for surgery.

It was not a hard decision for me nor my children. My husband was not to thrilled with it, but later came to his senses because he too wants me to live a longer life. The surgery itself was not as painful as I thought it would be. I'm never good with anesthesia anyway and that was my problem. After returning home from surgery was when I felt that I had madee the worse choice ever for myself because I felt so emotional after the surgery. Later found out that because I was losing so fast and hormones were going crazy was why I felt this way. I did not know what to eat..could not understand the feelings that I was feeling and just felt I had destroyed my life.

2 months post-op I began to feel alive again and now I feel this was the best thing I have ever done for myself and would not turn back ever. I love my tool and would do it all over again. I started my journey weighing 238 and now I am 5 mos post-op and I weigh 182 and I feel great. My goal weight is 120 and I will get there with the help of my tool.

I exercise 3-4 days a week 1 1/2 hours a day. I can eat no more than 4 oz. at one sitting and I am very cautious of not eatting things that don't belong in my mouth. I love the slow process of losing because I don't have a lot of loose skin hanging. I am toning as I go. I feel complete and would not trade my tool for nothing. Good luck with all your decisions and God bless.

you look great

Thanks for your review and congratulations on your weight loss. It's a hard journey but your determination has paid off for you, you will meet your goals as long as you are dedicated to doing so!

Muscat Dermatologic Surgeon

My doctor informed me of what surgery that would work for me and my HBP. To this day I have no HBP. I'm happy! All and All my doctor was thee best. I can call my doctors office anytime of the day or night. There are on-call docs available. I paid not even a co-pay for my surgery. Nothing... I only waited 1 month after classes to be scheduled for surgery. Things went smooth