Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, Turbinate Reduction. 4.5 weeks post-op.

I've had trouble breathing out of my nose since I...

I've had trouble breathing out of my nose since I was a teenager. I've also always been bothered by the appearance of my nose, especially the profile. I've often longed for a less prominent and more feminine nose. This year I felt it was definitely time to do something about both problems.

I researched surgeons for awhile and set up my first consultation in December 2012 with Dr. John Bitner who both an ENT and facial plastic surgeon. Dr. Bitner and his staff were so personable and answered all of my "nerdy" questions. I was very happy with the 3D morphs he did. After feeling so comfortable with him and also reading many favorable reviews, I decided to schedule my surgery for March 27th. He determined I had both a deviated septum (C-shaped) and my turbinates were also quite enlarged. My insurance will probably end up covering $1500-2000 of the total cost of surgery because of the breathing issues with my nose.

Besides the septoplasty and turbinate reduction, Dr. Bitner will take down the dorsal hump of my nose and will slightly raise my columella. I also have quite a boxy tip, so he will also do some tip refinement.

I had my pre-op appointment today. I am mostly nervous about the nausea following surgery. I had a lot of nausea and vomiting following my wisdom teeth removal (the only other surgery I've every had). The nurse was so helpful and made sure that my prescriptions included Zofran. I also picked up prescriptions for Prednisone (for swelling), Lortab, Keflex (an antibiotic) and Valium (to take just before surgery).

My surgery is early Wednesday morning, so I'll make sure I come back and update as soon as I'm lucid! :)

I'm kind of a private person, so I've included "anonymous" photos with my review. I am happy to send full photos of my face to anyone who is interested-you can PM me.

My surgery has been pushed to 1:30 PM. I'm super...

My surgery has been pushed to 1:30 PM. I'm super nervous since I'll have to think about it all morning. Oh well, at least I won't be hungry with butterflies in my stomach! (Can't eat or drink for 8 hours before surgery).

My surgery was this afternoon and went so well. I...

My surgery was this afternoon and went so well. I had absolutely no nausea afterward. I did have IV sedation and did wake up at the very end of my surgery. I think he was stitching me up. The most annoying thing was that I needed to cough and couldn't quite do it. I stayed in recovery for about an hour. I did have some pain, but took a Lortab and it kicked in pretty fast. I really just feel like I have a bad sinus infection at this point. No bruising or swelling at this point, but I'm sure it will change tomorrow. I'm still pretty loopy, so I'm going to rest and will update tomorrow.

Day Two - I actually had a decent night of sleep...

Day Two - I actually had a decent night of sleep last night. I slept with an airplane pillow sitting almost upright in a recliner. I'm surprised that I can actually breathe out of my nose somewhat. I'm trying not to because I don't want to aggravate any scabs that are forming, but it is nice to not be totally congested.

I hardly have any bruising just some faint dark marks under my eyes. I'm surprised since I am super-duper fair and I was sure I would look like I'd been in a fight. I don't have much swelling at all. I think this is due to taking oral prednisone. I'm also using a cooling eye mask instead of ice and it feels really good. I have also been using Arnica cream under my eyes.

I've been eating well. I had scrambled eggs, a banana and some whole fruit juices this morning. I haven't had to take any Lortab today, I've been managing everything just fine with Tylenol. My nose mainly feels really weird and I'm trying not to move it much. It does ache from time to time.

I've been pretty tired and have napped off and on. I don't have much energy for even watching TV, but I'm not even 24 hours from surgery, so I'm sure I'll get a little more energy back soon. I really can't stand for very long or go up stairs too much because I do start feeling woozy.

Here's to another day of healing! I've been pleasantly surprised with my recovery so far.

Day three- I still have minimal bruising and...

Day three- I still have minimal bruising and swelling today. I had a bit of a rough night. I couldn't sleep with my totally congested nose and super dry throat. I also had some throbbing under my cast. After taking some Tylenol, I felt much better and was able to sleep. The grossest thing is cleaning the dried blood and drippings from my nose. I guess I wasn't prepared for the millions of Q-tips I'd go through! :)

Day Four - Feeling quite good today! I even got a...

Day Four - Feeling quite good today! I even got a little airflow through the nostrils for a bit. My bruising and swelling are still pretty minimal. I can tell that the next few days will go slowly since my energy is improved, but I still need to take it easy and my cast looks kind of gross, so I don't think I'll be going out. My appetite is great (I think the oral prednisone is to thank for that.). My nose is super sore on the inside where my sutures are, so I don't really enjoy cleaning my nose, but it is a necessary evil.

Day 5&6 - Feeling pretty great! I'm able to...

Day 5&6 - Feeling pretty great! I'm able to breathe out of my nose most of the time and I can only imagine how great it will feel with stitches and splints out tomorrow. I barely have any bruising left and no swelling around my eyes at all. I'm excited to see my new nose tomorrow. I can already tell it's shorter and smaller already. :)

My cast is off! I have to admit it was a little...

My cast is off! I have to admit it was a little uncomfortable getting the stitches out, but I was happy to have the splints and gross sutures out.

I am so happy with the results. I absolutely love my new profile and even though my tip is super swollen, I know I'm going to love it in the end. I think my new nose makes me look happier and more youthful. I've added some updated pics and will definitely update as swelling subsides.

My cast is off! I have to admit it was a little...

My cast is off! I have to admit it was a little uncomfortable getting the stitches out, but I was happy to have the splints and gross sutures gone.

I'm almost 5 weeks post-op and I'm feeling really...

I'm almost 5 weeks post-op and I'm feeling really good. I've had a cold the last week which has resulted in a little extra nasal swelling overall, but amazingly I haven't been completely congested like I would have been before my surgery. My husband has also noticed an improvement in my snoring - bonus!

The swelling has come down a lot in the bridge of my nose. It's thinner and not very tender anymore. I've actually noticed a small bump in the bridge (probably where my "bump" was removed). It's not too noticeable, so I probably wouldn't have it rasped down if it remains. I do still have a lot of swelling in the tip of my nose. It's still pretty numb and tender. I have to say even with the swelling, I love my new nose. It suits me much more than my old "serious" and severe nose. I'm changing my "not sure" to "worth it!"
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking gorgeous! Your swelling has reduced a lot. Enjoy.......oh by the way, you have beautiful skin.
Great results congrats!! :)
Your nose looks lovely :) and tip swelling does suck. I just bought some arnica gel, it may be too late lol but it could still give me a placebo effect and I'm ok with that!!! Hahha I totally get you, I look like a child esp since I don't need to attack my eyes w makeup haha. It will only get better :)
Oh wow your nose is so cute now! :) congrats
It looks so good!!!! Congrats!
Omg! Your nose is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! Mine is similar to your old nose & I hope mine turns out like yours...wow!!! CONGRATS!!!
Thank you, you are too kind! Good luck to you. :)
Your nose looks lovely, really nice shape and suits your face (what I can see if it! ) much better. I agree with your comments in 3rd April update. Best wishes for continued smooth recovery!
Thank you so much! Good luck to you in your exciting journey.
Your nose loooks sooo amazing! I sent you a PM with some questions. Best of luck to you :)
Your new nose looks fab! Bet your so happy!! What a feeling when they take e cast off!!! Xx
Thank you so much! Your nose looks great too. It is so nice to be "cast free" at last!
Amazing results! You look incredible, congratulations! Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with the splints? Did they block you from breathing? (it looks like they did not from your posts). I am so so excited for you and can only hope my results and recovery are are amazing as yours. ~Maggie
Thank you so much, Maggie! The splints were mainly annoying. They didn't really block my breathing, but I could feel them inside my nose. It was freeing to have them out - I was amazed at the size of them. I think they ran the length of my septum-crazy! Good luck to you - I'm excited to follow your story.

Thanks so much for starting your story on RealSelf. You might want to ask your doc about anti-nausea meds. They help a lot of people. I definitely did not get nauseated at all after my revision and I'm not sure if that's why.

Looking forward to following along and seeing your results! Here's a list of supplies you might want for recovery.

All the best to you. I had the same procedures 10 weeks ago....you are going to be fine.
Thank you! I've been following your story and it's been so helpful to hear about your experience and then see your great results.
Thanks, that is lovely to hear. Congrats on going through the surgery, and I am pleased it went smoothly. Rest up and take it very slowly for the next couple of weeks as the turbinate area is susceptible to bleed very easily. I look forward to watching your progress!
Best of luck to you! Keep in mind there are 1600 plus people on here who have done this and did fine. It helps me. :)
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words.
Good Luck! I'm sure everything will go fantastically once you make it past the not being able to eat all morning part. I will be checking back with you to see how your recovery goes. ~Maggie
Thanks, Maggie! I appreciate your support.