2 months Post-Fraxel Re:pair: Red, Brown and Purple Skin Around Eyes - London, UK

I am in my late forties and had full-face Fraxel...

I am in my late forties and had full-face Fraxel Repair for general skin rejuvenation.

The procedure was quite painful despite a topical anaesthetic and sedative (I was crying). I still look as if my face has been in a deep-fat fryer. The main problem is that the clinic's view of "downtime" and mine are completely different. I understood this to mean, not just that I was physically able to return to normal activities, but that I would be able to do so without people I knew exclaiming, "What the hell happened to your face?!" Sadly this is not the case.

Day 18 and I'm feeling really depressed. The...

Day 18 and I'm feeling really depressed. The redness hasn't abated at all, there is a large area around my eyes that is a purpley-red colour, like a port-wine-stain birthmark. A thick layer of very obvious makeup only takes it down to a weird lilac colour. Also I have bags under my eyes that weren't there before. Don't feel like going out or seeing anyone.
This procedure is sold as a quick and easy alternative to a facelift, but I have had a facelift and the downtime was shorter and less traumatic. Am now wishing I'd gone down the surgical route.

It's now day 20 and the colour has gone down a...

It's now day 20 and the colour has gone down a fraction. Last night I went out socially for the first time, wearing lots of mineral makeup which I got from the clinic (the regular stuff won't do the trick). I think it looked ok! However, the skin around my eyes is so fragile that removing mascara, as gently as possible, caused some broken capillaries and bruise-like marks.

Today I had a consultation at another clinic for laser hair removal. The contrast between that and the Fraxel people could not be more marked! The practitioner spent an hour with me, went over the procedure in great detail and talked through all the possible adverse reactions, illustrating each one with real-life photos of clients. Whilst these were worst-case scenarios, I was left in no doubt about what to expect.

Conversely, my reaction to the Fraxel took me completely be surprise as I was totally unprepared. The doctor had shown me a photo of a client of a similar age to me, supposedly taken on day 7, whose face looked completely normal, saying, "Look - it's only 7 days downtime." It was only when I returned 2 weeks later, in some distress, that I was told that the redness can last for up to a month.

Recovery clearly varies enormously form person to person, depending on age, skin sensitivity, agressiveness of treatment etc. Also the eye area is particularly sensitive and takes much longer to heal. I just wish my doctor had told me this!!

It's now day 29 and I can't see that the...

It's now day 29 and I can't see that the colour has gone down at all since my last post. Also the new bags under my eyes are very noticeable, as a friend kindly pointed out to me! The whole effect is very ageing. I am quite worried now that I will be left with some permanent colour change. I have a review with the doctor booked for a week's time so I'll see what he says.

2 months now - skin around eyes still red, with...

2 months now - skin around eyes still red, with additional brown pigmentation patches. Still can't go out without tons of makeup. Saw a different doctor for a second opinion today. He was not impressed with the after-care provided by the first clinic, and thought the cream I was given could actually make it worse. Also said a high setting must have been used, and it was ridiculous to suggest I would be back to normal in 7 days. He recommended 4 sessions of mesotherapy at £280 per session! What with additional consultation fees, products and treatments looks like I will be spending another £1500 to remedy the effects of the Fraxel. Could not be more fed up.

Almost 5 months now since I had Fraxel, still...

Almost 5 months now since I had Fraxel, still can't go out without make-up and have seen no positive benefits. I have complained about my doctor to the regulatory body and they are investigating.
Dr Aamer Khan, Harley Street Skin Clinic

Totally misleading and inaccurate information about downtime, poor follow-up, potentially inappropriate aftercare. I also found the other staff at the clinic to be inefficient, unhelpful and unsympathetic.

I'm having the same issues...my face is getting worse I am on day 7 and the swelling and redness is so intense, I am getting so depressed, I have to miss even more work....I don't know what to use as everything makes it worse
Thanks
Hi Britt After vacation July 20th I am going to a dermo. It says on some web site that it could take 4-6months or a year before you are completly healed. Mine was deep because I had a lot of brown spots. I AM 75 YEARS OLD MAYBE THATS WHY IT IS TAKEN SO LONG' KEEP MR POSTED

Maybe. I hope your appointment in July might be able to help clear up some things (no pun intended) ;)

Thanks for the added info.

-Britt

Hi Whoppi, thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I think at age 75, the skin will take much longer to heal and it also sounds as if you had a fairly agressive procedure. It's a shame we have to find out about this afterwards! Best wishes.
I am 13 weeks aND STILL HAVE THE REDNESS AND AM STILL BLOTCHY

Whoppi, have you gone to the doctor?

HI Couleur Puce,

You are so not alone on the complaint of the definition of "downtime." Many community members have mentioned it. Well, based on healing many community members mention it can take up to 2 weeks+ hopefully it will not take you that long, but please do keep us posted. Thanks so much for the review.