Finally Taking the Plunge and Doing Smart Lipo - Las Vegas, NV

Hello all. I'm anxiously awaiting the Smart Lipo...

Hello all. I'm anxiously awaiting the Smart Lipo procedure I'm getting tomorrow afternoon, and I figured, what better way to calm my nerves than to write about it? The reviews on this site have been so helpful to me so far in this process, so I decided to pay it forward.

I am 29 years old, 5'7" and 125 pounds. I work out every day, but even when I was in high school, I had a stubborn pocket of fat in my midsection. It was there when I danced professionally in a ballet company and when I went on restrictive, low-calorie diets, and at my slimmest when I was a first-year teacher and on my feet all day.

After a lot of research, I decided to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cambeiro. He's one of the most respected cosmetic surgeons in Las Vegas, and has a lot of great reviews on the internet. I initially went to inquire about traditional liposuction, but the doctor told me that I would be a good candidate for Smart Lipo because I am relatively thin, and the procedure would be less expensive because it can be done in the office under local anesthesia instead of at a hospital under general anesthesia. I will be doing three sections: lower abs, flanks, and inner thighs. I wasn't planning on doing inner thighs, but additional sections were only $1000 a piece and I figured I would regret not getting everything I wanted later on. I'm a little nervous since the doctor told me the inner thigh area is the most likely to turn out bumpy. There's always a chance there can be some permanent bumps because every person's body reacts to the procedure differently. He did say that because I'm young and have not had children, this was less likely for me because of skin quality, etc.

To prep for surgery, I was given four prescriptions. Two of these are to help make me loopy for surgery tomorrow since I'll technically be awake. They also said I would be able to bring an iPod and listen to music during the procedure to relax.

I've been taking Arnica and Bromelain (which I bought at a vitamin store) because it's supposed to help with bruising. I'm also taking a multivitamin to make sure I'm extra healthy. Other than that, I plan to try to get as much sleep as possible tonight and shower with antibacterial soap before surgery tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous, so wish me luck! Before and after photos coming soon!

After surgery update #1

Ok, I'm trying to keep myself occupied while resting because my boyfriend insists I stay inactive even though I feel pretty darn good. Let me start from where I left off...

The day of surgery I was really nervous. The sweet nurse took my back to the exam room where I took my anti-anxiety, pain killer, and anti-nausea pills. The anti-nausea is basically in case the pain killer makes your stomach upset. Make sure to eat a light meal just in case before you go in for surgery so you're not taking the pills on an empty stomach. Also, remember to drink something because you'll have to take a pregnancy test when you get to the office (pee in a cup).

Between the time I took the pills and the time Dr. Cambeiro came in, I was already starting to feel loopy, which made the part when I stripped down and he drew all over me with a sharpie a lot less weird. A minute later, the nurse led me into the surgery room where she painted me with iodine and had me lay down on this table. Then she covered my eyes with a cloth and turned on the radio. I was pretty relaxed at this point. The doctor came in, and he and the two OR nurses got to work.

The surgery lasted 2 hours for the three sections, but it definitely didn't feel that long. Most of the time, I barely felt a thing, but even when there was intermittent poking, the pain wasn't any worse than getting a shot. I could definitely feel oozing and pulling at some points, so I'm glad I couldn't see anything even though it was pretty much painless! Afterward, the nurses helped my get into my compression garment, gave me some juice, and my boyfriend drove me home. I ate some ice cream and fell asleep for a long time. I honestly didn't have to take any more painkillers--only Tylenol after that. It really only hurts to get up and down, and even then, the pain is about a 3 on a 10 scale.

Last night, I was able to shower finally (must wait 48 hours), which was great. I have been pretty itchy, which I've read is a sign that your body is healing. It can also be a reaction of exterior nerves that were damaged during the surgery repairing, but it any case, it's a good thing. The itching was pretty annoying last night, so I took a walk and some pain killer and slept it off, but it's better today.

One symptom that I hadn't heard anyone talk about was the fact that I was ravenously hungry the day following surgery. I mean, if I didn't eat every hour, my stomach felt like it was eating itself. I figure this is both due to the healing process and my body losing its fat reserves, but I'm not a doctor, so I'm not sure.

Results-wise, I'm of course really swollen. I have a lot of bruising on my flanks, but not much on my stomach or thighs at all. I don't see any bumps or anything though, so I'm pretty relieved about that. I can't wait to see the results reveal themselves.

Pre-op photos

Here are some photos I took the night before surgery.

One week post-op

Today was my one week post-op appointment. I had my stitches taken out and a check up and everything looks good. I found out that the doctor removed about 1400 ccs of fat. He also said that I had started swelling before I even left the OR, which was good to hear because I had read how tiny everyone else felt on this site right after and I didn't feel tiny at all. This means my final results are yet to be determined! I'm very swollen but moving around fine. They said I would be able to work out in 2 weeks, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm posting some photos that I took today, as well as one of the actual puncture sites. I know many people are worried about having scars and having people ask questions about them, but I can reassure you, they are really tiny. My mom also suggested rubbing scars with coconut oil, which she did after surgery and said it worked great, so I think after I heal a little more I'll try that.

Two weeks post-op

I can't believe it's already been two weeks since my procedure. I'm feeling a lot better. First, I'm actually getting used to wearing Spanx all the time (even in 120 degree heat). I've also been doing some speed walking around the track at the gym until I can really start my workout again next week. This is the first week when I really feel like I can move around without pain. My stomach doesn't hurt anymore when I lean over, and some of the feeling in my abdomen is returning.

A lot of my swelling has gone down. My stomach and flanks are a lot thinner. As you will be able to see from my photos this week, the left side of my stomach is still more swollen than the other side. One thing I've noticed is that my inner thighs didn't begin bruising until after about a week in. They're still pretty tender to the touch, and I am having some of the hard, sore, lumpiness that some other people have spoken about when healing from this procedure. I think I'm probably going to try massage and endermologie treatments, which are said to help aid in the healing process. I have been using coconut oil on the scars a few times every day, and they have really started to fade. They're not really noticeable unless you're looking for them. I'm curious to see whether some swelling will return once I really start exercising again, but I hope not. I'm happy with how things are progressing, knowing that I won't really be able to see my full results for 4-6 more months.

More two-week post op photos

Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon