Blessed to Have (Had) Dr. A on my Cancer Team - La Jolla, CA

In the big scheme of things being alive and...

In the big scheme of things being alive and healthy is the most important thing, but the thought of losing my breasts was extremely scary. Thanks to Dr. Apostolides I ended up with Picture Perfect Poster Boobs for Breast Cancer!!! My new girls are better than the old ones!

With my diagnosis, there was never a moment I did...

With my diagnosis, there was never a moment I did not consider reconstruction. I was a long time patient of Dr. Krant who quarterbacked my "fight" and without him and Dr. A I don't know where I would be today.

The first 3 mos were the most difficult emotionally and physically having had 3 surgeries ~ a lumpectomy, the bilateral mastectomy (the best decision I ever made) and finally replacing the expanders with silicone implants. The nipple reconstruction and fat grafting surgeries were done in 3 surgeries that occurred over the next 11 months leaving me whole again! From day of diagnosis to my final surgery the process took 14 months.

For many reasons (which I am happy to share but not sure this is the right forum), I wish I would have done the bilateral from the beginning. Having had it, I was able to avoid having radiation, which was key for me.

It's very hard to describe the sensations I experienced. Besides the obvious pain, my "girls" did not have the "peripheral vision" they used to have - they could not sense when to get out of the way. I still have a tingly feeling in my chest that can be aggravated by working out the chest or flying. Also I always sleep in a sports bra as the "girls" like to be supported.

Your breast/ areolas look great! I just looked vinnie up but hes in MA. Did you go out there to have it done. Im looking for someone in california. If you have any suggestions, let me know.. Thanks :)
It's nice to be at the end of the journey! I hope you are feeling well. I wish I did have a "local" suggestion for the tattoos, but I don't. VInnie is in Maryland ~ I made a girlfriend trip out of it by going to DC! I don't know if you have done further research on Vinnie but he is the "Michelangelo" of nipple tattooinig. You want to make sure whoever is doing them that they use the real tattoo ink and not the makeup ink, which will fade. Matching skin color is trickier than one thinks and he did an amazing job with mine, even putting in "Montgomery glands" on the areolas. You might check to see if he still goes to the Breast Cancer Hospital in New Orleans. It is listed on his VinnieMyers website. I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything else please don't hesitate to contact me again! xQQx
Thanks so much for the info. I actually emailed him and he was kind enough to email me back and he said he may be coming to california for a few clients! Did he only do one treatment for you? Or did you have to do a touch up? When was your procedure? Just trying to get a read on the fading and how its held up color wise. I also want to see if Ill need to have a 2nd treatment.
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Having been diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct '10 Dr. Apostolides saw me through my darkest days and made the process very easy when everything else was so complicated! He gave me hope and strength to fight the good fight! I could not have asked for better care ~ he is an amazing doctor and skilled surgeon!