Facial Reanimation, Brow Lift, Platinum Weight in Eye Lid! - Seattle, WA

I had 3 brain surgeries in 1-11. Since then my...

I had 3 brain surgeries in 1-11. Since then my face has been paralyzed on the left side. I hadn't been able to close my left eye since. I can now close my left eye! No more patches, eye lubricant! No more shampoo in my eye! Amazing!! Dr. Rigway is such a fantastic surgeon, such a fantastic human being. He treated with so much compassion,kindness, empathy, understanding, a truly fabulous experience. Since my brain surgeries I have been to numerous Dr.'s I have never had such an wonderful experience. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." ~ Leo Buscaglia Thanks a million, Diane :)
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. James Rigway is simply the best!

Wow, you have quite a story! I'd love to know more about what your surgeon did to give you back feeling/movement in the left side of your face. I'm very happy for you!

Hi Angie, Thanks! Since my surgeries in 1-11, I've had no movement on the left side of my face. 3 surgeries, first was drilling holes in my skull. 2nd was an 8 hr. tumor removal. 3rd was inserting a shunt to drain fluid down to my abdomen. Since these, I've had in home care with nurses and therapists. After waiting for the one year anniversary, my Neurosurgeon told me it hadn't been long enough. So we waited another long year. Next I was sent to a ENT spcialist who ran more testing. EMT, painful, detected no movement in the eyebrow, a little movement in the cheek. He told me he thought I'd waited too long. Missed my window of opportunity. Sent me to a Plastic surgeon. Dr. Rigway, who was so kind, he treated me with respect, kindness and compassion. He said he could do the brow lift and insert the platinum in my eye lid. The first Dr. appt., since 1-11, that I had a positive outcome. Since he did the surgery, I can finally close my left eye. I don't have to wear patches on it. Don't have to put lubricant under my eyelid. The difference it has made in my quality of life, is just amazing. Next, I am going to have surgeries to get my smile back. Will post more after, with pic's, Thanks, Diane Bohl
I had surgery that has left the left side of my face paralyzed now for almost 11 years. I had a gold weight implanted and it has been a real help. In fact, the first one worked it's way out of my eyelid after 10 years and I've just had the second one put in. My question is, how did the brow lift go? How was it performed, i.e. direct, in the hairline, etc. My Dr is suggesting one for me doing it the direct method with the incision just above my eyebrow. I'm nervous
Hi, it sounds like our faces were left pretty much the same . Sorry to hear about your weight, didn't know that could happen. I'm totally happy with the outcome from my brow lift. It is above my left eyebrow. The scar looks almost like the lines on the right side. There was a lift done on the corner of my eye also.. I'm going in to have 2 more surgeries that will hopefully enable me to smile again. I'll be having my two Dr.'s operating on me. One will take out the long muscle from my inner thigh while the other will be operating on my cheek, think they call it a flap. Microvascular surgery. It will take 7 hrs. I will be in the ICU for 3 days then another 5 to 7 after. Really understand your nervousness, but it will be so worth it. Looked like I'd been in a boxing match for a couple weeks. It will be so worth it. :)
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to have your eyebrow surgery under local anesthesia? They told me I had to have it that way and then general anesthesia for the nasal valve reconstruction to be done immediately following the brow lift.
You are so welcome. No, I had it done under general. Think they categorized it as 3 surgeries. Best of luck to you with yours. Don't understand why the local.??
I had my surgeries done yesterday. It was done under local with nerve calming drugs so they could position the brow exactly where they wanted it. I had to make different facial expressions. They then put me under to fix my collapsing nose.