Blessed to Have (Had) Dr. A on my Cancer Team - La Jolla, CA

In the big scheme of things being alive and...

In the big scheme of things being alive and healthy is the most important thing, but the thought of losing my breasts was extremely scary. Thanks to Dr. Apostolides I ended up with Picture Perfect Poster Boobs for Breast Cancer!!! My new girls are better than the old ones!

With my diagnosis, there was never a moment I did...

With my diagnosis, there was never a moment I did not consider reconstruction. I was a long time patient of Dr. Krant who quarterbacked my "fight" and without him and Dr. A I don't know where I would be today.

The first 3 mos were the most difficult emotionally and physically having had 3 surgeries ~ a lumpectomy, the bilateral mastectomy (the best decision I ever made) and finally replacing the expanders with silicone implants. The nipple reconstruction and fat grafting surgeries were done in 3 surgeries that occurred over the next 11 months leaving me whole again! From day of diagnosis to my final surgery the process took 14 months.

For many reasons (which I am happy to share but not sure this is the right forum), I wish I would have done the bilateral from the beginning. Having had it, I was able to avoid having radiation, which was key for me.

It's very hard to describe the sensations I experienced. Besides the obvious pain, my "girls" did not have the "peripheral vision" they used to have - they could not sense when to get out of the way. I still have a tingly feeling in my chest that can be aggravated by working out the chest or flying. Also I always sleep in a sports bra as the "girls" like to be supported.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Having been diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct '10 Dr. Apostolides saw me through my darkest days and made the process very easy when everything else was so complicated! He gave me hope and strength to fight the good fight! I could not have asked for better care ~ he is an amazing doctor and skilled surgeon!