Sliding Genioplasty - London, UK

My experience (7 weeks post op) has been, thus far...

My experience (7 weeks post op) has been, thus far very mixed. I had a chin implant inserted in 2000 for a short jaw and receding chin but remained unhappy with my profile, however face-on I was happy with my face. Last Summer a saw a specialist Maxillo-facial and oral surgeon who recommended a two year course of teeth and jaw treatment which I opted not to have. Instead I opted for Sliding Genioplasty and having the implant removed.

The surgery itself was painless, was except for bad pain swallowing, this was due to the tube inserted during surgery so the patient can breathe, it lasted for 10 days. The swelling and bruising was fairly minimal. My profile immeadiately was transformed! and I was delighted! Inside my mouth felt very tight and my lower lip was 'pulled up' and smaller. I could not move my lip properly and had no muscle movement on my chin and so this affected my speech for about three weeks. The muscles and lip are still healing and semi-numb and are not normal yet. However my face, face-on looks very different. My face and chin are longer and much narrower. I look older. Unfortunately this new shape and narrow face does not suit my wide set eyes wide nose and big lips. I am unhappy with the result. However I have been told to wait 4 to 6 months and then go to my surgeon for a review. I accept this advice and know in the event that my face has not 'settled' by then in the way that I would like, that the shape of my new chin can be addressed(another implant).

Overall I would say: expect a massive improvement in your profile, a long healing time (3 to 6 months) and a change to your face shape. Make sure your surgeon explains all of this to you especially the changes to your face shape. In summation though I have a lot of healing time left and may well, in another 2 months time, love may new face, probably at this juncture overall I wish I had not had the proceedure done. the surgeon was excellent as was the care I received. All the comments people have made to me, were along the lines of 'your face looks much thinner'. Not one person has said I look better. I do not care what people think of my looks afterall everyone is so different. But I think these comments are very telling.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi all, Thanks for sharing your stories. I am looking into the possibility of undergoing the same op in a London clinic to correct a weak chin and have been quoted about £5,800. I think the cost is excessive. How much did your cost? could I have your surgeon's details please? Many thanks Jean
Hi...where in London did you get sliding geonoplasty done. What clinic/hosptial. Who is the surgeon. Please can you share this ...just don't know who to contact. Thank you
hi guys im 3 and a half most post op now and had a sliding genio of 5-6mm. i just wanted to reassure some people reading this that i am still very happy with my results and would certainly recommend it. My face looks longer too but i believe this is because my face is now properly balanced, whereas before it wasn't. also it takes some time to get used to it but now i love it and when i look at my previous photos i think my face looks so disproportioned. i have a lovely jaw line now and it pretty much got rid of my double chin too. please take the time to get used to your new face - good luck!
I have always had a small chin and when i would smile it wouldn't be so small anymore so I'm debating if i need it done. In photos I usually have a double chin due to it being small its a hard call and not sure what to do ? Will I Look better with it?

Add an implant. I got sliding geneoplasty and an implant at the same time.

Hi Molly, im just wondering how you're going now with your genioplasty now?
i recently had a sliding genioplasty and a rhinoplasty (17 days ago) and so far im pretty happy with the results :)
although my face looks a bit longer too, Im getting used to it and Im liking it more everyday. Also, my lower lip is pulled inwards too (looks smaller), did yours resolve? cheers!
molly3, thanks for replying. It's been over 6 months for me but it was an epic fail from the word go. It got rid of some jowling from a bad fat transfer but that was the only benefit I could see tbh.

The longness did go slightly somewhat but not nearly enough. I also look very different and harsher, older and more masculine. It wasn't a change I liked nor wanted. I wanted it to be similar to my old implant but with a slightly better contour and 2mm more projection. Now I just look ridiculous.

From reading around the boards like arch wired it seems not a lot of people are happy when they get a genio in isolation as it can come out pretty badly on a few people for some reason and has a lengthening effect (particularly if you're like me and have a long maxilla).

What does the surgeon say? Q
Was going to say, luckily it can be reversed although it's not an easy operation.

Also some surgeons like to meet the ideal proportion lines, but if the rest of the face isn't right in that respect, then it throws the face out of balance. Sometimes the wrong way is the right way lol, I think that's what happened to me and I preferred the recession as it went with the flow of the face.
I had a specialist maxillo-facial surgeon in London. I don't think she did anything wrong at all, I think the effect of the change in face shape just doesn't suit the rest of my features. It is now almost 10 weeks post-surgery and my face looks quite different, the 'longness' is going. Most people have said I look younger ironically, but I disagree. All the comments I have had were along the lines of 'you don't look better or worse, just very different'. I would give it at least 3/4 months and then review how you feel. That is what i'm going to do.
Hi Molly, thank you for your review. I have just had SG surgery (7 weeks ago) and am unhappy with the result. I want a revision but the female London surgeon will not agree even though she did not follow our agreed placement of bone. Please tell me how things are for you now and if you had a revision. Appreciate any advice. Thanks Andrea
Molly who did your genioplasty? I have the same problem with the long face and older look from a genio, wish I'd kept my implant, it's awful.
Hi unoq, I am very unhappy with mine too. Who did yours? Can we exchange experiences?
Hi, I'm very sorry to hear that. I've sent you a message

Hi Molly -- Thanks for sharing your story so far. I never realised it would take so long to heal. :-/ Please keep us posted. I'll be following your blog.