Tomorrow will be my first appointment with a PS...

Tomorrow will be my first appointment with a PS about getting a TT. I have been seriously considering this for three years, but I just wasn't quite ready. Up until last year, I had never had surgery or been put under, so that was a huge worry. After having my gallbladder surgery last year, I now know what to expect on that front, and I'm not so worried about dying (lol) This is the surgeon that my sister used to have her eyes done and she was very happy with him. I hope I like him as well.

A few concerns I have
1. I am extremely active and teach fitness classes as a part time job - I'm worried about recovery time and time to regain my fitness level.
2. I am wondering since I have not had kids and am very fit if I will even need MR (my abs feel really hard and I can't feel any separation)
3. I'm not sure what to tell my co-workers. My two best friends know everything, my direct supervisor knows I'm planning a "surgery" but I didn't tell her what. It's the big boss and his crabby secretary that I'm worried about.
4. I wonder if I will need any lipo. I don't really want it, as I think it will increase recovery time, but I'd hate to go through all this and still not see that line down the centre of my abs!!

Before photos

I'm 5"2, 129lb and very athletic. Look how great I look when I pull up the extra skin! PS said that he almost always does MR, even in people with no kids. Apparently you get lots of fat under the muscle as well when you are overweight, so usually the muscles are stretched. He also said no lipo.

Think you look great, but again it's you in your own skin that has to feel it!
Thanks for the comment. :) I definitely don't feel great about how I look. That's why I'm here right? I feel like my body is almost perfect - if my bb was normal looking. When I pull up that extra skin I think I look like a million bucks. I am so excited about having this done I can hardly contain myself!!

Sept 23rd here I come!

OMG I'm so excited/nervous. I scheduled my surgery date. It's three months away. I have been working like crazy to get into the absolute best shape I can before surgery. I have a few reasons for that. #1 I think it'd be great if I could lose about 5 more pounds before surgery, #2 I want my recovery to be super fast, and being fit and healthy will help, #3 I want to see my results right away as soon as the swelling goes down! I figure I will lose some muscle tone during the month recovery off the gym, so I want to start with lots of muscle before I go!!!

My PS is going to send out a package including bloodwork requisition. The assistant told me any time in August I can go ahead and do the bloodwork. My final payment is due on Sept 9th, and my pre-op is Sept 11. I will keep you updated!

Good luck your going to look AMAZING!
Thank you so much! If I look anything like you I will be THRILLED!! I am planning a vacation a few months after surgery, and I want to wear a bikini soooo bad.
Good luck! Our surgeries are on the same date, but I am guessing you will recovery more quickly since it looks like yours will be less extensive.

5 days to go!

So today I took a zillion pictures of myself. I know that at some point I am going to be feeling miserable, wondering why I am doing this - I want to be able to look at all those horrid pictures of my saggy yukky skin to remind me. I took pictures in every single orientation you can imagine, so that I can compare myself any time I feel icky after surgery.

On and off I am feeling very nervous and very depressed. I am really apprehensive about taking four weeks off from working out. I am a fitness fanatic and I don't feel good when I have days off, so four weeks is going to be a real challenge. I also want to be careful when I do get back to it, because I do not want to un-do any of the fabulous work that my PS is going to do!!!

I just have to keep remembering how much greater I will be able to look once this is all healed and swelling is back down months later!! Some of the reviews on here have been really helpful, girls who are all finished and have six pack abs. I'll never have a shot at a six pack without getting rid of the extra skin rolls!!! Mark my words, ladies. I WILL have a six pack after this is all over!!!

Pics

I don't want to bombard you with before pics, but here's the worst

Hope you are doing well!
best of luck, I work out quite often also but you really don't need to do much more than walk after the surgery, you will be shocked on how nice your abs will look, and we stress over this surgery, pay a lot of money, go thru a lot so you don't want to mess anything up by working out too soon, it will all come back to you when your body is ready, hope all went well for you
Good luck tomorrow. .

PO day 2

So I went into the clinic Monday at 8. I had to wait for a while as they were running a bit late, but I was fairly calm. The PS marked me and took pics. I asked him if he could take the incision a little lower without ruining the results and he said yes, he can do that. I also had a strange request, and I think I may be the first person who has ever asked him this, based on his reaction, but I really want a photo of the hunk of skin they took off. He seemed very surprised but was willing to do it. He's a really nice man and he's been doing this a long time. He's probably had other weird requests over the years haha.

Anyway, I put on the compression stockings to wear during surgery. They didn't seem very tight, but the nurse was not concerned. She said as long as they measured for them then all was good.

The fellow I spoke to the most was the anaesthesiologist. He was a very happy sort of guy. You've got to remember that while the PS makes you look good, it's the anaesthesiologist who keeps you alive!! So I was glad to see he seemed peppy and alert. He took me back into the surgery suite and started an IV. This is a private clinic and the suite was waaay nicer than the operating room at the hospital.

He started me off with fentanyl, which made me feel drunk, then started the real stuff (not sure, maybe propofol) and told me to think of nice things while I fall asleep. The room got a bit spinny and then I was out.

So on waking up I was very groggy and cold. It took a while for me to wake up. I'm pretty sure I was saying stupid things to the nurse (I remember a few of them). I was very uncomfortable and in pain, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. The anaesthesiologist had told me they would put a local into the incision sit, so I think that helped a bit. I was really rushed out of there quickly, which was really the only negative thing I have to say about the clinic. The nurse put my clothes on and put me in a wheelchair and bye bye!!

When I got home I managed to make it upstairs and into bed. I am very thankful for strong calf muscles. This is how I did it- right foot lifts up while I raise onto the left toes and then up. My legs are very mobile compared to surgeries where they actually cut the muscle, so it was do-able. However, in hindsight, perhaps just doing the recliner downstairs would have been just as good. Hard to say because in bed I was able to sleep a bit on my side thanks to the freezing.

My first night I had a very bad experience. At some point during the night I was very uncomfortable and I wanted to get up and pee. It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to do. So I rolled around a bit trying to sit up. Finally I got myself seated up and my hubby was woken up by then. I started walking to the bathroom but I couldn't breathe. Either the binder was too tight or the pain was too bad. I started feeling very nauseous and I was going to pass out. My whole body was tingling and I couldn't hear properly. I was flushed and hot and sweating like a pig. Only now I was stuck on the toilet, not in bed. Hubby was wiping me with a cold cloth and waving magazines at me to cool me off. After about 15 min I was well enough to make it back to bed. That was the worst feeling I've ever had and I was absolutely panicked because I was on the verge of passing out!!!

I started to feel a bit better about 30 hours after the surgery. I was able to come downstairs and sit in a chair. I ate a bit of soup but I wasn't really hungry at all for day 1 after surgery.

So here I am now day 2 after surgery and feeling better still. At some point in the wee hours of the night, I started having real sleep with dreams, not just drug induced painful hazy sleep. I was able to roll on my side and sleep like that for a few hours. That is a BLESSING!! When I first roll over it is painful, but I stay there and let the pain subside and then it is more comfy. One hour after Percocet seems the ideal time to do this.

At some point today I am going to open this binder and adjust the gauze underneath. Yuck. Peeking in from the top I see a lot of dried blood.

Okay well I tried to be detailed because I find those reviews the most helpful.

Feel better I had he same experience. Can't wait to see these pics! I wanted to ask as well but didn't! I had a tattoo that was removed and just to see the removal part it's amazing what they do. Looking forward to seeing your nice & low incision and photos xo
*The same experience
Thanks. I wish they would warn you about the passing out and tell you what to do if it happens!! It seems so common.

Photo day 2

Love my new BB already!

aww you look amazing! Don't tug on that gauze but I'd call the surgeon to ask what to do about it. Maybe water will loosen it?
He said he will take it off if I go tomorrow. I kind of could use a shower, so it's prob a good idea.
I think the belly button was my first happiest thing, I loved it and still do !

Ugh

So I now have that horrible gas that everyone complains about on day 2/3. It's not horrible as in offensive smelling, but as in excruciatingly painful. I guess it's a side effect from anaesthetic? Thankfully this didn't happen on day 1. At least I'm a little healed to be able to drag myself to the washroom in case I poo. It feels the same way as a horrible diarrhea spasm. Sorry for the graphic details. I realize that my be tmi for some people.

The good news is that my pain when sleeping is low enough to sleep on my side. Yay!!

You look awesome! So tiny! and your BB is very cute :)

Day 3

As of this morning I've decided to cut my percocets in half. The pain is so much more bearable. After I posted last night about the pains I was having, I did end up having a bm, but it took about 45 min and now my back is killing me.

My PS said to try to walk straight right away, so I've avoided the back pain up until poomaggedon last night. Sigh.

PS called me yesterday to discuss a follow up visit. He said I could come today or wait until Sunday. I'd rather wait until Sunday, but I really need him to unstick this piece of gauze so that I can have a shower, so I'm going this afternoon.

I took off my binder long enough to snap some pics. I'm very swollen, but it looks darn good already. Loooooooooove that belly button!! It looks like a real one instead of a stupid frowny face!!

You look great! You are going to love your final results!
Looking good. .
Thanks! :)

Great sleeping

It's night #3 and I just had four hours of awesome sleep on my side. I don't think I moved a muscle. I am going to fill up on another 1/2 perc and attempt the rest of the night on my other side. So pleased.

Thank you! I wish I could rush through the recovery part. :)

Day 4 less pain

Okay at day 4 I am down to half a perc every 4-5 hours. I am able to get around the house fairly well but I'm only doing so when I need to because it's certainly not fun. I was able to cook myself breakfast this morning. It was a challenge but it was do-able.

I've been standing as straight as I can and my back pain has calmed down. I really only had one bad back day so far. Fingers crossed that it was the last. If that pain returns I will get sig other to dig out the heating pad.

DO NOT OVERDOSE SENOKOT! After poomaggedon I didn't poop for a whole day, so I decided to take another senokot last night. Now I have the trots. It's not easy to get to the toilet quickly at this point!!!

I have very lumpy, uneven swelling in my abdomen. I'm sure it will eventually go away, so I'm not worried about it. I'm also having itchy feelings in areas that are numb. Like it feels itchy in my belly button but I can't even feel the skin when I touch anywhere near there. It's a bit irritating. There is some pleating on my incision. I will try to get some photos later so I can track the healing progress.

Wow so glad you can stand straight! I still working on it but feel I am making progress. Happy healing!

Incision photos

Here's the photos of my incision. I'm totally not worried about any of the stuff I've noted here. Just keeping a record.

Awesome!
Looks great! I can't wait to sleep On my side again !

Day 4 report

So yesterday was day 4 post op. I managed to get out of the house for a treat. It wasn't bad but I was really worried that someone was going to bump into me so I kept a lot of distance from people. I was shuffling and had a time getting in and out of the car. Needed help from sig other, but it was worth it to get off my stupid couch. We were out for an hour or so, got ice cream. I was a bit extra sore last night but it was still bearable with the half percs. I'm thinking of switching to plain Tylenol or Advil soon. Tylenol doesn't seem to work great for me and I'm not sure if I'm allowed Advil, so I may wait for my appt Monday. We'll see how today goes. I'm really tired. I slept fine but I wake up halfway through the night when I need another pill, and I'm the kind of person that if I fully wake up it takes at least an hour to get back to sleep. :(

My. Incision area has been annoyingly itchy and I hate this binder. It's constantly riding up. I'm starting to get really bored of lying on the couch, but I'm not well enough to do anything else yet. Even sitting up for too long is uncomfortable. Blah.

The pulling and tightness is still there, but it is confined to beneath my new bb. Now it feels like a twenty pound weight has been glued to my skin and is dangling there. When I first got home on day 1, it felt like a grown woman had grabbed hold of my skin and was hanging off me with all her weight, while simultaneously standing on my belly. So the twenty pound weight is much better. :)

I plan on having another shower today! I'm so glad I was able to borrow a shower seat for this.

Pic

I made a before/3day pic

you looked so good before actually that after this all you are gonna look amazing, happy healing
Wow, you look great & standing so tall!
Thanks! :)

Day 6 update

Well I just got a whole lot better this morning! I feel significantly better. I took half a percocet last night at bedtime, and when I woke up during the night, the pain was not so bad that I decided to just go back to sleep instead of re-drugging. When I woke up in the morning, I was sore, but not too bad. I took another half percocet and that has taken away the pain. Now I feel great! Finally all the little things aren't hurting this morning. Making coffee didn't hurt my abs. Opening the fridge didn't hurt my abs. Going pee only slightly hurt my abs.

Another big problem is that I have not been able to pick up anything off the floor all week. It is super duper annoying to drop something and have to just leave it there for someone else to pick up. We take bending over for granted so much!! Well as of today, I am now able to fully squat down and pick stuff up off the floor. I am still staying fairly straight up and down in my back and torso, but the squatting is pretty comfortable.

So far day 6 is feeling darn good.

Last night I was feeling really cruddy, so bored of lying on my couch. My neck was actually getting stiff from lying on the couch! I asked my sig other to try to go for a walk around the block. We got down about five houses away and I started to feel a pulling in my belly. I really really don't want to mess up my results, so we turned around and went back. Now mind you, we were going so slow, it was probably a ten minute walk. It felt good to get out and move around a bit, and returning to the couch was more pleasant after that.

I am going to try really really hard to follow doctor's orders and not start exercising before I'm supposed to. This is going to be my biggest challenge because fitness is the main focus of my life, and it is so hard to be away from it. I at least have some choreography that I can learn from videos and do it from my couch, so I can live vicariously on that. :) Those of you that are fitness buffs will know what I mean! I already am fantasizing about going for a run.

I took a few photos but I look exactly the same as day 3, so I may or may not post them. I can't wait for the swelling to go down so I can see the definition in my abs. At least the lines down the sides again. Even with the extra skin I could see the lines down the sides, and down the middle when I stretched the skin up.

I agree with Kathy is ready that you looked pretty darn good BEFORE too but I totally understand your issues with that extra skin. You look like you're pretty young too so lucky for you that you can have many years of enjoying your new tummy. I wish I could have done mine 30 years ago!!! Happy healing!
You mentioned wanting a photo of the hunk of skin the surgeon took off. Well, I can tell you that a friend of mine who had her TT in Thailand requested to keep all the tissue that was taken off and to put it in a plastic bag for her! And they did!!! So I'm sure that requests like yours are not out of the ordinary. Your results look great so far!
OMG that's disgusting!! Where would she keep that!?!? I am wondering if I will be sick when I see the photo, but I'm just wanting to see how much they removed. Wow.

Pics

BB close up and another comparison shot.

I generally wear size 4, which can be pretty loose around my belly, but look what would happen when I sat down. Hideous!!! Even in pants that fit loosely, this bulgy gross skin would spill over the top. Sometimes I would tuck it into my pants, which is why I always wore them loose.

thanks for posting your pics, you are gonna be in a bikini in no time !
You look amazing already! It seems like your recovery is going smoothly also, very happy for you. You are right about leg strength. It has been my saving grace thus far. I was able to get to the bathroom myself even on the night of surgery, since I had the leg strength to push myself out of the recliner.
Wow on the first night! My first night was torture!! But I agree, strong legs and back have helped me a lot, I feel.

Day 8

Okay not much has changed over the last two days. I went and saw PS. He says I have to continue wearing this binder at least another week. I hate this binder. I hate it with a passion. I hate it more than anything I've ever hated before. It's tight, it's not breathable, it's sweaty, it's got blood stains on it, it's uncomfortable and it's too long. My PS did a drainless procedure, which reduces the need for the binder, as I understand, but obviously does not eliminate it. It is very uncomfortable to sit upright in this stupid thing because it is too long and I am a short girl. PS said some people cut their binder shorter, but I really need a serger in order to do that, and I don't own one. I will continue to suffer with this horrible thing for now. He did show me how tight he would make it, and I was wearing it a bit too tight, so that is a tiny relief.

I am able to do a lot more things now, but I am frustrated that I am not able to do more. I know this stage is only going to last a few weeks, but man - when you are sitting at home bored out of your gourd, uncomfortable and feeling crap - it feels like every hour lasts a day and every day is a new week of endless boredom and uncomfortableness.

I got my sig other to bring the vacuum out and I was able to easily vacuum around the furniture. That was nice as the cat hair is really starting to collect around here!! I wasn't able to get into all the nooks and crannies but it was good to get the big fur balls out of the way. I'm still having difficulty getting things off the floor, but I can do it in a pinch.

I have started to enter into the bad swelling stage. I am having a hard time fitting into my loose pants (with binder too). I look a bit preggers too. I know this stage will pass in a few weeks, so I will try to ride it out and not freak out. I remember after gallbladder surgery I still had some swelling months later.

Warning: the next paragraph is a rambling stream-of-consciousness rant. Read at your own risk of boredom and tmi!! :)

This is a truly emotional journey. Every surgery is pretty emotional, but this one has my own feelings of self-esteem and personal self worth wrapped up in it as well, which makes it more difficult. I literally just looked down as I was sitting here and my shirt was bunched up right where my roll used to stick over my pants. I had a little mini heart attack and then realized it was just my shirt. I can't imagine going through all this and then not being satisfied. That is my worst fear. That no matter what I do or how much surgery I have that I will never be satisfied with my body. I struggled with this even before going in. I wondered if I would go through all this and be no more proud of my body than I was before. As a fitness buff, I worked so so so hard to get where I was. I am already thin - I look great in clothes (95% of them anyway) and for most of the world, I look like a thin, fit person. So why am I so unhappy with having that skin? I'm almost 40, nobody will think twice if I don't wear a bikini or a bra top. I don't know. I also work with and around mostly 20 year olds who even if they are fat, they still have smooth tummies. Some people don't work hard at all and don't have the lumps and bumps I had. Sometimes I was embarassed to get up there and teach a class. When I do crunches all my skin bunches up and it looks like a fat roll. :( In the change room I couldn't lean over when dressing without feeling so horrible. When I was reaching over my head to put my shirt on I would feel great, because with the skin stretched you could see my abs. But when I stood there, arms down, all you could see is yuck. I think maybe if only my bb had been a round little circle, I wouldn't be so self conscious. I have a friend who is all stretch marks and loose skin, but she still has a little round bb and she teaches with a bra top. Today in the shower I was looking at my tummy, looking at the parts that I don't think he stretched far enough, how high the incision is, how my hip bone sticks out now, how it looks like a little dog ear is forming - all these insecurities started coming up. What if I lean over in a bra top and my skin still rolls at the top where he didn't pull it down? Why are there overweight people who still have the confidence to wear a bikini and I can't??? What is wrong with me? I think other than this appearance issue, I have really good self esteem. I'm not embarassed by my face or my dark circles under my eyes. I am not ashamed of the car I drive or how smart I am or by the money I make - all of which could use improvement. Why am I soooooo caught up on this "fatness" thing??????

Okay well if you read that and understood my rambling I am amazed. I considered deleting it, since it's not really coherent, but I think maybe there are some people who feel the same way and it always helps to know you aren't alone.

Ahahahaha I feel like you are telling my story in the last post. Honey there is nothing wrong with you!!! This is so normal to hate at least one thing on your body. For me it was my stomach after having the kids also. Mind you I would love to lose the second butt that grew under the original butt but for me my tummy area was and is so much more important. I am 10 months in and I still remember for the first 3 months after surgery thinking my stomach was going to go back. I think our minds play tricks on us. You are only 8 days, give it time you will start liking it after 6 months ;)
WOW..Your last post has me believing you are a mind reader. Please message me the Powerball numbers for tomorrow. Seriously you are not alone.
I think you have summed up how (probably) most of us feel. I try not to look to often, because I'll see something to fret about. You know your swelling is temporary. Soon enough it'll have been a waste of your time to worry about. Sorry about the the cg, I think I got lucky with mine. I have a second one I'd be willing to mail you if you want it. Its the 3 layer white one that's very adjustable. Just send me ur address if u do want it. No charge of course. From your pre pics, I'd be shocked if you weren't a freekin' knock out in a month. So hang in there.

Day 10 looking pregnant!!

Wow this swelling is yucky. I don't fit into my pants. I have to wear dumpy shorts and I feel fat. :( I hope this goes away over the next week. I won't be able to go back to work if I can't wear my pants!! The swelling is much worse than it was the first few days.

The last two days I have made small outings. (Today I went to two stores.) I can't believe how tiring that was. I actually had to have a two hour nap after that!!!

You are looking amazing! Thanks for sharing all your struggles, especially with lack of exercise and fears of still being unhappy with your body. I know you are going to be beyond happy when you get past the swelling and back to the gym. Be gentle, give yourself time and some grace. I am so jealous you are on the other side :)
I think the swelling peaks (for some?) about this time. I feel it too, but also got my monthly visitor, ate a package of cookies and just wanna nap..... I will make my self go walk today. Or what ever slugs do as they move :-)
I hope this is the peak and I'm on my way down!! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Soooo Sooooo Happy with results so far

So today I am going to officially update my review to say "worth it". I just tried on a whole load of my workout clothes and they look AMAZING. I normally wear high waisted shorts so that I can "tuck" my rolls into them. It smoothes out the look of my tummy. Well I tried on my shorts and guess what?!?!?! I can wear them as low as I want! My tummy is smooth!!!!!! I tried on all my tight workout tanks and none of them have that little bulge that I have to try to hard to cover or tuck in. I am so so happy.

So I don't know what day this is. Somewhere between 11 and 13 dpo. Today I am really exhausted. I'm not sure why. My body must be doing some major wound healing today. I slept in, got up reluctantly, and I'm kind of walking around like a zombie. I'm not worried about it, I'm sure my bod is working things out.

This morning I was not very swollen, and I am just now able to start using my abs again. I was able to get a few pics with my abs braced and I can see a bit of my definition returning under the skin. yay!

My biggest concern now is that little dog ear. As the swelling recedes, I can see it is starting to become a problem. I will point it out to the doctor when I see him next and see what he says. I guess there's still a chance it will flatten out as I heal. I have tried to capture a photo of it, but it is pretty hard to take photos of skin-coloured 3D bumps on an iphone camera. My doctor did say that anything like that will get fixed by him for free, so it shouldn't be a problem. I imagine that after ripping your skin up and pulling it down and reattaching it from hip to hip, it's not easy to make it line up perfectly on the first go.

My belly button still looks fantastic, and today after my shower some of the scabbing fell off it. In a few days I am having some of the bb stitches removed. The glue around my incision is starting to flake off now and I can see some areas are healing really well. The other areas it's hard to tell because they are still scabby.

I don't think I'll do much today since I am so tired. I am getting sick of TV and I can't concentrate on my book for too long, so maybe I will dig out some knitting or something.

Pic

I posted too soon. Here's another photo. Damn! I'm looking so good and still not even done my swelling phase. I'm so happy with the results!!

You look great! Nice to read a review that says what you are thinking/feeling also. I can't wait for the darn swelling to go as I am over it but you have given me a little bit of hope this morning so thanks :)
Thank you so much. :) As of today I am feeling so much better about things. I suppose it's all up and down. Today it's up. :)

Seeing PS today

So I am sure that most of us looked up the negative reviews of tummy tucks on here before deciding what to do. I have seen a few with very disgusting wounds. Last night I really freaked myself out. My bellybutton, which I can't see very well, looks like maybe there is a little bit of a hole in it. Well I am very very good at over reacting and freaking myself out. I can't even tell if there is actually a hole or not, but I spent an hour imagining that wound getting bigger and bigger until my entire bb is ruined and my TT is ruined.

Thank goodness I have an appointment today with the PS. I hope he tells me I'm being ridiculous.

I look forward to following your recovery journey. You and I have a similar athletic body type. You are looking great!

Good news

So it turns out that I'm just a hypochondriac! The doctor pulled this string of yellow gooey glue out of my bb. That was what looked like the hole. My mind gets out of control at times. Sheesh.

So he removed a bunch of stitches, only a few left now. My bb was bleeding just a touch, there's a spot on the gauze padding. I'm assuming that's normal, since he dislodged a bit of scabbing etc. he is pleased with how the bb is turning out, and so am I.

With respect to the possible dog ear, he said he waits a good 8 months before fixing it because they can resolve on their own, and it's too early to tell if it will remain. If he needs to fix it, it's a quick fix under local. So everything is going well.

He also said I can ditch the binder at night. Yay! I cut a bit off the bottom, and that has helped, but I still hate it.

My bb looks like a spider lives in it! Still odd shaped with web of scabs. But I'll hang in there, what else can I do? Yours looks great!
Can you take a close up of your bb? Your pics look totally great to me. I'm sure that all the scabs will dislodge soon.
I put a few pics up. I think I need a flash light to really see in there! A spelunkers hat? Lol!

Day 14

Okay so I am starting to develop a bit of feeling back near the incision. I can feel some sensation along the incision line except directly below my new bb. The thing is, it is super freaky. I keep on feeling like the clothes are rubbing me along my upper abdomen, but it is actually near the incision. That skin used to be located up around my belly button, and it is now down by my underwear line. If I run my hand along the incision, it feels like I'm being touched near my belly button!! It's freaky and mildly unpleasant. Hopefully my mind/body connection re-adjusts for this feeling over time. My incision area is a bit sore the last few days. I'll admit I've been poking at it a bit trying to remove the glue and crusty scabs. The incision below the scabs is looking pretty good.

Two.point.five weeks

Well I'm at two and a half weeks. I'm still suffering and getting annoyed about it. I feel like I shouldn't have pain anymore, so I'm bothered that I'm having a lot of soreness today. I did a lot of shopping yesterday, so I'm sure that contributed.

I'm still concerned about my belly button. It looks open to me in one area, and it's oozing a bit of gross goo. I don't see ps for another week. I am trying to stay relaxed about it. Some of the other girls are having a bit of oozing too. It gets goofier when I use the ointment that ps gave me, but I don't want to quit using it because it's antibiotic and I think that's important.

I have a photo of the Halloween costume I got - one I could not have worn last year due to rolls!

Just now reading your review. You're looking good already. Give it time and you will look amazing.
Looking good! Congrats
Thanks. :)

Belly button update

I did some research on this site and talked to my doctors office. The doctor said that he is not concerned about this type of oozing (clear and no smell) from the bellybutton. He said it is fairly common after removing bellybutton stitches. From the other things that I've read on this site it is not very worrisome. The doctor told me to clean the bellybutton out with a Q-tip and apply ointment. Keeping it moist with the antibacterial ointment will promote healing.

Otherwise, I feel like I'm about 17 months pregnant due to all this swelling. I had pizza last night which was probably not a great idea.

You look great! I think your belly button looks good compared to mine. My doc. just say's they take the longest to heal. Be patient.:)
Looking great! We are at about the same point in our recoveries, I am day 17 today. You are right, it seems like forever sometimes! It's frustrating to not be able to do everything we think we should be doing.
You are looking great too! Major difference!!!

2.5 week incision pics

Most of the scabbing is gone. Just a couple of tiny yucky bits.

"Swell Hell"

I'm beginning to understand why people call this "swell hell". It is truly truly horrendous, depressing and uncomfortable. My clothes don't fit. I have worked so hard over the last few years to get myself down to this size. I spent years hating the way I looked because I was fat, then I hated the stupid droopy skin. I finally got to the point where I was thin and looked great in my clothes and decided to do something about the rolls. Well now I am back to being puffy and thick. My clothes feel gross and I still have some amount of roll left in my upper abs just under my boobs. My tummy is swollen and I can't bend over properly because there is so much swell there. It feels like back when I was fat and it was uncomfortable to bend over because of my enormous flabby belly. I feel gross and disgusting. I just feel so uncomfortable all the time. The last two days I have been swollen right from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed. The binder doesn't help. Who invented this crappy thing anyways? How many more weeks of this will I have to go through? I've read that some people go half a year with swelling issues. :( I didn't know just how sh*tty and depressed that this would make me feel. Lot of girls are saying that week six is a turning point. Oh my god I'm not even halfway there. :(

wow it seems like this is always the worse time for everyone, you quit hurting and feel like doing things and you still cant do a lot of them, then the swelling starts, I thought I was just not gonna swell too much then it hit, I felt like the Pilsbury dough boy, I wanted to rip my clothes off and not go anywhere, somehow I think it messes with your emotions as well, my bad swelling did not go on for months.  Didn't seem to matter what I ate or drank but I did do the cucumber water, pineapple, bromelain tablets and drank water, I think it did help, I think better than not doing it at all, but it is your body repairing itself (is what I heard anyway) and I think if we all could we would go hide somewhere from about weeks 3 or 4 - 6.  But just know it will go away, it is miserable and annoying, but your belly is gone, just keep remembering that, everything will fit well and then some very soon !
You are right it messes with your emotions!!
I'm the same day as you. OMG... Got the swells last night and has not let up since:( We have a long road ahead. I'm afraid to eat! Lol!

the blahs

Last night I started having those feelings of "was this really worth it?". I knew that I would get those feelings, but somehow I thought they would be melodramatic and easily dismissed by looking at my before pics. I didn't expect it to be a real doubt, right down in my core. I'm wondering how I am going to go back to teaching. I've only booked four weeks off, and I teach a very high impact, high cardio class. I deffo won't be able to do crunches or hovers in a week and a half. I can't imagine doing a plyometric lunge - it actually makes me feel sick to my stomach to think about it. When I went for a walk two days ago, I felt out of breath just walking and talking. My lung capacity is way smaller now that those muscles are tightened.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am afraid. I'm afraid that I can't teach and/or that I can't be an effective instructor when I can't even do it myself. I hope I get my fitness back quickly. I hate feeling out of shape.

The good news is that I am feeling less swollen this morning and I have a few pics to share.

Pics

wow, i would love to have your bod! incision looks great too!
You have a great bod too!! You are looking good. :)
lookin good !

There is a giant hole in my body

I went to the doctor today. He opened up the oozing area. A giant gush of fluid came out. (Giant as in compared to the oozing). It is mostly clear but pink from blood. He stuck qtips right in the hole to suck up the fluid. But he left me with this big hole! He did not seem concerned about it, and I didn't really look at it until I got back to work. It's a big, deep, open hole. He doesn't even want to see me until Sunday!! I'm not sure I can emotionally handle this!! I'm scared of infection! I'm so creeped out!

Good luck with the belly button - hope today you feel it's started healing. I read the bit about getting back to work. I just started dancing at 6 weeks and there's no way I could be doing any gym stuff. Dancing is hard. I'm due to go away for a weekend at just over 7 weeks and I'm seriously worried that it will be too soon. Disappointed in slow recovery but still thinking it will be worth it in the end.
How should you care for your BB until your Sunday visit?
Sorry about the trouble you're having :( I am 8 days po and I understand the tightness you explain, it's worrying me as well. My husband keeps telling me to just be patient, it's hard though isn't it? I sincerely pray that you start feeling better hun! Is there any way to get some more time off of work? I don't know what your ps would think of you doing all that incredibly strenuous exercise..I can't think of doing anything until after 6 weeks. Sending you *hugs*. Pm me anytime you want to talk :)

BB improvement I think

I will write more about what the doctor actually said when I am at my computer. I did call him yesterday and everything seems to be okay. This morning it seems to have closed in.

Glad to hear all's well! Looks like it'll heal fine!
I'm going on a cruise at 10 weeks. I am thinking most issues should be gone by then. I hope so anyway. Especially the swelling. And with all the food on cruises, I hope to be back to my exercise routine by then!!!
He said I can still shower, keep it covered with gauze (I went and bought sterile pads for the job) and put the antibiotic ointment around the area. He also offered when I called back that I can come in sooner if I feel I need to.

call with doctor

So I wrote a bit on the chat board about calling my doctor. Basically after I posted the picture of the hole yesterday, I started really freaking out. Like I basically started panicking and I showed the hole to some friends at work and they thought it looked scary too. Then one of them asked me what I'm supposed to do to it and I couldn't even remember what the doctor said as far as caring for it. So I was trying to keep it together and call the doctor back and when they answered I just lost it and burst into tears on his assistant. I'm sure she gets that frequently because she was really good about it and got the doctor right away on the phone.

So he explained to me that the hole is just a small hole (in my mind it is HUGE). The hole is the size of the qtip head, and goes straight down. He was not able to sweep the qtip around, the hole is just the size of the qtip and no bigger. He said that the fluid that came out looked completely clear (blood tinged, but clear) and so there is absolutely no sign of infection. He said that this is not rare, he does see this fairly often. The wound is very much under tension around the bb, so this is a common spot to have problems. It was basically just a trapped pocket of fluid. He feels that now that it has been released that the hole should heal up quickly. He also told me that I can still shower, and to just keep the area clean and covered with gauze and a bit of ointment in the area.

He was really great and told me that I can call anytime I have a concern and that if I want to come in sooner than Sunday that would be fine. He said he is not worried one little bit about this hole and that it will not affect the results. He really made me feel so much better. I went from near-nuclear to feeling fine about this and realizing that it is just a little hole that will go away (hopefully with no more bursting events).

As of this morning, it looks like the hole is closing in. I hope that it heals properly and doesn't start re-collecting fluid. I know some people have holes that need to be packed and take weeks to heal. Hopefully this hole does not turn out to be a problem like that. But I feel reassured that I am not going to lose my belly button or have horrible scars because of it.

I talked to him about starting to work out too. I told him I don't think I'm ready to go back to teaching next week and he said he thought that was a good idea to give it another week. So next week I may start doing low impact stuff, but I'm not going to jump into teaching right away.

I'm so happy you ranted oct 1st I think your day 8 PO I totally feel the same way! Thanks for your blog it has helped me feel like what I'm going through is normal bc others are going through similar situations! Hope your bb hole closes soon :)
Lookin gr8:-)
Thanks. :)

Gym time

Last night I attempted some very gentle cardio. Like didn't actually even sweat 15 minutes. It felt weird and I don't want to mess with my bb hole. I will do that again today. I see PS tomorrow and will get more detail about how hard I can push with this bb hole (that isn't really a hole anymore)

Glad to see another review from a fitness instructor! I took 4 weeks off from teaching my spin class and hope that was enough...spin is not so high impact so I was thinking I would be ok- plus I can "fake" it some in there with my resistance...Great review! Looking good!

Gym report

Today I did about 40 min of step class. I did only the step, no risers, and I stayed low impact. No jumps, no bouncing. I had a slight sheen of sweat and deep breathing but not heavy. So that went well and I feel okay after doing that much. I'm not officially supposed to exercise until Monday, but it's close enough as far as I'm concerned. My abs felt very tight. There's no way in hell I could do a plank or any an work at this point.

Hey! Cool! I'm glad I can help other instructors. :) Based on my experience so far, I think four weeks isn't quite enough to take off teaching. The leaning forward and pedalling for spinning may be a problem and also any fast paced spinning is going to be hard. After four weeks off, I did a bit of step yesterday and my legs are sore. I went really light too. I am taking two more weeks off teaching. I am going to participate so I can slowly get my body back into it. Of course at about week three you will probably have a better idea of how your recovery is going. I really had rose coloured glasses on when I was picturing my recovery. I thought because I am so fit that it would be way faster than most people. While I do seem to be better off than most, I'm def not in teaching shape. Keep your alternate instructors on speed dial just in case. :) The real upside for us is that we will look so fantastic once recovery is over and those muscles pop out!!
Thanks. I am starting to realize that lots of us feel that way.

Day 27 bb update

So I saw the doctor again today. He said he wants the hole to heal from the bottom up. Fat tissue heals slower than skin, so it needs to heal under the skin before the skin is allowed to heal over. He disrupted the top of the hole where it was starting to close over. So I am back to having an open hole. However, he thinks it will probably be healed up within a week. He left a bit of gauze jammed in the hole so that it doesn't fully close over right away. He is going to do the same thing again on Wednesday.

By the way...

I am feeling AWESOME about the results. Yesterday when I started getting sweaty at the gym, I pulled up my top to let my belly breathe. Even with the gauze over my bb I had super confidence showing my abdomen. It felt amazing. I was getting lots of compliments from my fellow instructors about how slim I look. I am so happy with the results.

I'm so happy you are thrilled with your results.  I'm so very happy too!
So happy for you! I have an appt today and hope I will be allowed back to some cardio at least! Hubbya says I'm flabby :( lol! Dork! Do you know how long most take to get back to where they left off 4 weeks ago? I'm anticipating ~4-6 months?
I'm not sure for specifically TT. My friend was off for three months for a broken arm and she said it was about eight weeks before she got back to pre-injury condition. After my gallbladder surgery it was only about three weeks, but that recovery was super easy compared to this. I think 4-6 months is an over estimation for general fitness but maybe as far as abs go, it's longer?

Gym report

Okay so I am giving detailed gym reports because I wish I had been able to read some before my journey. So it's not because I think everyone cares about my workouts! :) Just in case you were wondering why I'm going on and on about it. haha

So on day 27 I took the day off because the doctor fiddled with the bb hole and I didn't want to wreck it.

On day 28 I did a whole step class. Again no risers and no impact. I did really have to hold myself back during some parts of the workout because I was feeling ready to push a bit. However, I am going to stick with my policy of not being stupid and not pushing myself too hard and injuring myself or screwing up my results. I still am generally sore in my entire belly area, with some spots being worse than others, so I know that I am not finished healing. Oh and still way to sore to even think about attempting planks or pushups or crunches.

The great news is that after class, I put on my underpants covering my scar and strutted around the changeroom with confidence. I feel so confident I never would have imagined how great it feels. I thought I would be very self conscious about the scar and very worried about hiding it, but I was not preoccupied like I thought I would be.

Anyway, it's all good and today I'm wearing clothes I would never dare to wear before the surg.

BTW, thanks for posting excersise info! How are you handling your calories working out and healing? I still would like to lose fat and gain muscle so I'm not a scrawney chic. So I'm not sure I should target less than 1200 net calories per day, once I'm allowed to work out. Thought maybe I'd target a 100-200 calorie day burn for the first week, then step it up in increments of 100 each week. Do you have a plan? Or opinion?
Hmm good question. I actually don't count calories, so I'm not sure. During my time at home, I def ate less than before surgery. Probably 300 or 400 less. (Except for a few cheats that I'm not feeling so proud of lol.) I would guess I eat around 1700 cal per day normally. If you eat too low when trying to lose fat you can screw up your metabolism. I stick to unprocessed foods and I actually eat quite a bit. That's what works for me anyway. I do feel like over the last 4 weeks I've gained a pound or two, so I'm looking forward to getting back to my routine.
Thanks!

not so good gym day

Last night I went to do a class, and I felt a painful tugging in my upper abdomen. It's a spot where I am still feeling a lot of achiness and pulling, but last night it just didn't feel right. So after three songs at very very low intensity, I gave up and left. I think after the step class the day before my abs needed a day off. I have an appt today for him to look at the hole in my bb, so depending on what he does/says, I will try to get to step class tonight. I'm really enjoying step at the moment because it's easy to do low impact without looking out of place from the other people.

For anyone following the bb hole saga - on day 27, he left that little bit of gauze in the hole so it would heal up from the bottom up. He said the gauze would probably fall out in the shower the next day. Well it didn't. But I didn't want to leave it in the hole, because now it was all wet with soapy gross water. So I pulled it out. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but whatever. During that day, I could see the hole sort of closing in again and it was really oozy, so I kept using sterilized swabs to keep the hole open and soak up the crud. At some point it sort of stopped trying to close at the top. I go again today, but I will post a photo of what it looks like now.

BB hole

The hole looks good! My abs just aren't ready for a step class!
It's almost totally closed in today. Yay! I tried step again last night and it went really well. The spot in my upper abs that felt like I had a meat hook in there finally dissipated. Lower abs are still sore but I swear the exercise is helpin to loosen it.

More gym report...

Day 30 - waaay better than day 29. On day 29 I had serious pulling/pain when exercising so I left after 15 min. On day 30 I did step again and it was great. I was able to use a set of risers and I was doing some of the gentle impact. I was coming right off my bench. I was very tired, way more exhausted than before op, but I was happy to have some of my mobility back.

Day 31 - I went to my high impact class as a participant again. This time it went a lot better. I did do the whole class. I was doing light jogging but nothing high impact, so no jumping jacks (too painful), no plyo lunges (I would probably die)... I was able to do some jumping straight up and down, but I couldn't reach my hands over my head while doing it. That was too much stretch in the abdomen and felt bad. By the end of class I was very tight in the abdomen.

I am going to work on regaining my range of motion by doing more stretching of the abs. Nothing crazy, just gently stretching that area daily and doing reaching type stuff. I still would not be able to do any ab strengthening stuff, pushups, planks, crunches etc. I think that will be weeks before my abs are healed enough to support that.

BB hole is smaller but I'm surprised it hasn't totally closed up yet. I wish that would close up so I can bare my belly during exercise.

No swelling this morning

I woke up this morning with almost zero swelling! I am extremely pleased with my results. My scar is still really purple, I hope it starts fading soon. BB hole is teensy tiny but is really lingering! Just close already! It's the size of the qtip stem now. My bb looks like a black pit because of the dark purple was of the scar. I've started massaging the scar a few times a day.

Last night I skipped workout because I was still very tight from the night before. Today I'm back to step. I think I could probably co-teach step on low options, I'll think about that for today. I'm going to add photos of this am.

You look great! You have inspired me, I think I am going to bravely go to the gym Monday and try some eliptical. Hubby ordered me a bike trainer today so I'll be ready to ride when it gets here with the colder weather..Brrrr!
:) Awesome! Let me know how it goes.
You look GREAT! I am short waisted too so I feel you.

five weeks

I think I will be updating less frequently because there's just less to say now! My bb hole is still annoyingly open, but soooo small. I keep on thinking it is finally going to close, but the blaggarty thing keeps hanging on. I really want it to close so I can have a bath!!

I shopped for a bikini on the weekend. I have never worn a bikini in my life. I was amazed that they all covered my scar no problem. It seems high to me (although it is still moving down, I can see the progression.) Then I shopped for a dress. OH MY GOD that was amazing. For the first time in my life I put on these dresses and they all looked good. I didn't have to pick apart the image in the mirror. I didn't spend my time figuring out how to suck in to make it look good. The dress just looked good. Right from the start. I won't have to wear a spanx or pull up my panty hose to my eyeballs to conceal a roll. It looked so good. This surgery was worth it so much. It just has washed away all those horrible feelings I had about myself, my body and my appearance. I feel like my outside finally matches my inside.

As for the gym, at 5 weeks PO, I am now able to do a bit of impact. I'm still not able to do jumping jacks (too much pulling). Moves with my arms overhead are difficult, and if I do anything too jerky it causes muscle spasms in the lower abs. Very unpleasant. Some moves with lifting the knees or kicking are okay at the beginning of the workout but by the end I have to just sort of do it half-assed because it starts to hurt. I have not attempted a plank or pushup yet, but will maybe try a quick one tonight, just to test. I feel ready to test it out. Plus I can tell my upper body strength has really suffered. I've done a bit of lifting light weights and my shoulders are definitely weaker than before.

Five week pics

Fantastic! Do you swell up again during the day?
Wow! You are healing beautifully! I was wondering how you made out with going back to work. Glad to hear it's going good. However, *please* keep listening to your body and don't overdo it! You look great, so happy for you!!!!
Wow Pics today look fabulous! Glad you are feeling pretty good. Please keep us posted.

Six weeks!

Okay so tomorrow is my six weeks surgaversary. :)

My bb hole finally closed in yesterday, although I feel like if I gave it a good poke it would open again. Man that was a slow healer. In a few days I am going to start taking baths again. I miss bubble baths sooo much!!

I also often get this disturbing, itchy feeling that feels like it's inside my belly button. However, I think it is actually the skin at my incision. That skin used to be right near my belly button, and now it is irritated and I am having referred sensations. It's gross and creepy. Sometimes there is a very sharp burning pain with it.

Swelling - I still usually look great in the morning, very hippy by the afternoon, and very soft and hippy at night. It's still preferable to my before, so I am okay with it. I really really can't wait until the swelling is gone for good.

The gym - well oh boy, this has not been going as I had pictured it before surgery. I have been going every day, but only participating. I am not back to teaching yet. I have team taught a few tracks, but I can't finish a whole class teaching on my own.

Here's what I mean by that. I start out good, I have lots of energy, everything feels great. Then sometime during the workout, there will be a spot where the muscles in my abdomen start to tighten up. It becomes very painful and starts to feel like an injury. Those of you who work out a lot probably know what I mean. It's not good pain/good tightness, it's the bad kind. So at that point, I either need to take a break, stop, or go way way low.

So for being a participant, I think my progress is pretty good. Each day I am able to do a little more. I am now doing almost all of the moves, some just a little less energetically than before. I am doing jumping jacks, jogging, kicking, high knees (that one is a little harder with my knees not up as high as before), squats, lunges and weight lifting (no abs).

I have started to do some planks and a very very few crunches. I can't do anything that requires isolating my lower abs. I think that was where my major muscle repair occured. Those muscles just don't actually even work yet. I can't lift both legs at the same time even if I try. Squats can be very uncomfortable and pull a lot. I think they must use more lower abs than I assumed!

So for anyone who is a fitness addict - the news is pretty good. At six weeks I feel about halfway there. For fitness instructors, well, book a lot of time off. I'm thinking I won't be ready to teach a class until 8weeks. Now if it were my only job, and I really depended on the money, I could fake it and just tell people "tuck jump" and not do it myself sort of thing, so it's not the end of the world if you can't get the time off.

I am loving my new body! I purchased a home weight lifting system, because now that I don't have all that droop hiding my middle, I want to get super-ripped.

Hi there, amazing review! The part about the emotional journey sounds like I wrote it, i am only 23 but after 5 stone weight loss I have been left looking like I've had 3 kids! I have battled with my stomach for the last 4 years exercising 6 days a week twice with a trainer... I feel so 'diddled' basically I have worked sooo hard and to still have this! Anyway just thought id say thank you for such an insightful review , I am booked for 11th Nov and feeling more ready with every review i read :) xx
Yep I know what you mean!! You work so so so hard and you will never see the full results of all those hours and all that sweat and pain. You will, though, after this operation!! Now all the hard work will finally pay off. I have said it before - I finally feel like my outside matches my inside. It's very frustrating knowing what kind of body you have earned and to not be able to enjoy it. Good luck on the 11th!!
I admire your fortitude. I had a ton of abdominal work done. My muscles were completely severed. My PS said NO crunches for six months. Light exercise at six weeks, high impact at three months but absolutely no crunches for six months. Says surgically repaired muscled heal more slowly than muscles that heal on their own. Says muscles will be at 60 percent strength at 3 months, 75 percent at 6 months and 100 percent at a year. You can look it up on this site too! I only worry because you've been through and paid so much you don't want to set back. In this case, doing nothing is hard but worth doing:) did u ask your PS?

Finally a no swell morning!!!

Seven weeks minus two days:

Last night in bed I was touching my tummy and for the first time I felt my hard muscles under there instead of just firm swelling. Sure enough when I got up I have pretty much no swelling. Not just low swelling. Like almost none. Just a touch on the left belly area. This coincides with me feeling a lot less general pain. It's still there, but it has reduced significantly on the last few days.

I'm looking forward to what the next couple if weeks brings.

That's awesome! I cant wait to have stomach muscles again! Im almost there! Im still pretty hard stll but soon!

Seven weeks

Well I have definitely turned a corner here. The lack of swelling has continued. I can now see some of my ab definition returning. (Not that I ever had a six pack or anything - just a bit of definition). I can feel my skin over my abs, instead of it all just feeling the same.

There is still some swelling, I can't pinch my skin like I used to be able to. There is also still the hippy look going on, but it is much less than it was before.

My abs are still sore almost constantly, and the other day I was feeling pretty good so I tried doing this tricky ab move. That was not a good idea. I'll be sticking to regular low range of motion crunches and planks for another few weeks. I need to take some photos to upload.

You look fantastic so pleased you feel you have turned a corner just imagine how good we are all going to feel by 4 months ( fingers crossed ) ; )
Lookin gr8:-) How's ur abs now??
That's great your tummy's softening! Mines starting to from the outside and slowly headed inward. I cant wait! You are looking good!

Week 7 photos

As you can see, my scar is still pretty dark. I just started using bio oil. I look forward to it lightening.

More pics

No kidding! I can't wait to get back to proper an workouts and really see what's under there! :)
Still doing well as far as swelling. I'm also still disappointed at the fact I'm not able to do my ab workouts. It gets pretty painful the next day if I push too hard.

ugh

I just had a giant coughing fit because I inhaled a piece of almond. It was horrible. It goes to show just how far my abs still have to go as far as healing. I feel like someone has punched me in the gut. Ow.

I just sent a text to my sister saying the same thing...I want to get ripped. Counting down...only 8 more weeks till I can crossfit again....hating that some of my muscles are withering away...losing weight but know it is my muscles going away. Sadness. Oh well, I can get them back and this time with a 6 pack!! :)))) Keep up the happy healing!
Ur to funny:-) this made me laugh:-) x
Argh! I feel your pain! 8 more weeks is a long time. Are you able to do other things to start to get back gradually before jumping into crossfit? Abs are going to be the last thing to be able to work, but isolated upper and lower body movements will come earlier. Stuff like jogging and lunging were the first to be okay for me. I can now do most arm work with no problem (like chest press, curls, extensions etc.). I can't do as much compound movement as I would like. I can now do weighted squats at seven weeks (like with dumbells, not giant weights), but that was a long time coming. Still no tuck jumps, extremely limited crunches... When I do exercises on my bench, I have to roll awkwardly onto my side to get back into a sitting position because I have a hard time sitting up from lying flat. We will get there! And we will look fantastic!!!

Argh - injury

Well I managed to do it. On Thursday I didn't feel so good, so I wanted to skip the gym. Due to various reasons I ended up going anyway. Well I should have paid attention to my body and stayed home. I have managed to hurt something inside. For a couple of days it has been very painful around my belly button, and the swelling came back with a vengeance. I am five pounds heavier than last week due to swelling and I'm back to looking pregnant.

So I thought I would be able to get back to teaching this week, and I was on track, but now I think I am going to need another several weeks. This week I think I won't do any gym at all. It is a pretty sharp and deep pain when I laugh or do a lot of moving around. I have had Fri and Sat now with no gym and it is still not good. :(

I am pretty mad at myself because I should not have gone on Thursday when I was feeling sore already. I should have taken the day off. One day off on Thursday would have maybe saved me the whole week off now. stupid stupid stupid.

my doc didn't wanting me doing ab work for quite a long time and my abs stayed in nice shape during this, we just cant push it, but you know that, I know it is like if we look better we want to even get in better shape but we don't want to undo or mess up all the work we did have done, hang in there
Yeah I think the an work needs to be the last thing that we work on. I'm thinking at least another month before any more an work.
Ab work, not an work. Why does iPhone hate abs so much?

week 8

Well my injury is feeling much better after several days of doing nothing. Seriously, I have even been avoiding laughing. I normally weigh about 126, but after the injury I was hovering at 131!! All swelling and mostly in my belly. Gross. It has started to go down today, I am down to 129 and my belly is looking better. I should have taken a photo but it was too depressing. It doesn't hurt anymore, but I am going to stick to my plan of no gym until Thursday.

My scar is still dark. It's pretty thin in most places now, but still very purple. I hope that starts to fade out soon. It's most important on my belly button, where people may actually see it. I figured on my vacation in three weeks I can always dab a bit of makeup on top of it to help.

As for my incision line - it's really starting to flatten down. I had one area in the middle that poked out like a big gross dog ear, and it is almost completely flat now. the little dog ear on the side is still there, but has definitely flattened out a bit, so I may not need any revision there. That is very good.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is that my belly button is very deep. I am not sure why he did it that way - maybe to make it more natural looking in the end, because it kind of aims down. Anyway, it looks great, but because it is deep, I noticed that I went to clean it and there was some smelly stuff in it. That is so gross. My mom said to use rubbing alcohol on a q-tip like they do with babies. I hope that as the scar continues to soften that it opens up a bit and isn't quite as deep. I will use a qtip every night for the rest of my life if I have to, but I don't particularly want to. :/

I think we have the same bb. Mines just as u describe yours. I wish it weren't so deep too but maybe the stalk was short. maybe it was like that before and I never noticed. You look great!
Yeah I guess they have their reasons for doing it that way. It is yucky but I guess most people won't be trying to stick their fingers up it (I hope!) so it should be fine. :)
I'm thinking it'll get better when all the swelling goes down..

Back at the gym... take two

Okay after my self-imposed week off, I went back to the gym last night and it was amazing!! I feel so much better now, and so much more "normal". I finally have back my range of motion. I can jump up and actually extend my arms overhead, for example. I can sink down low in a squat without pain etc. I feel that I have really made progress as far as healing enough to work out.

I am still definitely not where I was. I still can't do abs. Crunches are very weird. It's not that it hurts, exactly. It's more like I just can't do them. My abs just don't work. And if I push too hard, they are quite sore the next day. My lower abs are the worst. If I try to do reverse crunches I can't even lift my butt off the floor.

I also have really lost my cardiovascular capacity. I taught four tracks last night, and by the fourth I was totally winded. My muscles were okay to go and I wasn't physically tired, but man! I couldn't catch my breath! I haven't felt that way since I started teaching years ago. I hope that improves quickly. I guess after 8 weeks of doing nothing or close to nothing, this is totally expected. :)

Other than that, I have noticed something in my belly button. Possibly ooze or something, but there's so little of it I can't be sure. Belly buttons are gross. I've never paid so much attention to my bb until now. :) I think there may be a section inside that is still a little scabby.

Ok I'm a freak day 8 is me. U just repeated everything I've thought and said. I am terrified that I will feel the same way after. I don't know why I am this way but I feel like there are a few of us who are just cut from the same cloth and there are A LOT of women who feel exactly like day 8 everyday. I pray for both of us day 8 thoughts are fewer and farther between. Thank you. Thank you thank you
Day 4!!! OMG those pix look just like the old me. I'd wear size 6 or 8 and they'd look totally fine standing then I'd sit and look like a heifer. So stupid I'm so thankful we never have to look.down at that again. Going back to say 8 now :) reading on commercial breaks
Thank you, times a million! I don't mind your "workout" updates AT ALL b/c you're right--it's hard to find people on here who are instructors and fitness fanatics and wanting to get back into hardcore fitness like we do! I'll be following your progress, but what you've written already is SO helpful! I'm going to refer to your page often, I'm sure, once I'm post-op and experiencing some of the same things you've already experienced. Your "rant" from day 8 was spot on. You've voiced every insecurity and issue I've dealt with and am currently dealing with. I've gained and lost hundreds of pounds over the years. I've lost over 60 lbs. since March (of course, I've done this before!) but I really feel like fitness has made the difference this time around. Getting certified to teach classes has kept me accountable and less likely to rebound to my old weight. I try really hard to eat clean, but I'm certainly not perfect. My tummy has been this giant albatross around my neck since even BEFORE kids. I remember being a teenager and having a little pooch--genetics. I can thank both Mom AND Dad for the body type. So I loved reading your rant--it absolutely hit home. Keep posting! Love reading about your progress and results! You look GREAT! Your tummy looks amazing! Can't wait to join you on the flat side! And hang in there with the fitness--think about it--it's only been 2 months. That's nothing. Remember how long it took you to get conditioned the first time around, and that was WITHOUT an injury to battle. You'll get there again. Give it time and play it safe. (I'm telling you this so YOU can remind ME of this same thing in two months time!) :)

Nine Weeks!!

Wow! Time flies. I can't believe it's been nine weeks!

So finally finally finally, the tightness is gone during normal daily activities. I still don't have the mobility for stretching that I had pre-op, but I feel normal when I'm just standing around.

I have been doing a weightlifting program for the last month (minus my injury time), and I am starting to see some definition returning in my abs. Yay!!! I tried to post pics but it didn't work. I will try again after I post the update.

When I do the weightlifting, I am using dumbells, not anything heavier than 30 lbs. I don't think it's a good idea at this point to be squatting huge weight or leg presses, that kind of thing. I think it would pop my stitches all back open on the inside. I will save any super heavy work for several months down the line. It's amazing how much you can do though with body weight and these dumbells!!

My biggest problem is doing stuff on my back, because I find it hard to get back up to sitting. When I'm on the bench doing a chest press, it is a real struggle to get back up to sitting. Sometimes my sig other helps me up. Other times I roll around to try to get on my side so I can sit up. It's probably pretty comical to watch.

Well I don't have much else to say. :)

Week 9 pics!

More week 9 pics

a few more thoughts

I will be honest. The surgery has taken away about 85% of my craziness. There is still some there though. I think I will always be very self conscious. I think I will always compare myself to others too. I was at a party on the weekend, looking at all the people. The ladies at this party are all my age. I'm used to being around younger people at the gym and at work. These ladies all had average bodies for people my age and I stood there looking at their rolls and big butts and wondering "Why can't I be happy to be like them?" Like everyone was just there, having a good time, enjoying the party. I was probably the only loser wondering how much sugar is in the jello shooters. :( But then the next day I went to the gym and I actually worked out in a bra top, which has been a dream of mine since FOREVER. So who knows? Maybe all this pain (not just the surgery, also the working out and careful eating) is worth it in the end? Maybe I should enjoy those moments of not hating my body and not feel guilty? Maybe I should just stop trying to put a moral value on a surgery. Just say "I had extra skin, I didn't like it, now it's gone." Instead of constantly judging whether it's "okay" for people to have surgery or whether it's "vain" or "cheating" or whatever-the-eff people always say about it.

I love your workout blogging (and your results, you look amazing, including your BB!) It's very encouraging to hear that you were exercising so much and so early. I am telling myself that only walking for the month or 2 then gradually adding more movement, jogging, etc. no attempts to use my abs until 3+ months.
I think that is a really good plan. I didn't even want to walk for the first few weeks. It hurt too bad and I would get that feeling inside like there was a meat hook pulling at my abs. Yuck. I've been surprised at how weak my abs are for certain moves. Some things I just can't do at all. My massage therapist recommended some rehab exercises for me.
You look great!!! I'm little over three weeks with tt and lipo on the upper abs and flanks!! I'm in the swell hell blues reading your story and seeing your pics has helped and I no will get pass this but hurry up already Lol!! Best of luck to you look Fab!!!!

Stitch spitting

Okay so I developed that little spot on my bb that had a bit of pus and became a tiny small hole. Last night I could see a stitch inside and I tried to pull it out but it wouldn't come. Today I was able to pick it out. I hope the little hole heals up by next week for my cruise!!

Pics

I forgot to add that my scar is FINALLY starting to fade!!

Lol, on the explanation of why we did this! It always annoys me when people say that! Oh you don't need surgery! You look fine! You had three kids. Ugh. Or that all we needed to do is work out more! Working out does not take away skin! In fact, my muscles were pretty tight with very little separation but my skin lost its tightness!!! Try not to worry what others will think! Everyone will always have an opinion until they do it themselves! As for others happy at the party! Was alcohol involved, lol. A few drinks later, they may have started to complain about there bodies too!!! You look awesome!!!
It is a giant, ginormous, huge annoying piss-off when I see people asking how to get rid of the extra skin and some jerk-off tells them to keep exercising and it will go away. That makes me so mad!! It makes it sound like we had extra skin because we didn't work hard enough. Holy crap 1-2 hours a day, sometimes more in the gym and you are telling me I just need to do more? And maybe add a "salt scrub"?????!!!! They removed six inches of skin from bb to pubis from me. I don't think that more jumping jacks was going to melt that off. It just makes women feel bad about themselves because it isn't working for them. :( Well whatever. I guess I should relax more. haha
Pmsl at u!! Get it outta u!! :-)

Ten weeks

Here are some pics. In the right light you can really see my abdomen starting to take shape. Yay!

I have started doing some rehab type exercises for my abs. Stuff like bringing knees to chest (carefully!) and lowering knees to the side. I feel like my abs are starting to "wake up" and learning how to work again.

I have been doing a body building program as well as back to teaching my classes now. I still haven't attempted a tuck jump, but I think I would possibly be ready for it. I'd say I'm back to 75% now.

You rock! I love reading your updates and I also want to thank you for posting all the info on working out. What a huge help. You truly have a very beautiful, feminine yet sporty, sexy body (lol)! Your hard work and dedication shows! Congratulations! xoxo
You have no idea how much your compliment made my day!!!
You looking amazing! Congrats on the bikini fun!

Three months!!

Okay guys, my official three month anniversary is on Monday! Unbelievable!

Last week I went on a cruise and it was fantastic. I wore my bikini the whole time. I felt amazing. The salty and fatty food was really good. I put on four pounds, but it was gone within three days after I returned, so I'm sure it was mostly just water retention from the crappy food. (Crappy health-wise, not taste!)

I continued to workout while on vacation. The cruise ship has a gym, so I went there about four days. I also chose excursions off the boat that were active, like hiking and kayaking. I wore spf 60 on my bb and scar, and tried to keep something sitting on my bb when I was just lying around. Usually I wadded up a tee and put my book on top of it so that I didn't look to silly hiding my bb from the sun. :)

I have really started in on training my abdominals. Holy wow I am not as strong as I used to be. I used to hold a plank about three minutes - I can't do that anymore. I find the hardest moves are actually bicycle crunches, which is funny because that's supposed to be mostly obliques, which they didn't operate on!! I do feel a lot of soreness in my abs after exercising them, but it is exercise soreness, not injury type soreness.

I rarely feel any pulling anymore. Now I find the most disturbing feeling is the numbness. And on the edges of the numbness is sort of a yucky skin tenderness/soreness where the nerves are regenerating. When I lean up against a counter, for example, it is a very unpleasant feeling in my skin.

I had noooooo idea when I signed up for this just how long the healing would take. It is quite a journey we embarked upon...

3 month pics

Nice pix, u look so gr8!!
You are looking marvelous, you must be so happy. You are an inspiration for me to get back to exercise, well, honestly, I never liked it, maybe I will now.
The nice thing is that now that your extra skin is gone the results will be way more visible when you put in the work. That might help motivate you!! :)

New year

Happy new year everyone! Xmas was challenging for me and I've put on a few pounds :( I have made my goals for the next little while and hopefully the weight drops quickly. January is a good time to focus on my body because all that Xmas food is gone out of my sight.

Looking fabulous!!!
Thank goodness all the junk is gone here too! I ate the last of it just to get it out of the house! ;)

3.5 mo

I don't have a lot to say.. Been working out a lot and while I'm not where I used to be, I'm certainly able to push my hardest. My abs are still very weak compared to before. It hurts to work them out, but I feel like it's no longer a surgery hurt. I think it's like when I first started working out and they just used to be weak and hurt after workouts. I feel very happy with my progress.

I wish this scar would hurry up and fade. There are a few spots it's starting to disappear, but overall it is still quite purple. I also am annoyed by this little dog ear. It make a funny shape stick over my workout shorts. It's not super noticeable, but I sure see it. To me it's like a big neon sign! Lol

I will add some photos in a separate post.

3.5 month pics

i think you look great~ good luck focusing on you! =)
WOW! You look incredible!!!
You look so muscular! Awesome!

Five months

Things are going great. My scars around the bb have really softened up and are starting to fade. I'm so happy with my results and finally have gotten past the regrets that I was feeling. I am so happy I had this done.

Thank you so much for this detailed account of your experience so far. I just scheduled my surgery for April and I am not so much afraid of the surgery, anesthesia, result, scar, etc. My biggest fear/worry is the recovery and losing the degree of fitness I have worked so hard for over the past 2 years. I also lost a lot of weight (60 lbs) and have gotten myself into the best shape of my life, working out 7 days a week and eating clean. My stomach looks pretty similar to your "before" ... maybe I'm a little wrinklier, but just as hang-y. Oh man, I am scared. I am not looking forward to the recovery. Your posts have meant more to me than most, since our stories are so similar and you have really provided a detailed, realistic account for me so I have a better idea what I will be facing as opposed to the general info my PS has provided. Still scared though. You look great, I hope my surgery turns out as well as yours.
Good luck! I'm sure your results will be amazing. Now that I'm about 5 months out, I am able to do everything I could do before surgery. It is so worth it. I feel like I wasted a lot of time worrying about the fitness thing and I wish I'd been more relaxed. :) the most amazing thing is how confident I feel now at the gym. I am able to wear whatever I want, including a sports bra, and I feel great. You are going to love your results.
As a fellow workoutaholic, thanks for the review. I am going to get my surgery in 17 days and the recovery from working out scares the crap out of me. I kick butt in core exercises and can hold plank for over four minutes no problem. I thought I would be back faster because I am in good shape, but I know I need to lower the expectations. Thanks for showing its a sacrifice but it is worth it! You look amazing.

Seven months

I don't have much to say, but I thought I'd update some photos.

Dog ear

I forgot to mention that I have a small dog ear on one side that for sure needs to be fixed. It actually sticks out a bit over my shorts. I see PS in two weeks to discuss it. Does anyone know what the recovery is for that? I'm assuming it's just a small repair - I hope the scar isn't dark and purple again. It's taking soooo long for it to fade!

Hows ur recovery? Did u decide if ur going to fix the dog ear? Ur looking great!
You look amazing! !!
Thank you!

One year later!

Anniversary is in two weeks. All the swelling is finally gone. I am so happy with my results. I still need the dog ear fixed, but my PS has a very serious illness and I'm not sure if he's going to get better. I may be on the hook to get a new PS and pay. That sucks but it's certainly out of anyone's control at this point.

I wish my belly button were a bit different, but I would 100% do this again exactly as I did if I could turn back time.

Whoo whoo! You look great! Seems your scar has lightened nicely too! I wouldn't think a dog ear fix would cost very much. I can't tell if I have one or am just carrying weight in that area. Love the definition your have!
Thanks. My dog ear is pretty obvious. It makes a little point and sometimes sticks out the top of my shorts. I will need to have it fixed at some point. It's not horrible, and I think most people would have no idea what it is. It would just look like a weird roll or wrinkle to the average person.
Ya thats the way mine looks. I may revisit my PS then!