Flanks, Bra Line, Abs, Hips, and Inner Thighs; Layton, UT

I had my procedure on Friday 3/22. It took about 5...

I had my procedure on Friday 3/22. It took about 5 hours and it wasn't a great experience. I woke up from the conscious sedation and I could feel the pain from the procedure. I have been very worried that this may have affected my results since I was crying out in pain for awhile which I imagine could be distracting to the doctor. I haven't gotten the reassurance from my doc that I have been looking for when I have brought it up a few times. They also had to put a catheter in because the procedure took so long which was very unpleasant when they took it out and the day or so after. I will also through out there that they were six hours late taking me back because the surgery before me was much more complex than anticipated. I was starving, thirsty, and nursing a killer caffeine headache for most of the day prior to my surgery. Right now I am not sure if I should have done the surgery. It was so expensive, very unpleasant, and I can't see a difference yet, so this is a hard time, for me and a lot of people I think. I am trying to be patient but it is hard. I am up 8 pounds since my surgery and even though I know it is water, it is hard for me deal with it. Fortunately, I only have bad bruises right around the back of my knees and really no where else so that is a plus.
I have been struggling with compression because I haven't found anything that is tight enough on my thighs that will still go around my tummy without squeezing me to death.

Today I have felt better than I have since before...

Today I have felt better than I have since before my surgery. My pain level was significantly less today than yesterday. I had to go back to work today and it wasn't too bad. While I have minimal bruising, I have quite a bit of swelling. My lower back is especially swollen and is still numb, so I think I must not have great circulation back there since the tumescent hasn't come out all the way yet. He said he took out about 6-7 pounds of fat, but I am up five pounds from surgery. Hopefully I have at least ten pounds of swelling right now!
I did get the compression garment I ordered from amazon today in the mail and it is much better. Thinner material, but tighter. It was only thirty dollars too so I am happy about that. I might get one more and take back the others I bought in town that were more money and not as good. I am going to try to take pictures tomorrow. I don't have before pictures except from the doctor so I need to see if he will give them to me. It might be interesting though for you all to see the progression from now to the next month or two, even with out the before shots.

Day 10: I got my first lymphatic massage today. It...

Day 10: I got my first lymphatic massage today. It was wonderful! I went to a therapist familiar with lymphatic massage, but not necessarily after liposuction. It didn't seem to matter at all. She was very gentle over my tender areas and said she could feel the hard pockets inside and was able to release them. I felt so loose after and just better! It did make me realize how numb I am everywhere and I am not sure if loss of sensation is normal and temporary. My lower back is almost completely numb. The therapist told me it seems to be especially concentrated around my incisions. I paid $45 for 30 minutes including tip if anyone needs a reference value. I scheduled a second appointment on Thursday. So worth it!
On a more general note: I have not taken any Percocet today, which will be my first completely narcotic free day since surgery. I am still taking Tylenol and still have quite a bit of tenderness in my thighs. I walk funny enough that at least one person notices every day. I also finished my antibiotic which makes me very happy since it was four times per day. I am as swollen as ever, more so because of my overindulgence yesterday, Easter. I am trying to eat clean today, moderate carbohydrates, low salt, whole foods, and lots of water. I didn't do as well as I had planned but I always do the worst on the first day or two and then it becomes easier. I guess I am officially dieting! This six pound weight gain is making me feel desperate!

I went in for a check up on Monday. Doc says I am...

I went in for a check up on Monday. Doc says I am looking good but I have a lot of hard swelling. He advised me to rub the areas in the direction of my groin where my lymph nodes are to facilitate draining, five minutes, twice a day. It is painful. I feel like I am aggravating the areas. I found a lint roller works very well to get smooth motions and doesn't make my hands tired. I got back to my presurgery weight on day 12 which made me soo happy! People have made comments about how great I am looking. I say I have been working out. It is exciting!

Day 24: I have been taking 3-5 mile walks and...

Day 24: I have been taking 3-5 mile walks and hiking but I can't run or make any jarring movements because the swelling moves and hurts. My thighs have softened up quite a bit. I compared my new pictures to the ones right after surgery and I actually think I look worse now than then. I really hope this is worth it! I don't think he did any damage so that is something. I just want this swelling to go away! I'm kinda sad today after taking my new pictures. :(

Through a friend

What do you mean by looking worse? Your legs look so much skinnier!!! I haven't started to work out either, but I dont'normally run, so I should probably get back to the gym asap.
I think you are right about my legs. :) The first thing I noticed after my surgery was my waist was quite a bit narrower in relation to my hips, but that has diminished now. One side especially has lost that contour so I think it is probably swelling. Hopefully! I love your attitude though! Very positive! I think I just had unrealistic expectations as far as recovery time so I have been feeling discouraged.
The same happened to me as of a few days ago! My waist looked tiny proportionately and now not so much. Also, by the end of the day, I have a little bump! All swelling. My massage therapist is now convinced I'm good to go so no more cooling minty anti swelling gel when she massages. She switched to anti cellulite skin firming cream now I stopped using my garment a couple days ago and skipped a night too. Now wearing only to sleep and wake up with a much smaller waist that when I go to bed I think that since the legs are getting thinner too the waist does not seem as small. I know what you mean because I feel the same way But I like it this way. Some days I wish I had gotten a bbl for the waist to look smaller
I stopped wearing my garment too. I guess that is alone is good progress!
I just got back from my lymph massage and the therapist told me that a lot of patients come in with hardened areas and that's because the liquid inside is forming protein... a seroma perhaps? So make sure you DO massage and try to see if you can go to a lymphatic massage because she said that she also does ultrasound to those patients to break down the tissue
ok so you did go get a massage. Keep going!!! It's completely worth it I swear. :)
I have gotten two but it is so pricey! I am massaging the areas myself twice a day per my PS and it seems to be helping. I am just so impatient! :)
you WILL notice things soon!!! OMG I thought I saw no improvement on my legs and my jeans are not as tight as before so improvement IS there just try to sleep with your legs up. And drink lots of water and walk tons!!! I took Arnica, that helped lots too! Happy 3 week anniversary :)
That's great. Yes, it takes awhile to get back to pre-surgery weight from all the swelling. I had my abs and flanks done on 2/22, so I am almost seven weeks post op now, and I am feeling pretty good and have lost about six pounds. You look great!
Hi there!!! Honestly, I have not been weighting myself, and I have not hopped on the scale for months now, but I roughly think I was 110lbs pre surgery (based on how pants fit lol) I then DID weight myself after surgery and I was 120lbs. I almost died lol. I just did weight myself again per your request and I'm 110lbs. Again, not exactly sure of my pre surgery weight but I'm happy with this weight, it's my normal weight. my clothes fit. ALL of them. Except for my skinny clothes that those belong to when I'm skinnier at about 105lb However, I have a feeling they WILL fit once the swelling goes down. My problem area was more of my legs than my waist or belly. However, I did have flanks and the doctor took out a lot of that and now I look super smooth up there. For the legs, I don't see much of a difference in size yet. The shape did definitely change, my legs look leaner and more straight. BUT my jeans are still a bit tight in the legs. A little tiny bit looser than before for sure. A whole lot looser on the waist if they are mid rise and normal if they are low rise on the waist As for the incisions, I have two big incisions like you UNDER my panty lines on the groin area. I have been using cicalfate (look it up on amazon). I tend to do keloid scars and ever since i've discovered this cream I have never had any keloids anymore. I got badly burnt from the oven last year (had to take antibiotics and all, but no scars, so use this if you can) As for the compression garment, I agree. The one that I paid $100 for, compresses my thighs but not my abdomen or waist. So I've been using spanx leggings. Those compress my flanks and the top of my thighs but my massage therapist told me she feels like I no longer need this as I am no longer swelling. In fact, the swelling is decreasing. So I might not wear it today when I go out for a walk after work. I've been walking religiously and it truly helps Also, (sorry for the long post LOL), none of my friends have noticed yet. Because the major results are in the waist and they saw me wearing a loose blouse. But I can't wait to look fantastic in a bikini!!!
What compression garment did you get? My PS is having me wear 2 which I don't think I will be happy with its the capri type pants and a stomach wrap. I think I want a one piece. And since I am getting my bra rolls done maybe one with a built in bra???
I have had major issues with compression. Just remember it is for your benefit and comfort, especially to reduce early swelling. If you read on the question and answer from the doctors many say there is no evidence compression changes long-term outcomes. I have found it really difficult to find a compression that is tight on every area. The ones I have found tend to be looser on my thighs and bra line and tight on my abdomen. Gravity really helps with bra line swelling so it isn't as important, according to my PS. A sports bra might work just fine if it doesn't cut into you anywhere (you don't want permanent indentations). For me, I have found the most comfort and support with carpi type pants that go up to my waist with a spanx-like tank top on my upper body, sans bra. I sometimes wear two garments on the bottom because I haven't found anything that gives me great thigh support. The less support I have on my thighs the more difficult it is for me to walk without pain. It does depend on the pants I wear though. Here is link for you, but I found all of these garments to be expensive. http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/liposuction/liposuction-compression-garments-t55681.html I bought a body suit on amazon I like except for the bathroom hole being useless. I have to undress to go which is annoying. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007J5RPXE/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Get the Marena garment. My PS supplied one. It is a capri, with a band under the breasts. Zippers on both sides. I loved it until it got toooooo big - just 3 weeks. I'm now wearing spanx, flexies, panty hose, leggings. Really whatever I can find to give a little support. The garment slides down about 6 inches as soon as I stand up. It doesn't help me anymore.
I feel traumatized from being awake. You two are brave!
I didn't eat too well on Easter either. It wasn't horrible, mostly shrimp and veggies from the brunch buffet, but the smoked salmon got me. I didn't even touch anything cake-like. Eh - But I just figured out I was actually PMSing. So - yup. That would explain a lot of my bloating/swelling! LOL! Hang in there - you're doing well! One day at a time!
Sounds like you did well! Ug, that ham I ate was so salty, but so good! Salmon sounds good for you. Was it too salty?
Yeah 0 smoked salmon is salty. I didn't have that much. I'm also wondering if perhaps my 3 mile walk with my dog contributed to the swelling also! LOL! I've been trying to increse my walking - speaking of... OFF to the gym!
We had surgery the same day! Mine was only 2.5 hours... Btw, I'm still very numb on the lower back (flanks). And still swollen. I refuse to weigh myself but I was 12lbs heavier the morning after 10lbs heavier right after surgery I'm sure it's much better now because I can fit into my normal clothes again Weight is very relative just keep walking and drinking tons of fluids. It will help!! Your body went through a lot and your shape will change. Don't expect weight loss!! At least for now Low sodium, low carb diet works best for me. I was barely swollen on day 4! I always swell more in the afternoon but wake up almost normal and better as each day goes by Happy healing!
Low carbohydrate diets have always been the only thing that has every worked for me, but I really don't want to start dieting! I am feeling desperate though so I started on a low-moderate carbohydrate diet today. I cut out salt once when I went paleo and it was so hard! I know it will help, so I am giving it a go.That is great you had so little swelling! Stories like that had me hoping I would also have minimal swelling, but I have so much!
I guess it's not hard for me because it's a lifestyle more than a diet.. I do eat the occasional carbs (pizza, McD, junk food in general) But it's not everyday, and maybe once or twice a week and I do not binge. The rest of the days is just high protein, low carb for the most part. I'm not into any atkins or paleo or anything, just cut out all flour, sugar, and carbs in general. I do eat fruits but not that many in the winter, a lot more in the summer. Other than that, walk walk walk!! and drink at least a gallon. Your pee should be clear each and everytime!! I go to pee at least 4 times during the night but it's so worth it. I wake up so skinny!! swelling during the day is normal, we JUST had surgery!!!
You have motivated me to drink more!
Wow! I can't believe it took 5 hours but that was a lot of Lipo hun! I am 19 days out from abs, flanks, outer thighs, and knees. I also have a breast lift and implant and was under for just over 3 hours with general. Did they not provide you with a compression garment? I would suggest the Marena garment. I live it in at minimum of 18-20 hours per day (doc says 16 minimum) and was in it 24 hours a day for the first 4 days before my post op. As believenow says, the arnica homeopathic helped me before and after. Before it was provided by my doc and for 3 days after. I picked up more from the health food store and arnica lotion/gel. I didn't really see changes until 10 days(ish) you can see my pics on my profile. I still don't see changes in my knees or hips as much as I do my abs/flanks. But I'm still bruised, lumpy and swollen though totally managable! Just got back from taking my dog for almost a 3 mile walk - so yes - it's been managable. The first week was tough. I would get a full body of one of these based on your current measurements. You wouldn't regret as you'll need to wear it 18-24 hours for the next 6-8 weeks. http://marenagroup.com/ Hang in there! It does get better!
They put me in a garment directly after surgery to wear for five days. It was so uncomfortable I got a different one to use after that, with my doctor's permission. He doesn't provide or charge for secondary garments. He said he had too many complaints when he provided them and people often bought different ones. I got spanks-like garments and I am doing okay with them. They are comfortable, but I do wish they were tighter on my thighs. The compression on my stomach and flanks is great though. About Arnica... I am in school to become a pharmacist so I looked it up when I heard so many people were using it. Oral arnica has serious health risks, including arrythmias, death of heart muscle, severe increases in blood pressure and heart rate, inflammation of the GI tract, and muscle paralysis. People have died ingesting arnica. There is no proven benefit. Beware!
I agree about the Arnica. The oral tabs made my heart race. I even tried the gel to apply topically and after 3 days, I had the same thing happen again, heart rate was up so I stopped using the gel as well.
You have had major surgery. Take it easy. Lipo is not a walk in the park with that much fat removed. I had 4000CC and in all the areas as you. Full back, full abs, flanks and inner thighs. Even my back neck...yikes.. Compressions garment is so important and the medical grade is recommended till 1 month after. Photos really tell the picture for you to see the difference. With that much removed you must be really swollen to not see a huge change. It was so rough for me for 2 weeks. I wanted to die and cried a lot. Now 2 months I am amazed with the difference and I did lose 8lbs which has kept off. So once your swelling goes down things will change a lot. I used arnica tabs and gell faithfully and my bruising was gone in 2 weeks mostly. That is a long surgery and you just had local?? OMG...keep us posted and know we all feel what you are feeling!!