Extremely Satisfied Veteran - Las Vegas, NV

That's right my cost was zero. And do you know...

That's right my cost was zero. And do you know why? Because for the last two years Clear Choice has run a little know contest for Veterans called " Star Spangled Smiles". What they do is select from people in each of the cities where they have Clear Choice Dental Implant Centers, who know of a veteran in need of implants. One veteran ( male or female) is then selected for partial or full implants. I know this because I was the fortunate Veteran who won this in 2010 in Las Vegas.

I have nothing but praise for the entire staff at C.C. No matter what my needs have been (why have been very little!!) they never hesitated to meet my needs. Also I have never been made to wait for appointment once I got there like most doctor offices. Since they won't brag to the public that they do this for veterans, other than on their web site, I will.I went from having no teeth in my mouth to having a full set of beautiful implants. I LOVE MY TEETH, I LOVE MY SMILE, I LOVE CLEAR CHOICE, I THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU CLEAR CHOICE !!. I feel what they have done for veterans deserves to be said and let everyone know how Clear Choice respects what veterans have done for our country and I am very Thankful for that. Jim

Dr. Brown and staff

SAID IT ALL ABOVE. However I will add that many doctors and staff are involved in this process and they all were fantastic. JIm

I'm going to have to look into this contest as well. My lower teeth have been a complete mess since I was a young child....my dentist (in early 60's) was 70 yrs old and would say "oh! you still have a baby tooth there? That doesn't need to be there anymore" and then YANK! It's out. Now I've got teeth that grew in sideways, I've got missing teeth, etc. The Air Force was great about doing all my uppers with crowns and veneers but said they couldn't do the bottoms because it would be considered cosmetic dentistry. Nevermind the fact that I've always had speech problems because of them and I know a big reason I can't find work these days is because of what my teeth look like when I talk. In the meantime, I barely get by on my pension and without a job I can't afford the cost of dental work. I too am in a catch 22. Retired vet, 56 years old, and the VA says they can't take care of my dental needs because I'm not 100% disabled, combat wounded, or a Medal of Honor recipient. I've got insurance through Delta Dental but they only pay up to $1000 per year and then I'm on the hook for the rest of any work done. So does anyone know how to get submitted or considered for this contest? I live in Saint Cloud, MN and I know there are a few Clear Choice facilities within a reasonable distance of me. Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone may have. My email is ***@***.net
Please don't put any personally identifiable information in public comments.  This is for your own safety, and is part of our Community Guidelines.  People can respond to your comment via comments, or, more privately, via the Private Messaging system.  When you receive a Private Message, it will notify you via email, so make sure your RealSelf mails don't go straight to junk mail filtering!

Good luck, and I hope yours will be a success story sometime soon!

BTW, have you ever tried going the teaching dental school route?
@twoplusone, yes. I tried a few years ago with the dentistry school at our state university. They couldn't do anything because they wouldn't take Delta Dental as insurance.
I'd like to hear a little bit more about that, because I have no idea how it works.  I thought the idea was that they were supposed to be cheap enough that people could afford it without insurance. Others in this thread have mentioned this option before but not described it much, so any info you could give would be highly appreciated--like how you found the place, what questions they asked, paperwork, and the types of prices.  Thank you!
I just called the Dental School at our State University and asked about the possibility of getting dental work done by their students because I was unemployed with a very limited income from a pension and no savings. They said they could explore the possibility after an initial consult. I made an appointment, drove 75 miles to the University, found my way to the dental facility and identified myself. They gave me paperwork to fill out which I did and handed back to them. No sooner did I hand it to them and they noticed I had put down Delta Dental for insurance. After affirming I still had Delta Dental they informed me they couldn't do anything for me because they can't accept Delta Dental. I asked "Even if no claims are submitted to Delta?" and they said "even then". As long as I had dental insurance through Delta, I could not be seen by the school/dental students. I didn't understand it then and I still don't and that was 3 years ago.
p.s. I never did get to the point of a consult or talking to anyone beyond the receptionist.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  This really surprises me.  Do you have Delta through the veteran's program?
yes, I pay an additional amount each month that is automatically deducted from my monthly pension. It's not cheap but at least I have some kind of basic coverage. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover much outside of routine checkups, yearly x-rays, cleanings, extractions, etc. No orthodontic services, appliances like bridges or braces, etc. Like I said, they only pay a percentage of each bill and I am on the hook for generally 30-50% each visit until they have paid out $1000. Then I have to pay 100% for anything after that until the next fiscal year at which point the plan essentially resets.
Thanks again!  Have you tried going to/telephoning your local Clear Choice offices and asking if they participate in the Star Spangled Smiles program?  I wonder whether it's something lots of offices participate in or if it's just the Las Vegas one.
I am contacting Holly at Corp for this wonderful contest. I am a Vietnam vet and will be praying for new teeth. It would be a blessing to have a beautiful smile again.
There needs to be a LOT MORE DONE to help people get and keep beautiful smiles. Not to mention a healthier way of life. Let's be honest, there are a few people that can afford these procedures without going bankrupt. The rest of us must continue to hope and dream one day we'll be rich enough to fix our smiles too.
Why no Star Spangled contest for 2012. I live in Charlotte NC and have appointment for consultation in May. I now know what it cost and I know I can't afford it. I wish there was another contest this year.
Hi Mark: I tried to send this earlier however not sure if it went through so will attempt one more time. I think there was a Star Spangle contest for 2012. I know a veteran won here in Las Vegas. The best person to contact for information is Holly @ Clear Choice Corp Headquarters in Denver. I am not sure of her phone number however the C/C number in Denver is 303 988-2254. Call them and ask them to connect you to Holly @ corp and she should be able to newer all your questions. Good lock. Jim Namvet 68
Hi Magen: Maintenance requirements are very simple. Brush twice a day and use a water pick each time. I was also given what I call a care package two times. Once when I got my temps and again with my permanent teeth. It consist of 3 different size brushes, soft gum picks and a shower floss which dilutes and flushes away plaque. This attaches to the shower head and is pretty cool. And for no added cost, every 6 months you can go in and they will sand blast your teeth at no additional cost !!!. Na just kidding about the sand blasting. Any way, hope this answer your question Megan. Thanks for the response JIm

Ha, yeah, the sand blasting might be a bit detrimental ;)

Glad to hear caring for them isn't too tough. Please keep us updated from time to time, we'd love to hear how things are going for you as time goes on.

It's not always bad hygiene ya know. With mine it's prescription medications have rotted my teeth.
Hi!  What kind of medication has that side effect, if you wouldn't mind telling?  I think a lot of people are prescribed medications and don't even know such potentially devastating side-effects.

So happy to hear what great results you had!

I know there has been some discussions about what kinds of upkeep/cleaning is needed after the work is done. Do you mind sharing what kind of maintenance plan was recommended to keep everything in optimal shape?